PG Music Home
Posted By: RnAM NOT one of my songs - 02/02/23 04:46 PM
This is not one of my songs!
But it is an example for the Vocal Group I lead.

We were in France a few years ago, to sing with a French choir. They asked us to sing Va Pensiero with them, the classic version.
Va pensiero, also known as the "Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves", is a chorus from the opera Nabucco (1842) by Giuseppe Verdi.
It is the song in which the Israelites in Babylonian captivity mourn over their homeland.
The opera lovers among you will undoubtedly know the song.

When we came back we wanted to go on singing the song, but as we sing pop music mainly, they asked me to make music for a "nowadays" version of the song.
I made three BIAB versions, a quiet modest version, a pop version and.... the one they chose. Then I sang the three vocals (we are sopranos, mezzo sopranos and altos) and sent each of them their own part. Now we sing it together.
So what you hear now, is the music made by BIAB and my three vocals. My soprano is always a disaster, being an alto, but the sopranos do it better.
By listening to my strained voice, they know exactly how to sing the soprano part the way it should be laugh .
This is the way I teach them to sing the harmonies.

Anne-Marie

Style is _SLITHER.STY

RealTracks:
825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyA-B Sw16 075
880:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyStrum Sw16 075
2761:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavy16thsMurrayA-B Ev16 090
1838:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveSync4s Ev16 075
2511:Violin, Background PopEvenHigh Ev 120 (1TrackStringQuartet)
RealDrums [in style:RockTexas^1-a:HiHat, b:OpenHat
Posted By: firesong Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/02/23 05:14 PM
Anne-Marie...your voice is always pretty no matter what range you sing in...I'm not familiar with the song but find the background of it very interesting...I like the intro with the strumming rock guitar and the progression of the band...I can't understand the words but can hear the lament in the lyrics...very nice and quite interesting...what did they think of this version?
Posted By: MarioD Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/02/23 05:20 PM
Very nice.

Great harmonies and this must have been a bear to mix but you did a great job on it.
I don't need to understand the words to know a good song when I hear one and this is a very good song.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/02/23 05:36 PM
I'm not sure Verdi would approve, but I think it's a fresh interpretation of an old (and often covered) song.
I like it.
And, to be honest, in the context of the arrangement, your alto voice doesn't sound that bad.

And I LOVE your (slight) Dutch accent when you sing an Italian song grin
Posted By: RnAM Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/03/23 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Anne-Marie...your voice is always pretty no matter what range you sing in...I'm not familiar with the song but find the background of it very interesting...I like the intro with the strumming rock guitar and the progression of the band...I can't understand the words but can hear the lament in the lyrics...very nice and quite interesting...what did they think of this version?

Thanks Dan.
My vocal group likes this verdion very much. But I wonder what Verdi would think of it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/03/23 03:23 PM
Beautiful vocals
Good tracks
Excellent mix

Fj
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/03/23 03:31 PM
Very nice you two. I don't know a thing about opera, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the song. I sure like the sound you've got out of it though. Like Mario said, it sounds like a difficult one to mix, but it sure sounds good to me. And I thought the vocals were great - I didn't notice any strain. This was neat to hear!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/04/23 12:39 PM
Hi Anne-Marie,

What a surpise to hear you sing this song with the different vocals. I didn't expect it when reading your post.
Very good and entertaining too!
And the way you've made this pop version of mr verdi's song deserves a round of applause!
Or otherwise I'll do that on the phone one day ;-)

Groetjes,
Hans
Posted By: vicarn Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/04/23 02:24 PM
My hat's off to you, Anne-Marie.
I wouldn't have the nerve even to attempt this song.
Well done.

Vic
Posted By: David Snyder Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/04/23 07:16 PM

I really enjoyed this Anne-Marie!!

Very unique!!

I think your voice sounds great.
Posted By: rayc Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/05/23 07:06 AM
Joe Green wouldn't be unhappy to hear his melodies sung so sweetly along to an upbeat orchestration.
well done.
Posted By: RnAM Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/06/23 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Very nice.

Great harmonies and this must have been a bear to mix but you did a great job on it.
I don't need to understand the words to know a good song when I hear one and this is a very good song.

Thanks Mario.
Yes the mix was quite some work smile

Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/07/23 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I'm not sure Verdi would approve, but I think it's a fresh interpretation of an old (and often covered) song.
I like it.
And, to be honest, in the context of the arrangement, your alto voice doesn't sound that bad.

And I LOVE your (slight) Dutch accent when you sing an Italian song grin

A "slight" Dutch accent... well that's quite a compliment, because I don't speak Italian at all!
But I do speak some French and there are words in French and Italian that resemble each other.
No, I don't think Verdi would approve of my arrangement.
But thanks for your nice words B.D.

Anne-Marie
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/09/23 11:31 AM
Rob and Anne-Marie, you are very interesting folks, and this is a cool demonstration of that. Anne-Marie, there is no way you ever sing with disastrous effects. I listened a couple times to get a better sense of the harmony. Beautiful. I bet that choir in France was quite impressed with your rendition. I was.
Posted By: Scott C Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/10/23 11:09 PM
Very cool vocal Anne-Marie and Rob. Lovely song. Sounds like the project was alot of fun. Well done
Posted By: animarorecords Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/11/23 02:35 AM
Hello Anne-Marie,

Great harmonies!
I like to add rhythms & Bass to classic songs and bring them back to modern pop music, and I often make such works.
You've just made it pop successfully.
Wonderful! Very relaxing.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: dcuny Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/11/23 05:03 AM
I'm not musically literate enough to disapprove of the arrangement... I enjoyed listening!

Now, if you performed it live that way... Cool! laugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/12/23 12:20 PM
Anne Marie, this is so cool!

Your voices are always beautiful no matter which part you’re singing. And the band, mix, etc. are all ace.

We think this is a fine way to introduce some of the great Masters to folks who are not familiar with those classics.

Awesome!

J&B
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/15/23 09:08 PM
I like it! I don't know the original, but if I heard it, I'm sure I would prefer yours. Your arrangement sounds clever put together. Singing is mighty good.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/15/23 09:26 PM
Anne-Marie,
Stunning vocals, and fun modern arrangement. Interesting harmonic range. Sounds great! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/15/23 09:34 PM
Anne-Marie you are quite talented.
Great harmonies, enjoyed it much.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NOT one of my songs - 02/16/23 07:50 AM
Different from what I'm used to hearing from you!

But, cool. Loved the vocals!
© PG Music Forums