PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 03:24 PM
Latest from Marty and myself. Still no Chris, but it looks like she might be back in action by May. I have a couple of songs waiting for her wink
For this one I used the AI program from Microsoft called Copilot to generate the images, and was pretty much blown away by the results! Very impressive program.

The Band:

~673:Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085
4071:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm MemphisSlowBluesPat Ev 085

Marty Straub from BabuMusic is on bass

I used EZDrummer3 for the drums and percussion, and played the lead guitar parts.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone 10.

Music from the Soul (2024, Dave Bell)

You shouldn't write a song if you got nothing to say
You shouldn't play a guitar if you can't feel the notes that you play
Music from the soul is what matters, at the end of the day

You can't write a song from an empty heart, and make it sound true
It takes the tears and the laughter, to make a melody blue
Let the music from the soul, shine on through

Let the music flow on through you, like a river deep and wide
It carries joy and sorrow, on a soulful ride
The music will be true if you let your soul be the guide.

​Writing from your soul, will make it sound true
It takes the tears and the laughter, to make a melody blue

All comments welcome!
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 03:45 PM
Great song lyrics, arrangement and the usual excellent lead guitar work. Wonderful.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 05:40 PM
One of Janice’s daily calendar quotes two weeks ago was “music in the soul can be heard by the universe” and we’re happy that your soul’s music is here for us. 😊

We agree wholeheartedly with your lyric and yours and Marty’s performances certainly let your souls and your joy shine through your music.

The wonderland in your video is amazing and beckoning to us.

Cool!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 06:11 PM
MAGIC.

A wonderful write.
"...Music from the soul is what matters"

Gorgeous Guitar.
Buttery Bass.
Masterful Mix.

Pure Magic.

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 06:38 PM
Dave
Your are speaking/singing some really truthful stuff here! Your guitar work is always so impressive to me! You have great tone for a blues type guitar solo that really delivers the goods! Marty's bass work is not to be overlooked here either.....always in the pocket and so solid! Dave you did a fine job singing this I know you are looking forward to Chris joining you for a project and it will be great to hear her again. You are doing just fine!
Thanks TB
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 10:13 PM
Hi Dave,

Good song and I loved that guitar work - excellent.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Music from the Soul - 03/22/24 11:59 PM
Dave and Marty, the first thing that came to my mind was Bloomfield and Kooper.
Loved that axe!
Marty's bass is always in the pocket.
Great vocal and mix.
Blues at its absolute best.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Music from the Soul - 03/23/24 02:34 AM
Hi, Dave.

What to say? Blues, screaming lead guitar, excellent vocals, nice write, solid groove with the bass and drums.

Excellent! laugh
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/23/24 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by WaoBand
Great song lyrics, arrangement and the usual excellent lead guitar work. Wonderful.

Happy you liked it, thanks!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Music from the Soul - 03/23/24 09:20 AM
Dave / Marty,

You guys are a blues machine... Everything about this is great. Also love the video.

Excellent song and production.

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Music from the Soul - 03/23/24 01:50 PM
Dave, really nice concise blues write. The guitar is on fire. Great feel and tone. Your vocal is excellent and delivers the message well. Marty’s bass is always in the pocket. This is modern blues at it’s best, Tom
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Music from the Soul - 03/23/24 08:38 PM
I'm always impressed by your guitar solos with Marty on bass, I could listen to you for hours.
There's a certain magic between you two.
Your voice sounds a bit raspier than usual, but I think it fits the song well.
Mixing/production is really good!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/24/24 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
One of Janice’s daily calendar quotes two weeks ago was “music in the soul can be heard by the universe” and we’re happy that your soul’s music is here for us. 😊

We agree wholeheartedly with your lyric and yours and Marty’s performances certainly let your souls and your joy shine through your music.

The wonderland in your video is amazing and beckoning to us.

Cool!

J&B

Happy you two liked the song, and thanks for the comment over on YouTube also! We are trying to grow our following there and every bit helps.

As far as the video goes, I’ve been wanting to experiment with AI graphics after seeing what Scott and Robert have been doing, and Marty has done some cool things with it too. Lots of fun, and quite effective IMHO.
Posted By: rayc Re: Music from the Soul - 03/24/24 05:24 AM
World weary vocals and a stinging guitar held up to the ear on fat, fat bass.
Excellent.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Music from the Soul - 03/24/24 10:18 AM
Awesome song! Love the lyrics, and the world weary vocals are perfect. The guitar screams in all the right ways and places, and the bass is rock solid. Awesome song...did I say that already? Worth repeating. smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/25/24 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
MAGIC.

A wonderful write.

Gorgeous Guitar.
Buttery Bass.
Masterful Mix.

Pure Magic.

fj

Appreciate that, Floyd, thanks!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Music from the Soul - 03/25/24 05:28 AM
Dave & Marty
Great work. Excellent song and great to hear you stretching out on that melodic solo.
Top stuff.

Peter
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: Music from the Soul - 03/25/24 10:36 AM
The blues are still there. beautiful guitar solo
Laurent
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/25/24 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
MAGIC.

A wonderful write.

Gorgeous Guitar.
Buttery Bass.
Masterful Mix.

Pure Magic.

fj

Appreciate that, Floyd!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Music from the Soul - 03/25/24 10:17 PM
Great work Dave and Marty!

Love this.

It has a real Santana feel to it. Nice chops y'all!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Music from the Soul - 03/26/24 09:04 AM
Dave & Marty,

Another super song and production. All the expected excellence from both of you shines in this great song. Love the tone on the lead guitar! Marty's bass just the right amount of punch.

A great example of excellence in music.

Take care,

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/27/24 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
Dave
Your are speaking/singing some really truthful stuff here! Your guitar work is always so impressive to me! You have great tone for a blues type guitar solo that really delivers the goods! Marty's bass work is not to be overlooked here either.....always in the pocket and so solid! Dave you did a fine job singing this I know you are looking forward to Chris joining you for a project and it will be great to hear her again. You are doing just fine!
Thanks TB

Very kind of you, Torrey, thanks!

Originally Posted by NigelSpiers
Hi Dave,

Good song and I loved that guitar work - excellent.

Best Regards
Nigel

Appreciate that, Nigel!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Music from the Soul - 03/27/24 01:40 PM
What a good song, Dave. You have a real knack for writing catchy melodies and hooks that turn into earworms. Your vocals are quite engaging and wonderfully unique. Thanks for letting me play bass, and then making it sound even better in the mix. The video for this one is WAY over the top, and thanks for getting me involved with CoPilot.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/28/24 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by MarioD
Dave and Marty, the first thing that came to my mind was Bloomfield and Kooper.
Loved that axe!
Marty's bass is always in the pocket.
Great vocal and mix.
Blues at its absolute best.

Hi Mario,

Man, Mike Bloomfield is one of the best guitarists that ever lived! WAY ahead of his time, better than all his contemporaries (in my opinion of course) and his playing still sound fresh today. I've heard most, maybe all, of his stuff. And of course the Super Session albums he did with Al Kooper are classic! Unfortunately due to his childhood he suffered from very low self esteem which led to drug and alcohol abuse.

Thanks for the support, very much appreciated!

Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Dave.

What to say? Blues, screaming lead guitar, excellent vocals, nice write, solid groove with the bass and drums.

Excellent! laugh

Thanks, David!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Music from the Soul - 03/29/24 12:20 AM
The lyrics say it all. Superb musicianship at both the low and high end. The lead sings from the soul. Wowza!
Posted By: firesong Re: Music from the Soul - 03/29/24 12:30 AM
I love songs about songs! This is so well done! I think we all can identify with the sentiment but not many of us can express it so well...I really liked your vocals on this one Dave...expressive and genuine...really nice!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Music from the Soul - 03/29/24 08:20 PM
Hi BlueAttitude,

Nice video to illustrate your composition. The melody is very pleasant. I noticed that you also like the bmp 85 which lends itself very well to very soft compositions. Well done. I appreciated.

Jani.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/30/24 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Dave / Marty,

You guys are a blues machine... Everything about this is great. Also love the video.

Excellent song and production.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Originally Posted by tommyad
Dave, really nice concise blues write. The guitar is on fire. Great feel and tone. Your vocal is excellent and delivers the message well. Marty’s bass is always in the pocket. This is modern blues at it’s best, Tom

Quite a compliment coming from a pro like you smile Thanks!

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
I'm always impressed by your guitar solos with Marty on bass, I could listen to you for hours.
There's a certain magic between you two.
Your voice sounds a bit raspier than usual, but I think it fits the song well.
Mixing/production is really good!

Yeah, we have fun which is what matters at the end of the day. Thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/31/24 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by rayc
World weary vocals and a stinging guitar held up to the ear on fat, fat bass.
Excellent.

Thanks, Ray!

Originally Posted by DC Ron
Awesome song! Love the lyrics, and the world weary vocals are perfect. The guitar screams in all the right ways and places, and the bass is rock solid. Awesome song...did I say that already? Worth repeating. smile

Appreciate that, Ron!

Originally Posted by PeterF
Dave & Marty
Great work. Excellent song and great to hear you stretching out on that melodic solo.
Top stuff.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 03/31/24 12:27 PM
I have a new mix, mostly tweaked the harmony vocal and the rhythm guitar.

Can't update the mix on YouTube, so new mix is up on ReverbNation: Music from the Soul
Posted By: jannesan Re: Music from the Soul - 04/01/24 05:00 PM
Music straight from the soul, and from the heart, you really tell what you are doing. I can feel how those guitar notes are directly connected to your soul. Great work with the vivid video that paints that soul on the canvas of musical realm. Excellent use of Marty, BIAB instruments and the drums sound really good. I enjoy to hear your singing, there's something very warm and personal.

I don't usually listen to much blues, but I could listen to Blue Attitude all day.

Janne
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Music from the Soul - 04/02/24 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by laurent4114
The blues are still there. beautiful guitar solo
Laurent

I never stray too far away from the blues wink Thanks!

Originally Posted by David Snyder
Great work Dave and Marty!

Love this.

It has a real Santana feel to it. Nice chops y'all!

Wasn't intending it to sound like Santana, but I played a lot of his songs back in the day. Some of that style stuck I guess wink Thanks!

Originally Posted by Al-David
Dave & Marty,

Another super song and production. All the expected excellence from both of you shines in this great song. Love the tone on the lead guitar! Marty's bass just the right amount of punch.

A great example of excellence in music.

Take care,

Alan

Appreciate that, Alan!

Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
The lyrics say it all. Superb musicianship at both the low and high end. The lead sings from the soul. Wowza!

Thanks, Scott!

Originally Posted by firesong
I love songs about songs! This is so well done! I think we all can identify with the sentiment but not many of us can express it so well...I really liked your vocals on this one Dave...expressive and genuine...really nice!

Really appreciate that, Dan!

Originally Posted by jannesan
Music straight from the soul, and from the heart, you really tell what you are doing. I can feel how those guitar notes are directly connected to your soul. Great work with the vivid video that paints that soul on the canvas of musical realm. Excellent use of Marty, BIAB instruments and the drums sound really good. I enjoy to hear your singing, there's something very warm and personal.

I don't usually listen to much blues, but I could listen to Blue Attitude all day.

Janne

This is possibly the nicest review I have ever received, thanks, Janne, you made my day!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Music from the Soul - 04/05/24 11:19 PM
Love this song Dave. Boy does this sound good on the studio speakers. Excellent vocal and lyric. Guitar was awesome as well and Marty's basslines give the song such cool feel. Definitely felt the soul in this too.
© PG Music Forums