PG Music Home
Posted By: rsdean "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/15/10 04:20 PM
Hi All, here's another original done entirely in BB/RB. Thanks again for listening.

Bob

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9528479
Posted By: jford Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/16/10 01:28 AM
Hi, Bob -

I really liked the sound of this one.

I would play a little with the mixing to better blend the vocal with the accompaniment. But loved the song.
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/16/10 10:24 AM
Hi John, thanks for listening. I agree - I had a couple of different mixes and couldn't decide. After hearing all of them for a couple of hours, they all started to sound the same

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/16/10 04:37 PM
Nice song, Bob... Reminiscent of another Bob (Dylan)

I agree with John about the mix. One of the challenges when mixing live parts with midi or audio backing tracks is to get them all sounding like they reside in the same "sonic space". One thing that affects this is having inconsistent reverb in the mix. In this song there is clearly more reverb on the vocals than on the backing instruments. If there isn't too much difference, sometimes the mastering process can tie everything together with a final blanket of reverb.... but in this case it sounds like the vocals just need less reverb. As is, it sounds like the instruments are in a different room than the vocalist.

To my ear, this is true across the board in your songs.

The good news is that it's an easy fix, especially if you preserved and muted the dry vocal track track so you could experiment with varying effects on the vocal track until you were happy with the mix. (If you didn't do that, it's a good idea.)

Having said that, I want to congratulate you on your compositions. All in all, your songs sound well done to me. Good job! I look forward to hearing more!
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/16/10 05:17 PM
Pat, thanks for your advice and kind words. I agree with both you and John - the vocals are too reverb heavy. I really need to work on my mastering skills and pay more attention to the final mix.

I have just recently come back to BIAB, having used it in the mid 90's for a while. I am floored by the capabilities that this program has and how far it's come - I look forward to getting to know it really well.

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/17/10 06:55 AM
Quote:

Pat, thanks for your advice and kind words. I agree with both you and John - the vocals are too reverb heavy. I really need to work on my mastering skills and pay more attention to the final mix.

I have just recently come back to BIAB, having used it in the mid 90's for a while. I am floored by the capabilities that this program has and how far it's come - I look forward to getting to know it really well.

Bob

BIAB and RealBand really are great music-making programs! I look forward to hearing more from you.

It's intereseting to me that most of us used to focus on getting the song down... and then we didn't worry about mixing or mastering. But Now that BIAB/RB have made it possible to create great-sounding compositions in record time (pardon the pun), everyone seems to be focusing on the mixing and mastering now. I see that as a positive trend, one I haven't seen on most other music product forums.
Posted By: enjfb Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/17/10 11:08 AM
Hi Bob,
A very nice song - I enjoyed it very much. Very good lyrics and you sang it very nicely. For me the mix was okay. Well done - I look forward to more songs.

Jim
Posted By: Skyline Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/17/10 11:11 AM
Nice song, Bob. Reminded me of 'Me and Bobby McGee'!
Suggestions: (1) as already said above, reverb on the vocal is too strong. It's what I would call an intimiate song, where the listener should be made to feel they're sitting close to the singer and his guitar as he tells his tale. Reverb changes perspective: less=close, more=distant, so the effect on your song is to make it sound like the singer is way across the other side of the hall whereas the acoustic guitar is up close. Try a tiny bit of reverb on the vocal (you did record it dry didn't you, so you can change FX?), just enough to give a little space. (2) Use EQ to put some upper mids and high frequencies on the guitar, it sounds muffled and needs to be bright as it's the main instrument. (3) The song would benefit from a bit of added interest about two thirds through, another guitar part coming in or similar.
I think with these adjustments the song's lyric and arrangement will have a better showcase. I hope this is helpful!

John
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Running Like A Train" - BB/RB - 08/17/10 12:04 PM
Jim, thanks - very appreciated.

John, excellent suggestions. I really appreciate all the great feedback I have received.

Bob
© PG Music Forums