PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 Emily - 04/03/23 05:52 PM
Hi, all:

Here’s something new and a little bit different from me. John Vaughan penned the lyrics, noting that he had a 60-70s singer-songwriter folk style in mind. And so I came up with this. I’m using the Lone Son Acoustic Guitar Ballad style . . . and I think it’s the first time I’ve used a BIAB style without adding or changing out with alternative RealTracks. I liked the stripped, coffeehouse type vibe, and so added only the tambourine using Logic Pro.

Thanks in advance for the listens and appreciate any feedback!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Deej

Here’s the song:

EMILY

Here are the lyrics:

Choosing flowers from the garden carefully
She’ll arrange them in the lounge, my Emily
Subtle fragrances softly rushing in
Fill my senses hypnotic, calming 
Then she sits down and drifts away with me

Oh, Emily

We catch a cloud and sail on the summer breeze
Above the trees and the mountains floating gently
We spend all of the day on our flight 
Return as stars are welcomed by the night
Head on my shoulder, she sleeps peacefully

In each others arms until the new day dawns
We walk along the shore and watch the young sun rise
The surf as gentle as an angel’s heartbeat
Love as certain as the ebb and flow of the tide

The garden gate sounds farewell in the wind
The last of summer slips away, autumn moves in
She sits with me beside the open fire
And sings in starlight, a voice from heaven’s choir
She wears a dress she's made
And a smile that she’s saved just for me

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2474: Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks 2505: Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
RealTracks i2914: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent
Logic Pro X: Tambourine
Posted By: musician17 Re: Emily - 04/04/23 05:07 AM
This is SO delicate and beautiful! It flows so well, too. Congratulations to the both of you, a gem of a song. Love it.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Emily - 04/04/23 07:50 AM
Hi Deej,

Really like the one. Lovely lyric from John, and I like the music bed you produced.

And of course your vocal is always top notch!

Nicely done.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Emily - 04/04/23 08:51 AM
Hi Deej,

Good song and well mixed - excellent.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: vicarn Re: Emily - 04/04/23 08:53 AM
Hi Deej.
Good soft vocal and instrument job on this. A song of fantasy and dreams.
My only sugg would be for more of a melody coming in on line 4 of the verse (go into something like G, Em, F, Am sequence there for the next 3 lines so you're riding on the air.
I can't help it if I'm addicted to suggs smile .
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Emily - 04/04/23 10:48 AM
Seriously, Deej, you are one of my favorite all-time singers, and this is another perfect song for you. John penned some wonderful lyrics and you turned it into a fun song. You're right that this song is perfect for an uncluttered background. well done!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Emily - 04/04/23 11:15 AM
Deej56,
Very poetic tune. If there such thing as indie pop rock, this makes a very good example of it. Fantastic vocals, very laid back arrangement. Sounds great in my headphones. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Emily - 04/04/23 12:05 PM
Great lyrics and your singing gets it across perfectly.
Also love your calm and sparse arrangement, it's perfect for the song.
Absolutely nothing to complain about smile
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Emily - 04/04/23 01:32 PM
Hello DJ
very nice and calm song
The vocals are really on the highest level and transport
the wonderful lyrics very impressively to the listener
A very great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: firesong Re: Emily - 04/05/23 12:15 AM
Deej...what a beautiful song...it has the gentle feel of a John Denver ballad to me...I love the narrative poetic feel...so perfectly sung...gorgeous melody...I agree with Marty wholeheartedly, you are one of if not my favorite vocalist on the forum...Greg Johnson and Torrey Bliss are others so now you know the stratosphere you live in in my mind...man I love the songs you produce!
Posted By: rayc Re: Emily - 04/05/23 05:21 AM
Really sweet Deej & John.
You seem to have swallowed the j/g from lounge - no biggie but it could probably be resurrected if it's still around.
Really cool result gents.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Emily - 04/05/23 06:49 AM
Deej,

This is absolutely beautiful... Stunning vocal and outstanding production.

You have a real gift.

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Emily - 04/05/23 11:37 AM

Wait a minute! Right after I come out with Penelope you come out with Emily!!

Just kidding! smile

But I actually got some feedback (in another place) that said we weren't allowed to use a woman or girl's name in a song, it was too "restrictive." I said what about Michelle? The answer? You're not Paul McCartney!!

Kathy's Song??

You're not Paul Simon!!

Ok, that makes total sense.

ANYWAY, this is gorgeous and it does remind me of John Denver. Nice.

Let's start a song with a woman's name in it contest, shall we??

smile
Posted By: Killer Re: Emily - 04/05/23 01:27 PM
This is beautiful. It puts me in mind of a hybrid of Jimmy Webb, Harry Chapin and . . . not sure who else, but someone good! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Emily - 04/05/23 01:50 PM
Deej,
Dreamlike,beautifully uncluttered with lyrics that stay true to the romantic feel..
Nice to hear your vocal quality shine in a relaxed,folky setting!

Robert
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Emily - 04/05/23 02:12 PM
James, Dave, Nigel, Vic, Marty, Misha, B.D., Andi, Dan, Ray, Bob, David S., Killer, and Robert:

Thanks all for the listens. John wrote a really nice lyric and I'm glad that I have seemed to have done right by it. A few specific responses to the comments:

Ray: Yeah, I hear that drop . . . probably when I edited out the silences from the vocal . . . I went back in, fixed it and reposted. Thanks.

Vic: I'll confess I was a little leery that the melody might be a bit one note, and in particular that the bridge itself wasn't "different" enough from the rest of the song. But I got comfortable with it the more I played with and listened to it. That said, always worth revisiting as an alternative version and I'll definitely mess around with some of your chord suggestions.

David S: I'll also confess I was unaware of that name rule . . . but we all know that we as songwriters must follow strict songwriting protocol and that ignorance is no excuse. I am therefore actively engaging in a re-write to erase "Emily" from the lyric in her entirety. I simply need to find a three-syllable alternative that rhymes with "Emily". I have come up with the following two:

(1) "Oohhhhh . . . nameless she"; and
(2) "Oohhhhh . . . Yay for me"

Happy to entertain any addition suggestions folks may have. smile

Deej
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Emily - 04/05/23 03:01 PM

"Nameless she."

That won't offend anyone.

Wait...

There is one group in Portland that might....

Hold that thought...I'll be back.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Emily - 04/06/23 06:18 PM
Fabulous track Deej! This is a great poem set to great music - and your vocal is perfect! Yes, this is a little different than many of your others, but gosh this is soooooooo good. I'm sure glad you gave it a try. I love the style you chose, it really lets the words and your vocal shine. Great job by both of you!

Brad
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Emily - 04/07/23 09:27 AM
Hi Deej,

Well, this is really a nice, sweet ballad about Emily.
Love the guitar in it and of course your vocals!

When I saw the title I had to think of my song about Emily. Maybe it's the same person we sang about?
Or do I have to ask John about it?

Very well done,
Hans
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Emily - 04/07/23 09:37 AM
Lovely.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Emily - 04/07/23 10:24 AM
This Showcase is a great place to hang out and hear good music, and actually a lot of fun to just read too.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Wait a minute! Right after I come out with Penelope you come out with Emily!!

Just kidding! smile

But I actually got some feedback (in another place) that said we weren't allowed to use a woman or girl's name in a song, it was too "restrictive." I said what about Michelle? The answer? You're not Paul McCartney!!

Kathy's Song??

You're not Paul Simon!!

Ok, that makes total sense.

ANYWAY, this is gorgeous and it does remind me of John Denver. Nice.

Let's start a song with a woman's name in it contest, shall we??

smile

Originally Posted By: Deej56

David S: I'll also confess I was unaware of that name rule . . . but we all know that we as songwriters must follow strict songwriting protocol and that ignorance is no excuse. I am therefore actively engaging in a re-write to erase "Emily" from the lyric in her entirety. I simply need to find a three-syllable alternative that rhymes with "Emily". I have come up with the following two:

(1) "Oohhhhh . . . nameless she"; and
(2) "Oohhhhh . . . Yay for me"

Happy to entertain any addition suggestions folks may have. smile

Deej

"Oh, Nameless Me" is a great title.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Emily - 04/07/23 02:46 PM
Deej and John, this is absolutely a beautifully melodic love song.

Everything is absolutely perfect.

You best to date IMHO.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Emily - 04/08/23 03:14 PM
Very touching song. Lovely lyrics, so full of beautiful emotional pictures, delicate and charming. The arrangement, the melody and the vocals do perfect justice for the story. I can nothing but admire your scale of talent from gentle ballads to strong rock songs.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emily - 04/08/23 06:12 PM
What a lovely song, Deej. We also get a tender John Denver feel to this in the lyric and the melody.

Your vocal is excellent and that style works perfectly. We can see why you made no changes to the RT’s in it. The fingerpicked guitar was so good.

Janice listened first and followed me into another room to quote some of the lyric!

Great collab!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Emily - 04/10/23 03:53 AM
As Robert already said, a dreamy arrangement that fits the lyric.

It's fine as it is, but I would have loved to hear some piano playing on this.

Lovely.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Emily - 04/10/23 05:49 AM
Hi, DJ and John !

What a wonderful tune
so delicately performed !
Nothing less than a masterpiece !

What a superb co-op !

Congrats !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: dani48 Re: Emily - 04/10/23 05:53 AM
Hi, DJ and John !
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Emily - 04/12/23 07:27 PM
Brad, Hans, Mark, Mario, Janne, J&B, David and Dani:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the listens and input very, very much.

Some reaction to some of the specific comments:

Hans: It may very well be the same Emily, but we’ll have to check with John to be sure. But if it is the same Emily . . . well, she gets around, is all I’m saying. smile

David C: Hmm, didn’t think about adding a piano . . . you may be right about that.

David S and Marty: smile

NOTE: As it so happens, the song received a radio play on BBC Cumbria on its “Introducing” segment, which features local artists—never seems to lead to much, but still nice to get a play.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emily - 04/17/23 11:05 PM
What a lovely song. Very pretty lyric. Excellent backtrack perfect for the song. Really really nice vocal. Well done Deej
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Emily - 04/18/23 12:47 PM
Deej,

That folk rock sound is a great choice and right down your alley vocally! The acoustic guitar that you used really puts the beauty in this one! IT's a lovely tune! Thanks, TB
Posted By: Derochette Re: Emily - 04/22/23 04:44 PM
Hi Deej56,

Composition as I like them gently. The guitar whose rhythm is catchy with your lyrics. It's well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Emily - 04/22/23 08:01 PM
Beautiful melody and lyrics. The bare accompaniment works well, and I wouldn't change a thing. This is a great song! You have topped yourself again. Did I say I like the song? smile
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Emily - 05/01/23 08:42 PM
Scott, Torrey, Derochette and Ezekiel:

Thanks for stopping in and giving this one a listen. Glad you liked it, and the feedback is much appreciated.

FYI: In addition to the radio play on BBC Cumbria noted above, today it received a play on the “Strummers & Dreamers” program on Cambridge 105 Radio. The show will be repeated on Blues and Roots Radio on Monday May 8th 7-9pm and Wednesday 10th 9-11am UK time, and the podcast will go up on Mixcloud (Strummers and Dreamers) on or around Thursday, May 11th.

My best to you all,

Deej
© PG Music Forums