PG Music Home
Posted By: jford Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/16/10 02:57 AM
Here are a few original songs that my buddy Chris and I wrote over the years. Most started with Band-In-A-Box and then went to either PowerTracks or RealBand. I hope you enjoy them. Chris is singing the lead vocals.

Ballad Of The Chessie Cat
This song was written after a Christmas In July Cruise on the Chesapeake Bay on a boat named "The Chessie Cat".

Follow Me
For Christians, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Back To You
For the world we live in, we should know where our help comes from.

On Your Wedding Day
Chris wrote this song for the father-daughter dance at his daughter's wedding. Subsequently, another friend of ours (who sings with us) recorded it also and played it for both of his daughters' weddings. It's a very special song with lots of meaning for both of them.

She Knows The Way
Chris wrote this for his wife. I did the arrangement using the wonderful tools provided by BIAB and RealBand.

We have more songs, we just need to lay them down, and will. But I hope you enjoy these for now.

Peace!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/16/10 11:26 PM
Hi John,

I'm listening to "Chessie Cat" as I type. I love it! It reminds me of John Denver. The mix is terrific. What impressed me most, though, were the lyrics. Their syllabic stresses were exceptionally well matched with the appropriate rhythmical stresses. This is what I work at the most in my lyrics. I've discovered that if words do not sit correctly, it's harder for listeners to understand them. I understood every one of your song's lyrics. Is that you singing? It's a terrific voice.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I'll have to come back to the next in your list at another time as I'm just in the process of racing out
Posted By: jford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/17/10 01:11 AM
Hi, Noel -

That's Chris singing, and then a bunch of us (including me) on the chorus. I'm so glad you mentioned John Denver, because what I tried to achieve was a John Denver "Calypso" kind of feel to the song with the boat's bell and a rhythm of the engines. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Chris has a great voice, and a great talent for someone that doesn't actually read music. I think we make a good team and we have such a great time together making the music.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/17/10 01:26 PM
Hi John

I'm just thinking that for all of the years we've been around here, I can't think of another time when you have posted some of your work - I'm sure you must have but I can't recall. Glad you finally have in the M.E. (Modern Era)

Very relaxed good feeling songs - nicely mixed. Do you guys have a small studio and a control room?
I'm just curious. You strike me as a man who would build one without a word because it was needed, just as you quietly and efficiently work away at your music projects. Funny how we develop mental portraits.

Very much enjoyed - Ian
Posted By: jford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/17/10 01:53 PM
Hi, Ian -

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have posted a few works over the years, but not many.

No, we don't have a studio, just a computer, some equipment, and a basement. On some of the songs, Chris recorded his guitar and vocals in his basement, then gave me the files on CD. I then continued working on it in my basement, as I have time, and then we might get together to finalize it. We did record "On Your Wedding Day" at a small studio, which was built in the guy's basement. It would be nice to have a studio, but then we might have to take ourselves to seriously once the investment was made.

This is all hobby and fun for us.

Thanks again for listening.
Posted By: retake Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/17/10 05:29 PM
John,

"On Your Wedding Day" made me emotional. I just married off my last and youngest daughter about 4 weeks ago.

I love "Back To You". It is so very true! This song is powerful. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Posted By: jford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/17/10 05:34 PM
Hi, Steve -

Congratulations on the wedding. There were a lot of tears (of joy) on the dance floor at the wedding when dad danced with daughter; very beautiful. A song is quite a gift to give your child.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/19/10 01:47 AM
Hi John,

I have listened to all these songs and I’ll be dammed if I can pick a favorite! They are all top shelf. Excellent mixes on all of them!

My only observation would be why post them here? Why not make a CD and sell them? They are that good!

Excellent work my friend!
Posted By: jford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/20/10 10:32 AM
Hi, Mario -

Thanks for the kind comments. We have been and are still working to lay all our songs down, but it's the whole day-job thing, the commute, other priorities, etc that seem to get in the way. Maybe when we finally get them all done, we can just call our first CD our "Greatest Hits CD".
Posted By: Buford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/20/10 12:19 PM
Hey John! Some really nice things here! My fav is Chessie Cat.

Keep 'em coming,
Bob
Posted By: jford Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/20/10 02:59 PM
Hi, Hawgly -

Thanks for listening. Chessie Cat is a lot of fun.

Chris and I are working to getting more songs laid down by the end of the year, so I'll definitely post once that happens.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Original Songs from Werle-Ford - 09/22/10 11:30 AM
Hi John,

I've just listened to "She Knows The Way". What a terrific melody. The chorus is exceptional, in my book. It reminded me of Bobby Goldsboro's "Watching Scotty Grow". Please pass on my compliments to Chris, it's a terrific song. Your arrangement is top shelf, too. You've captured the essence of the lyrics beautifully.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums