PG Music Home
Posted By: ChadHC House of Mirrors - 11/17/23 03:00 AM
youtube link: House of Mirrors

Been away for a while. Finally got a song together. Any comments are welcome.
Best,
Chad

-Mixed in GarageBand
-I played all the 6 string parts, harp & vocals

BIAB / song memo:
****** Song Summary *************
Title: House of Mirrors
File:House of Mirrors.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 125, Length (m:s)=3:25
No intro. 104 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 104. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BUTANE.STY
RealTracks in style: 1522:Bass, Electric, PopPower8s Ev 120
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit/Rock - gl_rock120y ev16.wav
Loop in Song: House-Techno-Trance/House - crunchy_120_b drums ev16.wav
RealDrums in Style: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Posted By: rsdean Re: House of Mirrors - 11/18/23 09:01 PM
Chad,

That's a good song. Well sung and well mixed. Love the groove.

Bob
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/19/23 05:57 PM
Thanks kindly Bob,
Posted By: MarioD Re: House of Mirrors - 11/19/23 08:16 PM
Chad, this is excellent!
It brought me back to the late 60's - 70's and that was a good thing.
Super chops on both the axe and harp.
Good vocal and mix.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/20/23 02:20 PM
Hi Mario,
Thanks for the feedback. Used a Strat, Yamaha acoustic, and a high-G Lee Oscar harp (which added some intensity).
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: House of Mirrors - 11/20/23 05:54 PM
A fun song, Chad. Love the way it builds. Cool harp, too. Perfectly placed in the mix. The guitars are perfect, man.
Posted By: rayc Re: House of Mirrors - 11/21/23 09:17 AM
Interestingly this reminds me of Quark Strangeness & Charm by Hawkwind.
The treated vocals is ace as are your parts.
You know how to use reverb - a deft skill.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/21/23 03:42 PM
hey thanks Marty, appreciate the feedback. The guitar bits were fun to do... especially the hard driving parts
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/21/23 04:09 PM
hey thanks....I had not heard of Hawkwind....I liked the song you referenced....and see how it is similar with those chord changes. At one point I thought it sounded a bit like 'downtown' by Niel Young too. The vocal effects were a little hard to grab...a little bit of mid-boost or tube sound to give it more energy/edge. It was also a little hard to sing.....I was not able to improve the track afterward...so went with the first session on the recording. Maybe more to do with getn the feel right.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: House of Mirrors - 11/21/23 06:11 PM
Groovin' tune! This track is like a Master Class in how to ride a groove while building the energy and not losing the listener's interest. Love all the guitar and harp parts, and as others have said, your vocals are killer.
Posted By: Al-David Re: House of Mirrors - 11/22/23 01:06 AM
Chad ...

Yep, early 70s sounds in my ears.. Nice band and the vocal treatment works perfectly. Very nice written and delivered.

Take care,

Alan
Posted By: Deej56 Re: House of Mirrors - 11/22/23 01:10 AM
Chad,

Yeah, this is a cool listen. Really like the way you build the mix. The vocal is excellent . . . love the treatment (though I’m guessing I’m alone in suggesting that it come forward just a bit more in the mix—a subjective thing for sure). Great groove . . . killer harmonica . . . just a lot of good sounds throughout—excellent work!!

All my best to you ,

Deej
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/22/23 02:56 PM
thanks much Ron,
Really appreciate all the feedback. It is certainly my best effort. The vocals are the part that I put most of my attention on...it is a duplicate track, off-set by some small amount (just noticeable) to add edge and slightly distorted. And lots of distortion on harp and guitars (except acoustic).
Best
Chad
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/22/23 03:00 PM
thanks Alan,
I am interested in that a few now have mentioned the early 70s (or 60s) vibe. I had not even thought of an 'era' until now. I do love a lot of the music from then for certain. Really appreciate your time to comment...it is motivating for songwriting for me...this was the first song in over a year.
Best,
Chad
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/22/23 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Deej56
Chad,

Yeah, this is a cool listen. Really like the way you build the mix. The vocal is excellent . . . love the treatment (though I’m guessing I’m alone in suggesting that it come forward just a bit more in the mix—a subjective thing for sure). Great groove . . . killer harmonica . . . just a lot of good sounds throughout—excellent work!!

All my best to you ,

Deej

Thanks much Deej,
I had a listen-to the volume of the vocal. I like the volume level during the verse or lower energy parts, but when the energy builds in the chorus and ending, I agree, it should pop more and not get burried in the heavy heavy guitars and percussion. Good ear. And thanks for your time on suggestions here. Much appreciated.
Best,
Chad
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/23/23 02:48 PM
[quote=DC Ron]Groovin' tune! This track is like a Master Class in how to ride a groove while building the energy and not losing the listener's interest. Love all the guitar and harp parts, and as others have said, your vocals are killer. [/quote

DC Ron: I forgot to ask, I am curious about your strat avatar ----is that your guitar, and the type of pickups on it (sensor lace?) and having two on the bridge. Must sound pretty good.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: House of Mirrors - 11/23/23 02:54 PM
This is reminiscent of both Jeff Lynne and of Tom Petty’s Mudcrutch and that is good!

Mighty fine vocals (cool processing), guitar and harmonica and an excellent choice of session players.

Great write, mix and an engaging arrangement from the get go to the final note.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: ChadHC Re: House of Mirrors - 11/24/23 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
This is reminiscent of both Jeff Lynne and of Tom Petty’s Mudcrutch and that is good!
J&B

Thanks much J & B, I certainly like those musicians/bands! I never would have thought of that connection with this song, but it makes sense as I like to play a bunch of their songs so is bound to rub off into my music. Really appreciate your time to consider the tune.
Best
Chad
© PG Music Forums