PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD 3-19 Song - 03/26/23 09:36 PM
3-19 Song

BobH came over on 3/19 (hence the title) with an original chord progression.

I completely changed my recording methods for this one. I recorded his guitar in Studio One Pro 6 then had the DAW determine the chords. In BiaB I did not input any chords as I just picked a style. I was going to add drum fills but I liked what BiaB yielded so I kept the non-fills drum part. I brought the BiaB tracks into my DAW and had them follow the chord progression. I did have to make a few modifications but the process went very quickly, actually I was finished the next day but I wouldn't upload it until I had Bob's approval, which was today.

BiaB style = Nashville Pop 16
Tempo = 95 BPM

Bass - Ample P-Bass
Piano & Guitar - EZ Keys Dream Machine - preset - Mellow MK VII
Drums - Steven Slate's SSD-5 - preset - Deluxe Vintage Funk 02
Shakers - Kontakt - Brio - Shakers - Note I only kept the toms and shakers from the drum kit and deleted all of the other drums and cymbals.
BobH - Dean acoustic guitar
Me - Via my wind controller Kontakt - Crystal Flute

As always all comments are welcomed.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: 3-19 Song - 03/28/23 04:29 PM
Incredible Mario. I haven't figured out how to do one method just right, and here you are coming up with a completely new one! You always create such great soundscapes, and I love the title!

Brad
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/28/23 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Incredible Mario. I haven't figured out how to do one method just right, and here you are coming up with a completely new one! You always create such great soundscapes, and I love the title!

Brad

Thanx so much Brad for listening and commenting. I greatly appreciate it.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: 3-19 Song - 03/28/23 08:07 PM
Nicely done guys. I enjoyed this and could see the Celtic Woman ladies doing a version of this.
I especially liked the intro percussion and the flute.
Posted By: jannesan Re: 3-19 Song - 03/29/23 03:13 PM
Very original sounding piece, cool chord progression and very interesting soundscape, that crystal flute melody really gives an exotic vibe and works surprisingly well with the guitars. I feel I'm on a flight to a new country somewhere in Asia, excited yet nervous what might show up.

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/29/23 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Nicely done guys. I enjoyed this and could see the Celtic Woman ladies doing a version of this.
I especially liked the intro percussion and the flute.

Thanx for listening and commenting on little jam Steve. I appreciate it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/29/23 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very original sounding piece, cool chord progression and very interesting soundscape, that crystal flute melody really gives an exotic vibe and works surprisingly well with the guitars. I feel I'm on a flight to a new country somewhere in Asia, excited yet nervous what might show up.

Janne

Thanx Janne. Yes Bob came up with a very unusual chord progression. I'm glad that you liked the flute.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: 3-19 Song - 03/30/23 08:15 PM
Mario and Bob,

well, your process certainly worked very well! I also have that EZ KEYS dream machine and you inspired me to explore it a little more now! This whole track has a beautiful sound! Guitar part really is a big plus on this and the controller work was lovely!

Thanks, TB
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/30/23 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario and Bob,

well, your process certainly worked very well! I also have that EZ KEYS dream machine and you inspired me to explore it a little more now! This whole track has a beautiful sound! Guitar part really is a big plus on this and the controller work was lovely!

Thanks, TB

Thanx so much Torrey. BobH is a great guitarist and when he said he came up with a chord progression I had to listen and record it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 09:12 AM
Hello Mario,

You keep on experimenting a lot in the way you make your songs!
This is a nice song, it has the vibe of an Irish song (in the beginning), very good accompanied by the drums!
Then the Irish vibe disappears, while the flute keeps meandering through your beatiful musical fields. Very nicely done!
So this song pleased me a lot as you can read in my previous sentence.

A little drawback was the end of the song. Too abrupt.
But another good one from your hand, Mario!

Hans
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Mario,

You keep on experimenting a lot in the way you make your songs!
This is a nice song, it has the vibe of an Irish song (in the beginning), very good accompanied by the drums!
Then the Irish vibe disappears, while the flute keeps meandering through your beatiful musical fields. Very nicely done!
So this song pleased me a lot as you can read in my previous sentence.

A little drawback was the end of the song. Too abrupt.
But another good one from your hand, Mario!

Hans

Thanx so much Hans for this wonderful review.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 11:49 AM
Beautiful song with a great relaxing mood.
I'm always amazed at what you do with the wind controller.
Good stuff!
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 06:25 PM
I like the Indian flavor of that flute sound
Very interesting arrangement and chord progressions
Great production on it too
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Beautiful song with a great relaxing mood.
I'm always amazed at what you do with the wind controller.
Good stuff!

Thanx so much Brain. Using a wind controller and using MIDI editing can add a lot to a song, especially on wind instruments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 03/31/23 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
I like the Indian flavor of that flute sound
Very interesting arrangement and chord progressions
Great production on it too

Thanx Elliot. I like the tone of that flute also. Thanx for noticing the chord progression, BobH will love that!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: 3-19 Song - 04/01/23 10:58 AM
Mario & Bob

Fun soundscape. Interesting chord progression and cool flute work. Mix is very clear. The only critical point is I believe too much of shaker. I would either put it on some parts or add a variation. In any case, great for such short production time. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: 3-19 Song - 04/02/23 10:50 PM
This is a really nice piece Mario. Love how the drums lock the groove of the song in. Excellent instrumentation on this. The wind controller flute was a really cool melody. Well done..
Posted By: firesong Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 12:10 AM
Mario...love this...kind of an ethereal Celtic flavor to my ears...great flute and a real nice chord progression for sure...everything works (with maybe the exception of the abrupt ending)...bravo!
Posted By: rayc Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 04:18 AM
Well done Mario - always learning and always creating interesting ear focussing stuff.
Nice mix on this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario & Bob

Fun soundscape. Interesting chord progression and cool flute work. Mix is very clear. The only critical point is I believe too much of shaker. I would either put it on some parts or add a variation. In any case, great for such short production time. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanx so for listening and commenting Misha. That is a good idea about those shakers.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a really nice piece Mario. Love how the drums lock the groove of the song in. Excellent instrumentation on this. The wind controller flute was a really cool melody. Well done..

Thanx Scott. I really like using the wind controller on horn and woodwind parts. It does add realism to those tracks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Mario...love this...kind of an ethereal Celtic flavor to my ears...great flute and a real nice chord progression for sure...everything works (with maybe the exception of the abrupt ending)...bravo!

Thanx so much Dan. I'll have to work on my endings.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Well done Mario - always learning and always creating interesting ear focussing stuff.
Nice mix on this.

Thanx Ray. I appreciate your very kind comments.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 04:50 PM
Love what Janne said, " ...that crystal flute melody really gives an exotic vibe and works surprisingly well with the guitars."

Yes it does and it ALL works surprisingly well.

The workflow is above our pay grades but we enjoyed reading about it!

Nice mix that sounds wonderful on our monitors.

Kudos to y'all!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 05:32 PM
Mario,

The flute sounds great! Love the chord progression. Production is top notch as well.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: 3-19 Song - 04/03/23 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Love what Janne said, " ...that crystal flute melody really gives an exotic vibe and works surprisingly well with the guitars."

Yes it does and it ALL works surprisingly well.

The workflow is above our pay grades but we enjoyed reading about it!

Nice mix that sounds wonderful on our monitors.

Kudos to y'all!

J&B

Thanx so much J&B.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mario,

The flute sounds great! Love the chord progression. Production is top notch as well.

Loved it!

Bob

Thanx Bob. BobH will love that chord progression remark.
© PG Music Forums