PG Music Home
Posted By: George Nelson New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/09/10 10:46 AM
Hi all,

Here is a song that I composed with RealTracks using both BiaB and Real Band.
Pale Moonlight

Words are here : Pale Moonlight Lyrics
I used the file that I generated in Band In a Box called Guitar Needed SGU ( I hadn't given it a title at this point)
I had used the style AG_Frank
A melody came to me whilst listening to the chord progression.
I then decided the lyrics and gave the song the title Pale Moonlight.
I had asked for collaboration from the forum, Wyndham and Pat Marr were kind enough to offer help.
I got a guitar track from Wyndham and included that in the mix.
NOTE: Pat Marr also tried to help but we could not get his guitar track (recorded in Sonar) to line up correctly in RealBand.
I would like to thank Wyndham, Pat Marr for the help given in this song.
I also used a drum file that Silvertones put out on the forum (he called it Surf) it went quite well with the drums I had chosen in my song.

I then muted all midi tracks and generated RealTracks as follows.
RealDrums - Surf
RealDrums - NashvilleEven8^5-HiHat,Ride
RealTrack - RT425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealTrack - RT572:Bass, Electric, Blues BB Ev 085
RealTrack - RT382:Guitar, Slide, Background Blues Ev 085
RealTrack - RT588:Sax, Tenor, 2-Beat Rock Ev 110 (Bluesy)
Vocal Track x2 for my voice
Harmony Track x 4 (2up 2down) using chords. I took the lowest harmony voice and adjusted the Pitch shift to -3 semitones.
Guitar Track x2 (1 from Wyndham and 1 from me)

I didn't use any Track category as I used the following in Aux Send
A1 - Waves q10Paragraphic EQ Mono
A2 - PG Dynamics
A3 - (VST)Ambience

Also Audio Master Insert
A1 - Waves Rvox
A1 – PG Peak Limit

Comments welcome.

Regards
Michee
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/09/10 11:04 AM
Hey Michee,

It sounds like you have a whole heap of fun putting this song together. And I've got to say, you've come up with the goods! In my opinion, you have really extended yourself with this composition, arrangement and mix. It's incredibly different from your usual genre. One thing that I found myself wondering was if you had tried using a stereo delay on the vocal track to bring your vocals a little more into the foreground. It would really suit this song. A setting that I sometimes use is to have the right delay at zero and the left delay at 10 ms. This setting also seems to help boost the stereo image of my vocals. (The plugin I use is MDA Delay.)

With each song you post, Michee, your work gets better and better!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/12/10 10:58 AM
Hi Noel,

Thanks for your nice comments.
I did have fun with this song - everybody who writes songs should try some that are outside their comfort zone it may surprise you what comes out of it.

Quote:

One thing that I found myself wondering was if you had tried using a stereo delay on the vocal track to bring your vocals a little more into the foreground. It would really suit this song. A setting that I sometimes use is to have the right delay at zero and the left delay at 10 ms. This setting also seems to help boost the stereo image of my vocals. (The plugin I use is MDA Delay.)

I have never tried that Noel, but I will in my next song.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: mglinert Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/12/10 07:31 PM
PLenty happening on this one, Michee, but I think it holds together well. Funny I hear the title more as "Walk With Me".
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/13/10 04:54 AM
Hi mglinert,

Yes the song is rather busy but as you say it fits.
As this genre is new to me (songwriting the "Blues" that is) I will have to learn not to overdo the instrument action.
I could have used the title "Walk With Me" but as there is a song already with that title I thought "Pale Moonlight" was just as good.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/20/10 05:01 AM
Michee,
First, I agree with Marc, I'd call this song WALK WITH ME - there are tons of songs with the same name so personally I wouldn't sweat that too much (as long as it's not one of mine. LOL)
Second, your lyrics and melody are simple and catchy. The arrangement is fun. Your hook "walk with me" has been stuck in my head ever since the first time I heard it. So I've come back to listen again. That is exactly what a song should do. Kudos.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New Song - Pale Moonlight - 09/20/10 09:08 AM
Hi Sundance,

I will accept yours and marcs suggestion and change the title to "Walk With Me" (that's not one of yours is it?)

Thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

Best regards
Michee
© PG Music Forums