PG Music Home
Posted By: Ian Fraser Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/26/10 10:05 PM
Hi everyone

"Should You Find Me" is one of my original compositions which I wrote in the mid-70s – played at the time with acoustic picking and bass guitar. The bridge was added at the request of my daughter in 2005 so that she could use the song as a college recording project.
I would welcome any suggestions you might have for this production, thanks for any feedback. Since I can't hear that well there are production things I could be missing or that could be improved.

This link is to a wma file - hopefully it will not have an linking issues which an mp3 file sometimes has. The site is virus free.
Should You Find Me

Used BIAB, RB for added RT and RDs, PT12 to assemble, edit and record. XG Daughtercard on Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard for MIDI. Final tweaking of PG Output stereo wave in Audacity (volume adjust, minor compression, silence for intro and extro, truncate to trim silence). Which BIAB style I started with I don’t remember but it became a hybrid under my own name.

Fingerpicking Acoustic played by me and input by guitar controller;
Lead part – partial generation by BIAB Soloist and myself on keyboard;
Drums - Midi Kick and RD Country Even16 added in PT12;
Pedal Steel RT370 added in RB;
All MIDI parts converted to audio by external daughtercard and tweaked as audio.
Vocal Lead recorded in PT12
Vocal Harmony in verse and chorus recorded live by friend in PT12
Vocal Harmony in bridge by TC Helicon in PT12

Thanks again - Ian
Posted By: Sundance Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/27/10 03:18 AM
Ian, I especially like how you go to the low note on "along". I thought the steel really added to the feel of the song. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/27/10 01:27 PM
Hi Josie

Glad to have you visit. The steel guitar was a last minute addition because "I could".
I think it brought out more emotion in the song.

Trying to follow Peter's parameters for the User Forum, I think I wrote too much.
Stuff that might come up only in viewers' comments.
You're to be commended if you waded through any of the material, Josie.

Thanks - Ian
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/27/10 05:33 PM
Ian! I liked this piece. Very good job, man!

I liked the words, music, arrangement. I found NOTHING wrong with it...

only a suggestion for a modification.... right before the last section (verse/chorus combo) I heard another instrument like a guitar picking which seemed to have replaced the piano... I liked that but it was very short. Would like to have heard that instrument a bit longer, as it broke up the continuous piano playing in the mix... possibly even drop out the piano at that point totally and pick it back up again a few bars down.

Steel added a touch of color... Again, I would have brought it in when you did....... let it run a bit, and then faded it totally out --- only to bring it back again towards the end of the song like the last chorus, etc.

Just ideas.......... no fault finding. The piece stand well as it is...... I just always hear things that aren't there...... that could be........... the possibilities are endless......... LOL

Good job, man!
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/27/10 09:03 PM
Ray. Good to hear from you.
I'm grateful for the input. The piano and the fingerpicking guitar are continuous rhythm instruments through the song - piano left and fingerpicking in the centre, the lead nylon is also in the centre - perhaps I should have separated them a bit more. Maybe I should have pulled the piano out or way back for the third verse, and then returned it for the last chorus.
I'm also never sure where to position the pedal steel in a mix - I've got it right.

I'm always open to ideas - you sound like a producer at heart. LOL
You know, I think this is the first time you've visited one of my postings
- thanks so much for weighing in.

Take care - Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 06:41 AM
Hi Ian,

I enjoyed the listen. You have a good way with music and words. I think the thing that impresses me most with your music is the honesty that's wrapped up in your words. The truth in your lyrics makes it easy to relate to your songs.

All the best with that next one!
Noel
Posted By: enjfb Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 08:50 AM
Hi Ian,
I enjoyed your song very much - a good mix and interesting words which I felt were coming from the heart.

Jim
Posted By: John Conley Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 03:27 PM
Hey Ian, thanks for a good cry.

Great job canucky.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 06:26 PM
Hi Noel
Kind words from you about the lyrics - I think over the years I've written more to my serious side.
Guess you could say my songwriting has been a way to deal with life events - it's nice if people can identify with the feelings. I hope the backing tracks did the song justice.

Ian
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 06:35 PM
Hello Jim

Thanks for giving a listen - I'm guessing some people might feel that I'm putting too much privacy out there. There have been many viewers but not many comments - good to have yours.

Ian
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 06:36 PM
Hi Ian,

I really liked this song.
Lyrics told a story that I could relate to.
Thought the mix was alright (on my system the pedal steel sounded just off stage a little - but that is just a nit pic)

Well done

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 07/30/10 06:45 PM
Quote:

thanks for a good cry

Ah jeez, John. Hope your strength was up for it.
At the time I wrote it, I was just your basic 70s sensitive guy.
Now I'm your new millennium manic with dried tear glands, writing stuff like "Road Rage" "She Smokes" and "Hang Him High".

Honoured with your visit, sir.

Stay well - Ian
"What you get is what you see"

Hi Ian, I like so much how you did put it.! First time I've seen this phrase out of its typical software context. Wonderful song Ian, sensitive story catch the soul senses. Thanks for share your songs with us.

Carlos
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/14/10 03:33 PM
Thanks so much for the comments Carlos - good to have you visit.
I never even noticed the line in that context.:D

Is it not time to have your tunes over here??

Cheers - Ian
Posted By: Powderman Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/15/10 08:51 PM
Ian,

That's a nice tune. Surely like your lyrics. Liked the steel guitar - but the placement distracted me slightly when listening to vocals. I think it needs to be there - just tweaked. I listened when you posted but guess I got distracted before I had a chance to respond.

Keepem' coming

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/15/10 10:22 PM
Powderman

Yeh I think you're right - sort of comes in heavy. Sometimes its hard to say with these ears of mine.
That's why I need the Forum feedback, and the reason I don't critique as much anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. Ian
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/16/10 04:49 PM
Ian,

your music and general conversation on the forum resonate with me.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/16/10 11:03 PM
Pat - good to hear from you and thanks.

Ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/17/10 12:27 AM
Hi “my friend who roots for the wrong hockey team” You know what I mean

I really like this one. These are some great lyrics expertly sung IMHO. Personally I would not change a thing; just my $0.02 USD.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/17/10 11:25 PM
Thanks for the song support, Mario. I was beginning to wonder if maybe the lyrics were a bit heavy for some listeners.

Not wishing Buffalo any "wings" this season. Go Sens.
You can pick your teeth with that Sabre.

Ian
Posted By: jim111 Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/20/10 10:47 PM
Hi Ian,
For what it's worth, my opinion is that you have some serious song writing skills, and I don't find the lyrics too heavy at all. Very enjoyable on all counts. If this were mine, I probably would play around with the panning, mix and effects a little, perhaps even adding a bit of 'verb here and there. :>) But by and large, I think this is darn good as is. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/22/10 02:55 AM
Thank you for that Jim.
I have a tendency to panning out to about 40/-40. Where I run in to trouble with my dwindling hearing (one step from a Cochlear Implant) is actually noticing the effects of reverb. Of course I trust better ears. I'm always amazed how most Country singers have so little apparent reverb - like Alan Jackson.
Am I not hearing it

Good to hear from you. Ian
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/26/10 07:37 PM
Ian, this is fine work- really great. When I read the amount of lyrics I thought I may be in for a long haul. Poetry type of lyrics often don't wind up making a good listenable track. You've accomplished it though. And you did it the tried and true way- what I call ear candy. There has to be something that takes the listener along each step of the way. This track builds perfectly, ebbs and flows, and most importantly, supports the heartfelt lyric at all times. There's always something to keep it wonderful, going on throughout the entire track. Kudos on a superb job Ian. This one evokes FEELING. Sorely missing these days.

A+

Dan
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/28/10 12:56 PM
Hi Dan

Interesting that you noticed the poetic "blank" verse. First comment I've ever had on that. Must be subtle.
I never realized I was writing the majority of the lyrics that way - seriously.
They just seemed to fit the chord change pattern.
It was in a discussion about rhyme with one of the other PG Forum writers that
I suddenly looked at the song and said "where's the rhyme".

I like progressively developing the arrangement - ear candy, yes. Keeps the interest
for the listener even though they may not realize it.
It's kind of a callous way of looking at song production, but one of the bigger names
in Nashville says that the radio station owners are only interested in a song that will keep the listener's attention from the Coke to the McDonalds commercial. Ear Candy, slow unfolding lyrics . . .whatever works.

Ian
Posted By: gibson Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/28/10 02:11 PM
I REALLY like that, Ian, your picking is excellent, but what do you mean by "input by guitar controller"??
Did you use use a midi guitar and then convert the midi to audio?
I enjoyed the song tremendously.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/28/10 02:50 PM
Hi Gibson

The picking was input from a midi guitar controller setup - Roland GK-2A via the Roland GI-10 guitar midi interface. The only downside is of course the midi guitar voices. It was recorded in PowerTracks many versions ago. Were I to do it again - think I will with other songs - I would make sure that the resolution was set at least at 480 maybe even 960 - it would make allowances for my picking timing.

Also there is alot of pitchbend info stemming from the input, and depending on "sensitivity" setting in the interface you can get a lot of glitches. The playing has to be very clean - mine wasn't especially. Tried to keep the timing as natural as possible by NOT quantizing, and sliding notes that were really off tempo. The midi was then converted to audio and I did what I could with plugins to warm the sound a bit.

Would have miked my J45 but my ears are not good enough to get a good sound any more.

I'm glad you enjoyed the picking and the song. Thanks for commenting
Ian
Posted By: arie Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/28/10 03:55 PM
This is just the song for me, I am still waiting to find her. Thanks, it is beautiful.
Arie from South Africa
Posted By: Skyline Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/28/10 05:17 PM
Ian, that's a very strong song, well arranged and recorded, with great vocals and guitar work. I'd have put the brush drums up a tad in the mix, but that's being really picky!
I really enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing this one.
John
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me - 08/30/10 04:43 PM
Thank you John for your checking out the song link.
Much appreciated your kind comments about the song and production.
I will check out the brushes. As I've mentioned before, these are
details which my poor hearing misses.

Cheers - Ian
© PG Music Forums