PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Back to Life - 02/01/23 10:59 AM
Something a little different from us:

Back to Life (audio link), Back to Life (video link)

I keep a guitar in our family room and often noodle on it (unplugged!) while my wife is watching one of her cooking shows or decorating shows. The main theme (guitar panned left) came from noodling around and the rest of the song built on that.

The Band:

Realtrack: ~2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
MIDI Supertrack: 4435:Synth, Pad SynthMasterDelicateSounds Low2-note

Bass: Marty Straub from BabuMusic
Vocals: Christiane (Chris) Spruit
Drums: EZDrummer3

I'm playing the guitar parts (three tracks)

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone.

Back to Life (2023, Chris Spruit)

Here I am
Through the ages
Coming back to life
Back again
Cause life goes on, like a storm

GOOD bye my friends we'll be
One blink one tragedy
Interchangeably

Cause life goes on, like a storm

Back to life, Coming back to life

All comments welcome, and if you watch the video, please consider subscribing to our channel wink
Posted By: vicarn Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 12:03 PM
Cool sounds and vocal.
Very nice.

Vic
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 12:21 PM
Mornin' Blue....

Listening now.
Cool cut....mesmerizing instrumentation, good axe playing and good vox.
Kind of a Riders On The Storm vibe.

Very well done....I like it!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 01:11 PM
BlueAttitude,

What a great opening . . . really pulls the listener in. Terrific vocal and love the effects you’ve put on it—just perfect for the song. Excellent solo and the production value overall is off the charts. Outstanding!

My best to you all,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 01:12 PM
Classic Blue Attitude through and through.

Chris does an excellent job on the Write and the Vocals.
Marty's Bass - delicious.
Dave's always-delightful guitar work. Both "The Lick" and the Solos - tasty.

Good Drum choice.
Good mix.

Good Music.

fj
Posted By: firesong Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 02:41 PM
Dave, Marty and Chris...I love "noodles" and that was certainly some of the best I've tasted lately...really cool riff to ride on for sure...Dave your solo guitar work is exceptional again...Marty the bass is transparently there...unnoticeable but guiding the song like a good referee that you don't notice but the game can't go on without...and Christiane's vocal is beautiful, ethereal and haunting...love the vocal effects...five stars!
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 04:19 PM
Wow, loved the production! From the very beginning with that riff and then right on through - captivating sound. The effects used were fantastic. Everyone involved in this one was right on the money. Oh, and great ending bass lick Marty - great job everyone!

Brad
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Back to Life - 02/01/23 04:28 PM
Great atmospheric song, I really like what you guys are doing together.
Great vocals, guitar and bass and a great mix that ties it all together.
Well done!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 06:35 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Cool sounds and vocal.
Very nice.

Vic

Thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 06:37 AM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Mornin' Blue....

Listening now.
Cool cut....mesmerizing instrumentation, good axe playing and good vox.
Kind of a Riders On The Storm vibe.

Very well done....I like it!

Happy you liked this one!

Your comment on the Doors song made me smile, my working title for this song, before we had any lyrics, was A Floydian Storm wink
Posted By: rayc Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 07:14 AM
MAN, at 1.14 when the solo kicked it - it really KICKED!
I'd been musing on the cool left leaning guitar and then whammo - it was usurped.
The lyrics and melody definitely enhance the intro guitar's moodiness.
Mr Bassman - well it was his sound that set up the image in my scone of the trio playing on stage.
3.24 and that guitar is knocking on doors again.
Christine's floating vocals over the final solo are AMAZING.
Methinks I like it.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 08:02 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
[quote=chulaivet1966]Your comment on the Doors song made me smile, my working title for this song, before we had any lyrics, was A Floydian Storm wink

Ha....

Cool....I guess you're an old fossil too if you remember The Doors. smile

Back to it....
Posted By: RnAM Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 03:34 PM
Great music, a treat to the ears!
Nice video too.
Good lyrics and wonderful vocals.
And very good work by Dave and Marty.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 05:49 PM
Outstanding lyrics, vocal, and mix.
Christ great vocal!
Marty, excellent bass.
Dave, you have some very serious chops and those leads - WOW!
Loved it.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Back to Life - 02/02/23 06:58 PM
Pro all the way. If I were to tweak anything here it would be another 4dB on Marty's bass.
Dave, when is PG Music going to record you so the rest of us can utilize your great sound?
I love the whole thing.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/03/23 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
BlueAttitude,

What a great opening . . . really pulls the listener in. Terrific vocal and love the effects you’ve put on it—just perfect for the song. Excellent solo and the production value overall is off the charts. Outstanding!

My best to you all,

Deej

Thanks for the listen and kind words, Deej!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Back to Life - 02/03/23 11:31 AM
Hi Dave,

I liked this song - excellent guitar playing and good vocals.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Back to Life - 02/03/23 01:15 PM
Hi Dave,

Mysterious, a cool rhythm introduced by the guitar, super vocals from Chris, and exiting bass from Marty!
If this is the result of noodling while your wife is watching coocking programs than she must be some coock to let you make this kind of songs.
In a way I am joking, but not on the song. Its just great!
Tell your wife to take a glas rode wijn, and you to and enjoy what you made.
It is a very good one, Dave!!!

Greetings to Chris and Marty,
Hans
Posted By: tommyad Re: Back to Life - 02/03/23 06:56 PM
Dave, I also have an unplugged electric next to my recliner. I am a fellow noodler. The drums are a standout here along with the bass and and as always the lead guitar. Chris lays down a good vocal and I thought there was brevity in my lyrics but this one's got me beat. It says what it needs to say so why jumble it up with unnecessary words. excellent mix. I liked it, Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: Back to Life - 02/04/23 05:49 AM
This such a great song! It's almost hypnotic. I'm sure I'll be back for at least one more listen ... probably more. Each of you palyed your parts so dang good! Sounds like it just came out of an LA studio.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/04/23 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Classic Blue Attitude through and through.

Chris does an excellent job on the Write and the Vocals.
Marty's Bass - delicious.
Dave's always-delightful guitar work. Both "The Lick" and the Solos - tasty.

Good Drum choice.
Good mix.

Good Music.

fj

Appreciate that, floyd, thanks!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Back to Life - 02/04/23 12:17 PM
Of course, I love this song --even when it was an instrumental called Floydian Storm. But the coolest thing about it for me is seeing how Chris & Dave work so well together. It's almost like one of those time-lapse videos of a flower blooming. It starts with planting the seed when Dave asks Chris, "DO you want to do something with this?" After an enthusiastic reply, it starts to grow through the dirt, then rises to the sky and finally opens to a breathtaking flower. That kind of magic is enthralling to be a part of.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/05/23 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Dave, Marty and Chris...I love "noodles" and that was certainly some of the best I've tasted lately...really cool riff to ride on for sure...Dave your solo guitar work is exceptional again...Marty the bass is transparently there...unnoticeable but guiding the song like a good referee that you don't notice but the game can't go on without...and Christiane's vocal is beautiful, ethereal and haunting...love the vocal effects...five stars!

Thanks for the listen and kind words, Dan!

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Wow, loved the production! From the very beginning with that riff and then right on through - captivating sound. The effects used were fantastic. Everyone involved in this one was right on the money. Oh, and great ending bass lick Marty - great job everyone!

Brad

Appreciate that, Brad!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/06/23 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Great atmospheric song, I really like what you guys are doing together.
Great vocals, guitar and bass and a great mix that ties it all together.
Well done!

Thanks very much, B.D.!

Working with Chris and Marty is a blast, we have lots of fun working on these songs together.

Originally Posted By: rayc
MAN, at 1.14 when the solo kicked it - it really KICKED!
I'd been musing on the cool left leaning guitar and then whammo - it was usurped.
Mr Bassman - well it was his sound that set up the image in my scone of the trio playing on stage.
Methinks I like it.

Wow, thanks Ray! Made my day when I read that.

Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
[quote=chulaivet1966]Your comment on the Doors song made me smile, my working title for this song, before we had any lyrics, was A Floydian Storm wink

Ha....

Cool....I guess you're an old fossil too if you remember The Doors. smile

Back to it....

I'm definitely a child of the 60's which makes me old, and possibly also fossilized eek

I remember seeing the Beatles on the Sullivan show back in '64 like it was yesterday, what a game changer that was! And also remember seeing the Doors on that show doing Light my Fire, probably '67 or so I guess. I've got every album they ever did on vinyl. Love their moody tunes especially, Riders on the Storm of course is a classic.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Back to Life - 02/06/23 11:44 PM
Cool riff in the intro Dave. Love how you mixed it. Super vocal from Chris. Martys lays down a cool groove to the song. The drums were very cool as well. Excellent solo and love the bite in the tone. Well done...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/07/23 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Great music, a treat to the ears!
Nice video too.
Good lyrics and wonderful vocals.
And very good work by Dave and Marty.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Outstanding lyrics, vocal, and mix.
Christ great vocal!
Marty, excellent bass.
Dave, you have some very serious chops and those leads - WOW!
Loved it.

I'm just an old guy having fun, Mario wink Thanks!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Back to Life - 02/07/23 01:55 PM
Hi Chris, Marty and Dave
Excellent song
Great arrangement and realization
Sounds very professional
Each of you delivers a top performance
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Back to Life - 02/07/23 09:48 PM
Wow. This would have been really good as an instrumental but Chris' concise lyrics and haunting vocal take it to another level. Each of you is on great form here. Top shelf, team.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: dcuny Re: Back to Life - 02/08/23 04:14 AM
Guitars are excellent, as are the vocals - especially the layered bit. Mix and arrangement sounds bit.

Moody and atmospheric - love it!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Back to Life - 02/08/23 10:09 AM
Yeah there ain't nothing like a good old noodling session is there Dave!

Well this turned out great!!

Classic Blue Attitude is right!!

smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/09/23 07:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Pro all the way. If I were to tweak anything here it would be another 4dB on Marty's bass.
Dave, when is PG Music going to record you so the rest of us can utilize your great sound?
I love the whole thing.

Hi Bass Thumper,

Thanks for your very kind words, very much appreciated!

As far as the mix goes, I always come back to the mix a week or two later after the initial release, I find after not hearing the song for a while I'll often hear things I missed the first time.

I haven't done that yet with this one, but I'll pay special attention to the bass when I do that, it's possible it could come up a db or two. Any more than that would affect the balance of the entire mix, and that's a rabbit hole I want to avoid wink

Thanks again, I see you have a new one up, I'll be over shortly to give it a spin.

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Dave,

I liked this song - excellent guitar playing and good vocals.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Back to Life - 02/09/23 04:38 PM
Very beautiful mood, really enjoyed the melancholy guitar sound and the theme riff which took me to a dreamy place full of flowers (I'm glad there were wakening flowers in the video also). Marty's bassline is once again something to admire, like the tree of life in this musical paradise. Lovely harmony between all the instruments and vocals, all reaching for the same chi.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Back to Life - 02/09/23 07:42 PM
"MAN, at 1.14 when the solo kicked it - it really KICKED!
Methinks I like it."

What does one say after Ray's comments? He mentioned all of the goodness!
So no need to parse this one out ... ALL of the vocal/instrumental performances are stellar. As is the mix (outstanding drum choice too).

Both the song and the video are simply captivating! As Chulaivet said, it is mesmerizing.

And the images in the video are a perfect fit to the audio and lyric.

Y’all really hit this one out of the park, Dave.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/10/23 08:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave,

Mysterious, a cool rhythm introduced by the guitar, super vocals from Chris, and exiting bass from Marty!
If this is the result of noodling while your wife is watching coocking programs than she must be some coock to let you make this kind of songs.
In a way I am joking, but not on the song. Its just great!
Tell your wife to take a glas rode wijn, and you to and enjoy what you made.
It is a very good one, Dave!!!

Greetings to Chris and Marty,
Hans

Thanks very much, Hans! Oh, and we both had a couple of glasses of red wine last night BTW wink

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, I also have an unplugged electric next to my recliner. I am a fellow noodler. The drums are a standout here along with the bass and and as always the lead guitar. Chris lays down a good vocal and I thought there was brevity in my lyrics but this one's got me beat. It says what it needs to say so why jumble it up with unnecessary words. excellent mix. I liked it, Tom

Hi Tom,

Well, Chris can write a complex set of lyrics as good as anyone and better than most. Her genius is that she knows when to keep it simple.

For my noodling guitar I use my tele. It's my best sounding electric when played unplugged, and I don't use it much for recording, just the odd rhythm track.

Thanks very much for checking out the song, happy you liked it!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Back to Life - 02/12/23 10:59 AM
Thanks so much to everyone who mentioned my overrated contribution to this gem. Hopefully it means I'll get a callback for the next one. Most fun ever!!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/13/23 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
This such a great song! It's almost hypnotic. I'm sure I'll be back for at least one more listen ... probably more. Each of you palyed your parts so dang good! Sounds like it just came out of an LA studio.

Take care ...

Alan

Thanks for the listen, Alan, and great to see you back here again!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool riff in the intro Dave. Love how you mixed it. Super vocal from Chris. Marty lays down a cool groove to the song. The drums were very cool as well. Excellent solo and love the bite in the tone. Well done...

Appreciate that, Scott!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Chris, Marty and Dave
Excellent song
Great arrangement and realization
Sounds very professional
Each of you delivers a top performance
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/14/23 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Wow. This would have been really good as an instrumental but Chris' concise lyrics and haunting vocal take it to another level. Each of you is on great form here. Top shelf, team.
Regards,
Leon

Yeah, Chris always kicks things up a notch. Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Guitars are excellent, as are the vocals - especially the layered bit. Mix and arrangement sounds bit.

Moody and atmospheric - love it!

I'm a fan of moody from way back wink Thanks!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Yeah there ain't nothing like a good old noodling session is there Dave!

Well this turned out great!!

Classic Blue Attitude is right!!

smile

Thanks, David!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Back to Life - 02/14/23 07:48 PM
Dave

A sort of early 70's feel, (sort of Savoy Brown).

Superb in many ways, lovely vocal, excellent bass, drums are very well done and some beautiful guitar.

Loved it.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/16/23 08:12 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very beautiful mood, really enjoyed the melancholy guitar sound and the theme riff which took me to a dreamy place full of flowers (I'm glad there were wakening flowers in the video also). Marty's bassline is once again something to admire, like the tree of life in this musical paradise. Lovely harmony between all the instruments and vocals, all reaching for the same chi.

Janne

Hi Janne,

Love the way you describe Marty's bass part: "like the tree of life in this musical paradise", that's great!

Thanks, very much appreciate the review smile

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"MAN, at 1.14 when the solo kicked it - it really KICKED!
Methinks I like it."

What does one say after Ray's comments? He mentioned all of the goodness!
So no need to parse this one out ... ALL of the vocal/instrumental performances are stellar. As is the mix (outstanding drum choice too).

Both the song and the video are simply captivating! As Chulaivet said, it is mesmerizing.

And the images in the video are a perfect fit to the audio and lyric.

Y’all really hit this one out of the park, Dave.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Really appreciate that you two! Hopefully we will at least get to first base on the next song we do wink
Posted By: rsdean Re: Back to Life - 02/16/23 10:12 AM
Dave / Chris,

You guys have such a defined sound. I would recognize your songs anywhere.

This one is another outstanding rock / blues classic. Love the production, guitar and vocal.

EXCELLENT!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/17/23 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Thanks so much to everyone who mentioned my overrated contribution to this gem. Hopefully it means I'll get a callback for the next one. Most fun ever!!

Done!

And your part was by no means overrated, no way a BIAB bass player could add what you did to the song, your part was genius.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

A sort of early 70's feel, (sort of Savoy Brown).

Superb in many ways, lovely vocal, excellent bass, drums are very well done and some beautiful guitar.

Loved it.

Peter

Savoy Brown! Man, I played the grooves off that "Lookin' In" album back in the day, great stuff!

Thanks, Peter.
Posted By: olemon Re: Back to Life - 02/17/23 10:57 AM
Terrific.

It took me back through the ages to rock anthems/ballads of a few decades past.

I'm hearing lots of influences, Santana, Yes, Steely Dan, not to take anything away from your talents or this excellent original piece and production.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Back to Life - 02/19/23 08:51 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave / Chris,

You guys have such a defined sound. I would recognize your songs anywhere.

This one is another outstanding rock / blues classic. Love the production, guitar and vocal.

EXCELLENT!

Bob

Thanks very much, Bob, and great to see you back!

Originally Posted By: olemon
Terrific.

It took me back through the ages to rock anthems/ballads of a few decades past.

I'm hearing lots of influences, Santana, Yes, Steely Dan, not to take anything away from your talents or this excellent original piece and production.

We are definitely old school! Thanks for checking out the song!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Back to Life - 02/20/23 08:59 PM
Haunting opening riff. Chris's vocal slices through with her beautiful tone. Exquisite bass work. This is a top track. I love everything about it. Oh my......that sizzling guitar!!!
© PG Music Forums