PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/02/23 01:20 AM
Hello Folks,
this one has been hanging around since Nov. I managed to sort out lyrics and a "melody" in February but wasn't able to give the vocals a loud shake until yesterday when I was "home alone".
BIAB provides, as usual, RealDrums and an RT organ track.
I threw in the rest.
I used Reaper native VSTs, (ReaEQ, ReaFir, ReaComp & ReaTune), as well compressors Density MkII on bass & drums, Modern DeathCore on vocals plus a levelling one, Vola2, on vocals. All were/are free. The reverb bus had Ambience, (again a freebie), on it and I sent bits of things to it.

I tried really hard to get an angry, aggressive vocal but ended up with lots of coughing, spluttering and reflux.
I did manage to do a close double track on the verse so blended that in.
I used the JS Spectrum Matcher VST, (again free), on vocals and found three different famous vocalists whose EQ & level attributes I borrowed to fill the gaps in my voice's frequencies after tracking.

A Focusrite condensor mic into an SSL2 interface then into Reaper.
Vantage bass into a Behringer BDI21, Squire Bullet Mustang into a Marshall Superbass and I used an E kit with BIAB samples to add some missing cymbal hits.

This hasn't been mastered so there's plenty of scope to amend the mix based on your ideas.
Sugar Du
Lyrically it's about the rub between wanting to be left alone & wanting human company.
Being a hermit of sorts it's probably about me.

Thoughts, (but no prayers), appreciated.
Posted By: musiclover Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/02/23 07:40 AM
Love this one Ray, great lively vibe to it, I would take the vocals up a bit though.

Great song.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/02/23 09:43 AM
Love your humor, Ray. Yes, I agree with musiclover about vocals up a but, but then i always say that when you are singing. I can't even hear any of the coughing and spluttering you advertise. It's ironic how a song that keeps telling me to go away that I seem compelled to continue to listen. What a rebel, huh?
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/02/23 12:19 PM
Wow, that guitar solo in the middle works really well. Highlight of the piece for me.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/02/23 06:25 PM
Nice punk-ish vibe, I like that.
Nothing wrong with your vocals, except that (as usual smile ) they're not loud enough.
My new favorite from you!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/03/23 12:23 PM
Hi Ray,

I couldn't understand all of the lyrics. Pitty you don't had them in your post.
Beside that, it's a very nice punk song and like others say, you start with too soft vocals. Adjust them and the song gains importance / interest/joy.
At least it helps me understand Marty's sense of humor...
But I think you have a good song here, so turn up the volume of the vocals!

Hans
Posted By: Deej56 Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/03/23 04:40 PM
Ray,

A lot to like here . . . agree the vocals can come up a bit . . . but I think you've done well by conveying a sense of anger in the delivery. 80's punk feel to it definitely . . . one of my favorites from you for sure. No additional suggestions beyond the vocals for me.

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: David Snyder Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/03/23 05:32 PM
Ray, I really like this a lot. It has that 1980s CBGB feel to it which is one of my favorite sounds.

You capture the style of the music and the playing in the instrumentation of that era perfectly.

I really love listening to stuff like this.
Posted By: rsdean Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/03/23 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Ray, I really like this a lot. It has that 1980s CBGB feel to it which is one of my favorite sounds.

You capture the style of the music and the playing in the instrumentation of that era perfectly.

I really love listening to stuff like this.

Ray,

Agree completely with David. Some great stuff going on here!

Bob
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/04/23 11:40 AM
Ray,
classic punky headbanger! Excellent groove and fun lyrics. Perfect bass! Vocals just a bit higher, otherwise sound great. Hats off and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/04/23 01:36 PM
Hi Ray
Cool song
Starts immediately really hot
I really like the tempo
Also the sound and vocals - that fits
Great job Ray
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/05/23 08:47 AM
Hi Ray,

Good track, I like the energy. Guitars sound good, both the rhythm and the solo, and the bass sounds great!

Yeah, I agree with the others somewhat about bringing the vocal up a bit, I think you are a better singer than you give yourself credit for.

Good stuff, looking forward to hearing the final product.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/06/23 05:45 PM
Howdy Ray. Very energetic, driving song. I don't know much about the genre, but it does sound punk. You've got some good vocals, they just need to come up to be heard better.

Brad
Posted By: MarioD Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/07/23 02:51 PM
Great groove here Ray.
I liked your instrumentation.
I thing the vocals could come up as your lyrics are very hard to understand.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SUGAR DU by Pygmy Beat Ext - 04/08/23 11:06 AM
FUN!

We love the energy and the lyric and, homebodies that we are, could relate. smile

Your vocals sound great and full of emotion.

The effects you used were very good and for this genre we feel that you gain on your vocals is fine.

All of your excellent instrumental performances absolutely nail the vibe and, man, those RD drums pop.

The mix sounds finished ... mastering or not ... it is dynamic and sets up a great soundstage on our monitors.

Cool to the max,

J&B
© PG Music Forums