PG Music Home
Posted By: WaoBand Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/04/23 10:28 PM
I've done more variations of the "Deya Flows" chord structure than any of my other instrumentals and there's a yet to be completed shorter song featuring a string quartet. The 1st version was the non-intrusive soundtrack for my "Deya Flows" video in which the images were more important than the music, then later discovering that track was improved by adding a piano I used the "with Piano" version for the soundtrack of the redone "Waoist Adages #34 to #77" video, which previously had a Creative Commons soundtrack. The "V2" proper, which I've yet to do a video for, then used the latter rhythm track and had strings and electric guitar added; then this "V3: Transformations" opens with a solo sitar and in the 1st cycle of chords other instruments enter. In the 2nd cycle there's a piano solo, in the 3rd an epic electric guitar solo, and in the 4th it cools down with a tenor sax solo, thus the "Transformations".

"Deya Flows V3 Transformations" instrumental © 2023 Chay Tana

Sitar: Rest Sitar Jam ~ Anwar Kurshid
Tabla: Tab Tabla Pop ~ Shobhit Banwait
Bass guitar: 3 Guitar Country Rock ~ Tobin Frank
Organ: Dreamy Pop Quintet ~ Gene Rabbai
Acoustic rhythm guitar: 3 Guitar Country Rock ~ Tony King
Electric rhythm guitar: 3 Guitar Country Rock ~ Mike Durham
Drums: 3 Guitar Country Rock ~ Brian Fullen
Piano: Country Pop Ballad SA ~ John Jarvis
Piano Solo: Giggle Rumba Pop Ac PS ~ Ditto
Guitar 1 Solo: Modern Groove Soloist, BR ~ Dave Cleveland
Tenor Sax: Pop Ballad w/ Tenor Solo ~ Mark Douthit

144 bars; 4/4 C; tempo 95; Time 8:16

YouTube Link:

SoundCloud Link:
https://soundcloud.com/chay-tana/deya-flows-v3-transformations-chay-tana-aka-wao-band?si=16efb8f0ad9348a889408a720a508ee8&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/06/23 02:38 AM
Wonderful. You have incredible production skills and it shows. A bit long for my taste but I listened to all of it and I'm glad I did. Started off nice and calm and finished with what seemed like every instrument in BIB rocking out lol. Great vision and production, I'm sure it took quite a lot of time to finish. Great job man!
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/07/23 03:36 PM
Thanks for that positive response, Rick. I'm an audiophile and one of my great joys is listening to long compilations of my favourite music either with headphones on, or when I can't disturb others, over hi-fi speakers, so although this instrumental is a bit long for most persons it's a track I enjoy listening to inside a compilation. I enjoy all lengths, from under a minute to 20+ minutes. Some of my favourite artists whose arrangements I particularly like I even wish would have recorded a 20+ minutes single track, sort of like a rock symphony. I like BS&T's "Blues Part 2" which is close to 12 minutes long and I'd have been happy for it to have been longer! Love's 1967 or 68 track "Revelation" is over 19 minutes long and took up the whole of Side2 of their "Da Capo" album. I recall back in the day dancing along to that with friends!

"Deya Flows V3: Transformations" went through quite a lot of changes over a period of a couple of months before I was happy with it. Some compositions I'll finish in a few days, others take a week or two, and some, like one I'm currently working on, has taken me so long to arrange I might eventually scrap it! But great thanks for your feedback, Rick, it's very much appreciated.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/07/23 07:12 PM
I listened with pleasure to your 'transformations' where the realy nice melody went from a sitar and tabla to a piano, guitar and finaly the sax.
That was a very beautiful creation or elaboration of a song.
From my point of view (that is a matter of taste) I would have swapped the sax and guitar myself. but that is because of the sound of both instruments.

I used the sitar myself in a rocksong. I was working with some people on the song and they were shocked I wanted a sitar in it. But afterwards they liked it a lot.
The way you started with it and that tabla worked out very good and smootless they were taken over by the piano and the drums. Nice work!
The pictures were not my taste, but who cares...

Well done,
Hans
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/08/23 06:56 PM
Thanks for the great responses, Hans. There are 2 reasons why the Dave Cleveland guitar solo appears in the 3rd of the 4 choruses/cycles. The 1st reason being that the rhythm section powers up in the 2nd & 3rd cycles and gets milder in the 4th, so the 3rd cycle is the best place dynamically for a powerful guitar solo. The 2nd reason is that as the guitar solo is a sample I'd have had to 'cut and paste' a different sample's ending to it to conclude the piece. But dynamically the 3rd cycle is the logical place for it as the 4th cycle is milder, as is the tenor sax solo.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/08/23 09:13 PM
That's an excellent piece of music. Love the mix and video.

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/08/23 10:14 PM
Very pretty!!! Never heard anything quite like this on the forum....wonderful!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/08/23 11:15 PM
Although the song was 8:16 I enjoyed every second of it.
Super mix. That must have been a bear to mix.
Put this one in the can as I think it is finished.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/09/23 02:28 PM
Thanks Bob! Appreciated.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/09/23 02:31 PM
Thanks Mario. As I replied to Rick: "Deya Flows V3: Transformations" went through quite a lot of changes over a period of a couple of months before I was happy with it. Some compositions I'll finish in a few days, others take a week or two, and some [months].
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/09/23 02:34 PM
Thanks for the postive response, Greg. I'll keep on trying to produce original arrangements! laugh
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/09/23 04:45 PM
Very nice work. Interesting use of India and Rock instruments mix.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/09/23 06:21 PM
Thanks Elliott.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/11/23 05:28 PM
We enjoyed the genre mashup with the varied tracks.
That is always fun to do with BiaB and you chose and mixed them well.

A lot of tracks for sure but the mix has open/airy feel that we always love.
That is not easy to accomplish.

And the video well augmented the feel of the audio track.

Well done!
J&B
PS After reading your adages and noting the butterfly wings in the video we thought you might like our current tune/videp Good Karma smile
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/11/23 08:25 PM
Thanks again for your positive feedback J&B. I'll check out your song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/12/23 05:03 AM
Hi, Chay.

Nicely done. The sections built and flowed well, and the use of Indian instrumentation is a welcome change.

But... a bit long for my goldfish-size attention span*.

*: Yes, I know - that thing about goldfish not having any memory is long debunked.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Deya Flows V3: Transformations - 10/14/23 10:38 PM
Thanks David. smile
© PG Music Forums