PG Music Home
Posted By: ChadHC Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/25/23 03:18 AM
I wrote this a couple of years back. A few months after it was recorded, there was a call by a local station CKCU for people to submit "Tree Songs" as part of a 'save the protected forest from development' in Ottawa. So it got some play. I also tend to support local 'landtrust' efforts which is where the video was taken. The original message of the song was not about environmental action.

Trembling Aspen Leaves--youtube

feedback appreciated
Guitars, vocal, & Harp by myself (& 5 yr old daughter on 2nd harp)
BIAB: all other tracks
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/25/23 11:42 AM
Chad, this is really enjoyable! Nice song, cool performance and beautiful video. Especially enjoyed hearing/seeing your daughter. She looks like a future star! Hope we can preserve as much of the natural beauty as we can for her and future generations...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/25/23 01:37 PM
This is really nice! Great production, full of emotion.

The harmonica solo was adorable.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/25/23 02:13 PM
Love it, Chad. What a cool song, and I am with ya on tree-huggin'. Excellent harmony and I really like your daughters "ears." Good sounds, you two. The video was really cool too. The mix is superb, but every once in a while I hear some strang anomaly. The first one is at 0:14. You sing "sings" and then there's a click like a twig snapping. Again there's something as they "fall one by one to the ground." There's another bit at 1:28. But the song is so good none of that really matters. Good write.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/25/23 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Love it, Chad. What a cool song, and I am with ya on tree-huggin'. Excellent harmony and I really like your daughters "ears." Good sounds, you two. The video was really cool too. The mix is superb, but every once in a while I hear some strang anomaly. The first one is at 0:14. You sing "sings" and then there's a click like a twig snapping. Again there's something as they "fall one by one to the ground." There's another bit at 1:28. But the song is so good none of that really matters. Good write.

Thanks much Ron, David, & Marty!
Appreciate all feedback.
The little superstar did great haha. She has accompanied on open stages too. I play the G-harp and she will play the High-G harp or percussion.
The strange anomaly (I forgot to point out) is indeed twigs snapn. I mixed in a part of the video's audio where you can hear a voice and some walking.
Best,
Chad
Posted By: Al-David Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/26/23 09:00 AM
HI Chad,

Well, was the nice, or what? I vote for nice.

That was a lovely video. Nice to see you singing "in person". Loved the harmonica break with you & your daughter.

I liked everything about this, the song, the production, the video, and, well - everything. very nice, indeed!

Best to ya,

Alan
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/28/23 03:15 AM
Hey thanks Alan! Ya I do like and do a lot of the creating during the mix and BIAB players that I find to help shape it....the video went together easily...love when that happens
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/28/23 09:52 PM
Cool in so many aspects.

And how timely as just this we week we discovered a 250-300 year old willow oak. The largest we've ever seen.

The write is great, the vocals are fine, the mix is good and the harmonica solo was worth the price of admission!
What a treasure you have playing music with here.

Enjoyed it ... a lot

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/29/23 08:16 AM
Hi, Chad.

As soon as I heard the crack of people walking on branches, I remembered complaining about it before. wink

Other than that, same as before: cool song.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/29/23 04:06 PM
Thanks J & B and Dave,
yes, the best part was playing the harp with her! She is not shy at all about playing music... Did some percussion and harp at a festival open stage here (Blueskies). Yes ,seeing the old trees in a forest is magical--even the sound in the forest is different around such trees.

Dave, i was not sure if i had posted this earlier but on my search, i could not find it so assumed I had not. searching again now, I did find by searching all of my posts..oops
Posted By: MarioD Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/29/23 04:14 PM
Chad, what a fantastic song.
I agree about saving forests.
Great vocal and mix.
Super video.
PS - I think you have a future superstar next to you playing the harmonica.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/30/23 05:30 PM
Thanks much Mario!!!
Yes! i need to figure out how to nurture that to see what sort of instruments she gravitates towards.
Appreciate your time and thoughts on the tune!
Chad
Posted By: rsdean Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 11/30/23 06:20 PM
Chad,

Great song, great mix and love the vocals.

Bob
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/01/23 12:55 AM
Thanks Bob,
Vocals is the part that I take the most care with for certain...glad it is liked
Thanks much for the note
Chad.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/02/23 11:56 PM
Absolutely gorgeous footage in your video.

I enjoyed the song too. And that harmonica solo/duet was a highlight.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/04/23 04:53 PM
thanks kindly for watching and feedback!
best,
Chad
Posted By: firesong Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/04/23 06:51 PM
Chad...beautiful song...really nice video...loved the duet with you and your daughter...well produced and performed.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/04/23 08:06 PM
Beautiful. Well written and performed. Well done to you and to your daughter ... your duet made me smile smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/05/23 01:11 AM
Really nicely done!! Cool song with a pleasant arrangement and a very nice vocal!! It all works!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Trembling Aspen Leaves - 12/07/23 01:16 AM
Cool folk song. Excellent video. Well done
© PG Music Forums