PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/26/24 05:38 PM
I am told this does not happen much here. Perhaps it should be done more. grin

Dare I say this song has haunted me over the many years. With FJ's permission I did a cover. I am putting together a collection of songs for my wife who is suffering with Altzheimes disease. Truth be told covering this song was likely more cathartic for me but my wife loved this song as much as I.

DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth.

Doing this was extremely educational. FJ has a way with spinning a wonderful story and creating an atmosphere with just the most simple of chords. On top of that his phrasing which winds in and out of the beat is a masterclass. Something that can't be repeated here.

Thanks FJ for allowing me to cover this.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/26/24 05:40 PM
Absolutely beautiful, the tracks work perfectly with the fragile nature of your vocal performance. Very nice
Posted By: Derochette Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/26/24 08:20 PM
It is a very beautiful composition full of charm and sensitivity. The guitar accompaniment that I like is well done. I enjoyed both the lyrics and the melody.

Jani
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/26/24 09:21 PM
DrDan, I agree - I'd like to see this done more often. Floyd is a great writer IMO, and I sure am glad he let you cover this. The song is great and your rendition is very well done, very heartfelt.

Brad
Posted By: MarioD Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/26/24 10:47 PM
Dan, first thing is I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's issues.
Great song/cover.
I can feel the love in your vocal.
Loved it.
Stay strong my friend.
Posted By: dcuny Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 05:52 AM
Hi, Dan.

Sorry to hear your wife has Alzheimer's disease. That's a tough thing for both of you.

Nice cover! To be honest, I'm not sure I'd dare to try covering one of floyd jane's songs. Sure, the arrangements are great, but there's magic in his phrasing.

That said, I didn't think of floyd jane when hearing the song - there's too much of you in the vocal. Which is perfect. smile
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 01:10 PM
So well done, DrDan. Beautifully sung with the passion of wonderful loving experiences. Very special. Thanks for sharing, and the best to both of you.
Posted By: DrDan Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 04:46 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I appreciate the positive feedback and will move forward with my next project with your encouragement.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 06:22 PM
Dan,

This is awesome! Fantastic man!

Hey I love the photo. You look like Leonardo Da Vinci! The artiiiist!

smile

So sorry to hear about your wife, Dan. I will keep y'all in my prayers.

Happy Easter. Again, this is wonderful.
Posted By: DrDan Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 06:36 PM
[quote=David Snyder]
Hey I love the photo. You look like Leonardo Da Vinci! The artiiiist!
/quote]

Thank you David. I was going for the Mario Look.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/27/24 08:08 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your wife, I wish you all the strength you need.

I don't know the original song, but your interpretation of Floyd's song is beautiful, with a lot of feeling and heart in it.
Technically I'd put a little less reverb on the vocals, but I already love it as it is now.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
It is nice to have a place like this (forum) to post our songs.
It is always nice to have folks comment on things that they might find appealing about the song or its presentation.
It is especially nice when someone likes what we do enough to have it on a playlist to hear again.
To have someone like a song well enough to record it themselves is....priceless. Mind blowing.
A real thrill.

Nothing beats a performance from the heart.
This is certainly that.
Incredibly touching. Moving.
So much heart.

Wishing you both the best.
Keep a song in your hearts.

fj
Posted By: DC Ron Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/28/24 09:47 PM
DrDan, stunning rendition of a beautiful Floyd tune I had not heard before. Just a perfect embodiment of as perfect a love as we can know it. So sorry for your wife's Alzheimer's. Know your strength strengthens both of you. Thanks for posting something so dear and personal.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: DrDan covers FJ - A Simple Truth - 03/29/24 02:29 PM
What a wonderful thing to do for your wife and what a beautiful rendition of that lovely song.
(It’s one of Janice’s favorites of floyd’s songs also.)

Music is a powerful healing gift and we hope that the songs you’re making will bring joy to you and your wife and that support from your “forum family” gives you strength.

J&B
© PG Music Forums