PG Music Home
Here's a new tune we created in the studio while playing around with some new hardware, namely the VOX DR5 practice amp, and BIAB 10.0 on our new 64 bit Windows music computer. There's nothing like BIAB for throwing something together quickly to see how a sound will sit in the mix. Actually I would say there are very few projects we do that do not include BIAB at some point in the production process. Whether it's helping a singer/songwriter get a "feel" for his song as a final product before jumping into the actual recording process, or merely creating a basic arrangement to be used in lieu of a click track in Sonar Producer. BIAB is the one piece of recording "gear" we couldn't do without.

The song, "Leaving Tonight" was created using Real Style: ALLISF - Fast Country Ballad w/ Fiddle from SD#94. BPM=120; All volume tracks set at 127 and all other settings at 0. Tracks were transferred to Sonar Producer 8.5 via the BIAB DAW plugin as separate tracks. We added panning and reverb to taste via Sonar's Lexicon VST, and added a high pass to the two acoustic guitar tracks imported from BIAB. After recording the lead guitar melody in Sonar, the project was mixed and exported as a 16 bit WAV file. We used Sony Sound Forge for normalizing, topping and tailing and subsequent export as a 192 Kbps MP3 file. Total project creation time approx. 3 hrs.

SONG LINK: Leaving Tonight MP3

Enjoy,

Bob Buford, Producer
Summertown Recording Studios
Fort Collins, Colorado
Great song loved it! Super chops man, you sound like Duane.

I really like guitar instrumentals because I grew up on listening and trying to emulate Duane, the Ventures, the Shadows, Bill Black Combo, Billy Strange etc.

Two thumbs up!
Mario, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. For me it was Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins, Bill Black, and Lonnie Mack....40 years later and I STILL can't do Memphis like him. What an inspiration to generations of budding guitarists!!
You’re right. I should have mentioned Lonnie Mack and Chet also. I have most all of Chet’s albums but I’m not a finger picker by any stretch of the imagination. Lonnie was one hell of a guitarist also and Memphis is the standard to be measured against.

I also like jazz guitarist like Johnny Smith, Tony Mattola , Joe Pass, Benson, etc.

Also I’m a blues fan; Albert King, BB, Keb Mo, Buddy Guy and a ton of others.

Also don’t overlook some of those country pickers! Roy Clark, Jerry Reed, Joe Maphis and others.

I could go on and on but you get the picture. There are millions of great pickers out there!
Hawgly,

Great stuff!

I, too, was influenced by all of the above. I tried to emulate Merle Travis then Chet and Doc Watson. "Tried" is the operative verb. LOL

I remember when Duane was in his heyday in the mid-late 50s. Rebel Rouser is still a favorite along with 40 Miles Of Bad Road.

As Bob Hope would say: "Thanks for the memories!"
Great stuff.
Most enjoyable.
Bob,
Nice job. I don't have the country background others seem to have but it still sounds great to me.
Hope all's well with you and yours up C'Springs what with the fires. My brother in Denver says it's been pretty bad.
SD
Thanks guys...so glad you liked the song. In January of this year this song was submitted to TAXI.COM and was forwarded for TV/MOVIE use to an L.A. music producer. Quite a surprise, since it was sort of an after thought for our new "Smoky Bars and Steel Guitars" album. ( http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bobbuford ). Practically every song on this original album utilizes BIAB in some way. BIAB a great creative tool for us songwriters and producers.

Thanks for Listening,
Bob
Kudos as well for really capturing that "old rock & roll" sound. Great job!

Let us not forget Link Wray. I've been able to come up with some pretty decent BIAB arrangements for a few of his tunes, Rumble, Rawhide, and Roughshod, to back up my trusty Danelectro 56-U3.

Frank
Wow...Link Wray...now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Thanks, Frank

Bob
Hi Bob,

This one nearly slipped past me. It's brilliant. When MarioD says "Super chops", I enthusiastically agree with. You're musicianship shines through on so many levels!

Good to see you back in the forums again.
Noel
hi bob another well done song like the medley everything as a whole i like a lot of diffrent styles great job keep it up you are a very talented guy thanks for sharing eric
man,you do such nice work! I always enjoy your songs. I also appreciate the production details you provide with each projects.
Thanks everyone. Glad you're enjoying the song. What amazes me is the sound that came out of that $99 Vox amp. Just ran the line out directly into the DAW. Tone and effects are all Vox.

For a similiar guitar vibe listen to this one we just finished. It's a Fender Subsonic Telecaster. http://www.summertownstudios.com/websongs/TheWayLoveGoes.mp3

Bob
BTW...entire arrangement for the song below is BIAB except the Fender and my vocal! Impressive! Thanks PG folks!

Quote:

For a similiar guitar vibe listen to this one we just finished. It's a Fender Subsonic Telecaster. http://www.summertownstudios.com/websongs/TheWayLoveGoes.mp3

Bob

Loved this tune..nice job!
Great music, and does go back years to different times.

This was the first song I listened to on my Brand new HP P7-1235.
Your music was great and sounds came out were great.

I just listened second time, the "crystal clear" sounds of all the
instruments are excellent.

Thanks for your hard work and sharing.
Hey thanks guys. One of my favorites too. @FrankB that HP P7-1235 is an impressive machine, esp the price at Newegg.com. What are you using for monitor(s)and speaker sys?

Bob
The "APU" just came out in June. The APU benchmark speed was about 6500, so happy
with specs, and 4 hours of on-time. Bought it thru Wally world with good warranty.
Pricing is about same at quite a few locations. Good bang for the buck. Hadda save
some $$$$ for BIAB upgrades.....hope, hope, hope.

Its 3 year old, but using ACER AL2216W monitor 1. Not hooked up yet, this PC is barely
warmed up, but also use an Acer A221 HQV, both 22 inch. Like the Al unit best.
It just old enough to have a full size screen, not the new style 16 x 9 type screen.

I will run the unit for 24-7 days for burn in checks.

I have a set of Aoustic Research Studio Partner Speakers, older ones, but sound excellent.
Also use ATH-M40fs studio phones, as recommended by member on this forum.

Again, your music is still giving me an "earworm".

Have a good day!
Haha...an EARWORM? I never heard that one before. Is that like an itchy ear?

Bob
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm
OK...like when someone says "Don't think of the music to 'Green Acres'!!!" and then you can't get it out of your head for a week? I've heard of the phenomenon, didn't know it had a name.

Bob
I'm digging it....and I'm well old enough to have listened to all of Duane's stuff the first time around. The fiddle really works well in the mix. My wife just envisioned a cowboy riding into the sunset. Cool.
© PG Music Forums