PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude No Time for the Blues - 03/13/23 12:00 PM
No Time for the Blues - Audio link

No Time for the Blues - YouTube Video

The Band:

~674:Organ, B3, Background Blues Roadhouse Ev 120
4249:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesFunky Ev 120

Marty Straub from BabuMusic is playing the bass, and Chris Spruit is doing the vocal.

I used EZDrummer3 for the drum track, and I'm playing the guitar leads.

Mixed with Reaper, mastered with Ozone

No Time for the Blues (2023, Dave Bell)

Rolling down the road,
gonna have some fun
Traveling from east to west,
following the sun
I need a change of scene
we had a good run

I'm on the move,
got no time to lose
Time to chase some dreams,
I done paid my dues
I'm on the right track
I got no time for the blues

Rollin down the road, I done paid my dues
chasing my dreams, got no time for the blues

All Comments Welcome!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/13/23 06:58 PM
Hi Dave,

Good blues - I really enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the lead break in the middle.

A couple of minor suggestions:
1. I thought the guitar fills in the verses were a bit quiet and could be brought forward.
2. I would have liked the organ in the left speaker to match your Rhythm guitar in the right speaker. When the organ comes in you could move the guitar fills just to the left of centre.

Only minor mixing points - I think it's great with a slightly Santana feel (which is a very good thing indeed).

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: rayc Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/13/23 08:47 PM
Good fun blues rock.
Mix wise I'd be inclined to reduce the organ to mono so it can be more effectively used to balance the rhythm guitar in the stereo image. As it stands the right hand, more apparent organ parts are under the rhythm guitar on the right more often than not.
Good performance by you Dave, Marty & Christine.
Cool.
Posted By: PeterF Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/13/23 10:20 PM
Dave

Good driving blues song, where everyone plays their part and does so excellently.

Enjoyed the solo, nicely done, and constantly interesting.

Marty's bass was spot on and the vocals were just right.

Enjoyed it.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/14/23 05:16 PM
Dave, Marty, and Chris you did a fantastic job on this one.

Chris's vocal was perfection.
Mart's bass set the foundation.
Dave's guitar was icing on the cake.

Outstanding blues!
Posted By: dcuny Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/15/23 01:25 AM
I see others have made technical suggestions.

That's something I can't do here, because this is the sort of song where my critical listener shuts up, leans back, and enjoys the groove. I can barely muster the energy to complain about the LCR spread - how are you going to get on AM radio with a mix like that? wink

Smooth blues, all the way! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/15/23 06:10 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Dave,

Good blues - I really enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the lead break in the middle.

A couple of minor suggestions:
1. I thought the guitar fills in the verses were a bit quiet and could be brought forward.
2. I would have liked the organ in the left speaker to match your Rhythm guitar in the right speaker. When the organ comes in you could move the guitar fills just to the left of centre.

Only minor mixing points - I think it's great with a slightly Santana feel (which is a very good thing indeed).

Best Regards
Nigel

Originally Posted By: rayc
Good fun blues rock.
Mix wise I'd be inclined to reduce the organ to mono so it can be more effectively used to balance the rhythm guitar in the stereo image. As it stands the right hand, more apparent organ parts are under the rhythm guitar on the right more often than not.
Good performance by you Dave, Marty & Christine.
Cool.

Hi Nigel and Ray,

Thanks for the great feedback, very much appreciated!

For me mixing is a two stage process. After releasing the song here I always wait a week or two before listening to it again. I find when I do that and come back to the mix with fresh ears, I'll often hear things I missed the first time around. Because you both mentioned the pan on the B3, I'll certainly give that special attention when the time comes.
Posted By: tommyad Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/15/23 12:34 PM
Dave & Co. this is another fine blues tune to add to your long list of top shelf radio ready material. Well sung , two great players and an overall outstanding sound make this a very easy listen and highly enjoyable, Tom
Posted By: Derochette Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/15/23 05:51 PM
Hi Blue Attitude,

Excellent drums( ezdrummer3), nice voice. I like your guitar playing. Everything is in its place and the melody is very pleasant.

Mixing with Ozone 10 ?

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/15/23 05:55 PM
Cool uptempo blues with great work from all 3 of you.
And there are some pretty good Gary Moore guitar licks.
Me likes!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 06:52 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

Good driving blues song, where everyone plays their part and does so excellently.

Enjoyed the solo, nicely done, and constantly interesting.

Marty's bass was spot on and the vocals were just right.

Enjoyed it.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Dave, Marty, and Chris you did a fantastic job on this one.

Chris's vocal was perfection.
Mart's bass set the foundation.
Dave's guitar was icing on the cake.

Outstanding blues!

Thanks for checking out the song, Mario, appreciated!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I see others have made technical suggestions.

That's something I can't do here, because this is the sort of song where my critical listener shuts up, leans back, and enjoys the groove. I can barely muster the energy to complain about the LCR spread - how are you going to get on AM radio with a mix like that? wink

Smooth blues, all the way! smile

Well, that's pretty much all I could ask for I think, David! Thanks very much smile
Posted By: vicarn Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 10:25 AM
Very smoothly done, Dave.
Nice clean sound you have here.

Vic
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 10:33 AM
Howdy Blue....

Very cool track.
A good write with great bluesy vibe.
Good mix and great job overall by everyone.
Enjoyed the listen.

Well done!
Posted By: firesong Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 01:16 PM
Dave...I marvel how how good you guys are as a trio...this is such a clean, tight and professional sounding recording...so tastefully mixed and so well performed...Chris has such a beautiful voice....it cuts through the mix exquisitely...and of coarse your leads are always unique and perfect for your songs...Marty...well Marty is Marty (that's all good)...and the song is so well written and a great melody...you guys are top-notch writers, arrangers and performers!
Posted By: Sawmill Music Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 05:48 PM
If this came on the radio station I listen to I wouldn't be surprised or find it out of place. Great song! I love the feel. Nice video y'all put together as well!
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 08:28 PM
BA.

WOW !

loved those high gtr parts. tasty.

your a heck of a player.

fantastic vocs.

clever ending mate. nailed it !

happiness

om
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/16/23 08:38 PM
It's all been said above . . . great job to all involved.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/17/23 06:54 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave & Co. this is another fine blues tune to add to your long list of top shelf radio ready material. Well sung , two great players and an overall outstanding sound make this a very easy listen and highly enjoyable, Tom

Appreciate that, Tom!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Blue Attitude,

Excellent drums( ezdrummer3), nice voice. I like your guitar playing. Everything is in its place and the melody is very pleasant.

Mixing with Ozone 10 ?

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for the nice review!

To answer your question, I did the mix using Reaper with plugins from Waves and iZotope and a few others.

Mastering was done with Ozone, and you are right, I'm using Ozone version 10. I also make use of their Insight and Tonal Balance plugins as part of the mastering process.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/17/23 10:21 AM
Love this song! The best parts for me are listening to Chris and Dave sort out all the tiny little nuances in the arrangement and the effects of each track. AND then to come here and see more excellent suggestions to improve it even more. Dang, I love this forum and how all you folks are out to help each other get better. Sounds like a good formula for the rest of the world. Carry on.
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/17/23 01:41 PM
This was very enjoyable and a great group of talent you put together to be sure! Amazing vocals and bass - not to mention - the guitar licks.

Keep up the great work!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/17/23 07:18 PM
Dave & Team,

Thumbs up! Nice groove, flows into ears like butter. Two spins, easy listen. I've saw some tech comments, but did not read the closely. I thought mix was great. Especially I liked Chris vocals, how the sits in the mix. Even her more aggressive parts sound smooth. A+ for Guitar work! Marty is bass is perfect fit. Enjoyed this and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/18/23 07:49 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Cool uptempo blues with great work from all 3 of you.
And there are some pretty good Gary Moore guitar licks.
Me likes!

Appreciate that B.D., thanks very much!

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Very smoothly done, Dave.
Nice clean sound you have here.

Vic

I know blues is not your thing, Vic, so thanks for checking out the song.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/19/23 07:07 AM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Howdy Blue....

Very cool track.
A good write with great bluesy vibe.
Good mix and great job overall by everyone.
Enjoyed the listen.

Well done!

Thanks for checking out the song!

Originally Posted By: firesong
Dave...I marvel how how good you guys are as a trio...this is such a clean, tight and professional sounding recording...so tastefully mixed and so well performed...Chris has such a beautiful voice....it cuts through the mix exquisitely...and of coarse your leads are always unique and perfect for your songs...Marty...well Marty is Marty (that's all good)...and the song is so well written and a great melody...you guys are top-notch writers, arrangers and performers!

Really appreciate that, Dan, thanks!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/20/23 10:34 AM
Oh, yes, we do have time for these blues!
Awesome y’all!

Chris always sings with such conviction and soul. Dave’s guitar was a little reminiscent of Santana and that was nice! Marty’s bass always nails the bottom end with never too much or too little.

The cool vid is perfect for the lyric.

As always this is a HIGH bar production ... write, vocals, guitar, bass, arrangement and mix.

Love it!

J&B

PS As we say, perhaps too often, mixing is never finished - just abandoned. smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/21/23 10:29 PM
Well I can listen to the kind of blues anytime. Assume tune Dave. Chris's vocal was super. Marty's basslines gave the song such a cool groove. Drums were perfect. Loved your guitar tone and excellent phrasing. Well done
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/22/23 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Sawmill Music
If this came on the radio station I listen to I wouldn't be surprised or find it out of place. Great song! I love the feel. Nice video y'all put together as well!

First of all, welcome to the forum! Thanks for checking out the song, and looking forward to hearing one from you.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
BA.

WOW !

loved those high gtr parts. tasty.

your a heck of a player.

fantastic vocs.

clever ending mate. nailed it !

happiness

om

Appreciate that, om!

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
It's all been said above . . . great job to all involved.

Thanks, Thumper.
Posted By: jannesan Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/22/23 02:21 PM
Rolling down nicely the bluesy road. Excellent groove and the players/singer are perfect, nothing to add, nothing to remove. Even has some nice, slightly surprising chord variations (like one after the last 'dues'). And congratulation for so many YouTube listeners for the song, seems to be the most popular Blue Attitude song already, you are clearly closer to the breakthrough smile

Janne
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/22/23 03:39 PM
I very much enjoyed that. Nice groove, guitar tone & licks sound really good! I tend to agree with the organ comments.

Well done!

Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/22/23 04:41 PM
Great tune! As we are used to hear from you. Thanks

Mike B.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/23/23 06:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
This was very enjoyable and a great group of talent you put together to be sure! Amazing vocals and bass - not to mention - the guitar licks.

Keep up the great work!

Appreciate the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave & Team,

Thumbs up! Nice groove, flows into ears like butter. Two spins, easy listen. I've saw some tech comments, but did not read the closely. I thought mix was great. Especially I liked Chris vocals, how the sits in the mix. Even her more aggressive parts sound smooth. A+ for Guitar work! Marty is bass is perfect fit. Enjoyed this and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Oh, yes, we do have time for these blues!
Awesome y’all!

Chris always sings with such conviction and soul. Dave’s guitar was a little reminiscent of Santana and that was nice! Marty’s bass always nails the bottom end with never too much or too little.

The cool vid is perfect for the lyric.

As always this is a HIGH bar production ... write, vocals, guitar, bass, arrangement and mix.

Love it!

J&B

PS As we say, perhaps too often, mixing is never finished - just abandoned. smile

Hi Bud and Janice,

Yes, I hear you on the mixing thing! I'll give this one one more kick at the can before sending off to DistroKid.

Thanks for the kind words, very much appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/24/23 06:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Well I can listen to the kind of blues anytime. Assume tune Dave. Chris's vocal was super. Marty's basslines gave the song such a cool groove. Drums were perfect. Loved your guitar tone and excellent phrasing. Well done

Thanks, Scott!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Rolling down nicely the bluesy road. Excellent groove and the players/singer are perfect, nothing to add, nothing to remove. Even has some nice, slightly surprising chord variations (like one after the last 'dues'). And congratulation for so many YouTube listeners for the song, seems to be the most popular Blue Attitude song already, you are clearly closer to the breakthrough smile

Janne

That whole YouTube thing has caught us by surprise to be honest. Don't quite understand what is happening, but we'll take it wink

Thanks, Janne!

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
I very much enjoyed that. Nice groove, guitar tone & licks sound really good! I tend to agree with the organ comments.

Well done!

Greg

Thanks Greg. I haven't got back to the mix on this one yet, working on another project at the moment. But when I do I'll certainly check on the B3.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Great tune! As we are used to hear from you. Thanks

Mike B.

Cheers, Mike!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/24/23 09:52 PM
Dave and the gang,

The first thing that caught my attention was how much I liked the sound Of the Toontrack drums, Dave, you did a great job working with those and of course the great sounding guitar parts! I think this is the best sounding vocal by Chris I've heard (she's always great though), Marty's bass work is so solid here! You never go wrong having him playing on a track, it's always professionally done! That BIAB organ sounds good in the mix! TB
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/28/23 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave and the gang,

The first thing that caught my attention was how much I liked the sound Of the Toontrack drums, Dave, you did a great job working with those and of course the great sounding guitar parts! I think this is the best sounding vocal by Chris I've heard (she's always great though), Marty's bass work is so solid here! You never go wrong having him playing on a track, it's always professionally done! That BIAB organ sounds good in the mix! TB

Thanks, Torrey! I see you have a new one up, I’ll give it a spin shortly smile
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: No Time for the Blues - 03/29/23 03:16 PM
Great work by all of you. I agree with Torrey about those vocals, man she really did well with this one. I always like hearing the way you pick Dave, and Marty, well I've always been a fan. I really loved the simple writing and the groove through the whole song. You all gelled just perfectly on this one. Thanks for giving me a listen,

Brad
Posted By: Deej56 Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/03/23 01:14 PM
BlueAttitude:

Very cool, very slick blues number. Love Chris’s vocal on this one and Dave’s guitar playing is killer as usual. Great bass line, Marty. Crisp, resonating production as always. Killer!

My best to you all,

Deej
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/03/23 08:43 PM
Great track Dave!!!! Love the guitar work, the vocals, and the wonderful sense of space in the track!!! GREAT!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/04/23 07:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Great work by all of you. I agree with Torrey about those vocals, man she really did well with this one. I always like hearing the way you pick Dave, and Marty, well I've always been a fan. I really loved the simple writing and the groove through the whole song. You all gelled just perfectly on this one. Thanks for giving me a listen,

Brad

Simple writing is what I do best, Brad wink Thanks for stopping by!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
BlueAttitude:

Very cool, very slick blues number. Love Chris’s vocal on this one and Dave’s guitar playing is killer as usual. Great bass line, Marty. Crisp, resonating production as always. Killer!

My best to you all,

Deej

Thanks, Deej!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great track Dave!!!! Love the guitar work, the vocals, and the wonderful sense of space in the track!!! GREAT!!!! Take care. Greg

Good to see you, Greg, and thanks for the listen!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/04/23 01:51 PM
Hello together
WOW !!!
"Blue Attitude" in absolute top form
That sounds really great
You all are doing a super job
It is a lot of fun to listen
Really great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/04/23 03:29 PM
Wow!!

This is awesome.

I often don't have time for the blues as well but I had time for this.

smile

Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/05/23 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello together
WOW !!!
"Blue Attitude" in absolute top form
That sounds really great
You all are doing a super job
It is a lot of fun to listen
Really great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No Time for the Blues - 04/05/23 08:32 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Wow!!

This is awesome.

I often don't have time for the blues as well but I had time for this.

smile

Hi David,
I know you are not a blues fan, so I appreciate you taking the time to check this one out. Thanks!
© PG Music Forums