PG Music Home
Posted By: George Nelson Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/16/10 09:47 PM
Hi All,

I wrote this song last night and just had to get it down.
It is what it is - Welcome To My Heart

If anyone is interested I will let you know which style I chose etc.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/16/10 11:39 PM
Hi Michee,

That's an amazing speed in writing, arranging and mixing a song! You must have broken the sound barrier.

The feel of this song is terrific. What style was it? You've got a really good thing happening here. Sometimes the doubled (quadrupled?) vocals lacked clarity to my ears, I'm not quite sure why, and this made it hard for me to understand some of the lyrics. I think if you come back to this production after a day or two's rest, you'll hear what I mean. Of course, it could always be my ears too!! Other than that, though, I'm incredibly impressed. I could never accomplish a final product, start to finish, in an evening

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/17/10 01:14 AM
Well, a little more twang in the voice, and this could be a Hank Williams song.

Very cool!
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/17/10 05:38 AM
Michee,

A very authentic traditional (boom-chuck) country song. Reminds me of many country hits from the 50's & early 60's. I thought the mix was cool too (especially considering the rush job).

The bridge is very catchy. I like it. Nice Job! I do think some harmony in the bridge would be effective, all I'm hearing now is a chorus effect on the lead vocal.

All the best,

Greg
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/17/10 06:43 AM
Hi Noel,

I used the following style:
Style is _CSWNGMD.STY (Country Swing Medium-Fast(140RS))
RealTracks in style: ~539:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~372:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~~1139:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingCleanA-B Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~~971:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingGrittyA-B Sw 085
RealDrums in Style: NashvilleSwing8^3-Hihat,Ride
I added a Pedal Steel for the solo (wish there was more choice for solo Real track Guitars)

It was just one of those moments of inspiration that happen (no clue of where it came from except a higher influence)
I will come back to the song and refine all instruments including my voice as it is just a quick mix together.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.
I really appreciate that.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/17/10 06:47 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for the Hank Williams comment, I'm suitably embarrassed now

Ta for taking a listed and commenting.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/17/10 06:50 AM
Hi Greg,

Thank you for your nice comments.

Yes I will go back when I have more time and redo the vocals and try out your suggestion of harmony.
As I said in my post, I just had to get it down.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Buford Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/18/10 01:21 PM
Hi George...very nice work and very "Hank" sounding song. You didn't mention which steel you used although it sounds like the Opry real track. I'd like to know more about how you generated the steel solo.

Great job; keep 'em coming!

Bob
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/18/10 04:24 PM
Hi Bob,

I used the following Pedal steel - RT612:Pedal Steel, Background Opry Sw 130
I just generated it in Realband and used the very 1st generation.
Left the volume as is and only gave it a boost in the solo section (wish there was more guitar country solo's to fit this kind of song )
Thanks for your nice comments.

I will be revisiting this song at a later time to change the vocals and maybe the lyrics in parts.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/18/10 06:53 PM
Nice country tune. Great melody. I think the voice could use less reverb. Experiment. Coming along nice though.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/19/10 01:40 AM
This what I would call a Quick and Dirty. That is something that goes down very quickly. These are usually the best songs. Just grab the moment and run with it. You did that extremely well here!

I agree with the Hank statement!

I also agree that the vocals lack clarity. The next time just sing it sans any effects. Then go back and a small amount of reverb. Your voice is a strong one so you don’t need a lot of effects IMHO.

GREAT SONG!
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/19/10 04:37 PM
Hi Ed,

Thanks for taking a listen and commenting.
Yes, I will rework the vocals when I have the time and use less reverb.
I may also add harmonies.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/19/10 04:40 PM
Hi Mario,
Quote:

This what I would call a Quick and Dirty

Yes that was what it was. Just needed to get it down in case I forgot the melody
Thanks for taking a listen and commenting.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/20/10 10:38 AM
Hi all,

I have updated my song (you can hear it in the original thread)
I changed the Key from Bb to G and redid the vocals.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Buford Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/20/10 06:47 PM
WOW! Michee...what a difference. You nailed it! Great job. Keep 'em coming

Bob
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/21/10 05:14 AM
Bob's right you nailed it.

I like the new key better too, but I'd still like to hear some harmony on the bridge, maybe every line where it says welcome to my heart.

Still sounds good though.

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/21/10 11:08 PM
Hi Michee,

Quote:

WOW! Michee...what a difference. You nailed it! Great job. Keep 'em coming.

A huge +1 from me. This version works for me so much better than the original version. I've been to a truck load of songwriting seminars over the last 3 years with some of the biggest names in the business and all say that "rewrite, rewrite, rewrite...." is the key to success. To my way of thinking, you've just proved it!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/23/10 08:46 AM
Hi Greg,

I did in fact place some harmony on the bridge/chorus but probably tweaked it down too much.
I don't like to hear the artifacts that are introduced in the TC Helicon harmony that comes with BiaB.

Thanks once again.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/23/10 08:50 AM
Hi Noel,

Yes I'm beginning to understand that the songwriter has to (on occasions) let his creation grow and re-writing allows that to happen.

Thanks once again

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/23/10 09:55 AM
Michee,

somehow I missed the first version, but this version sounds very good to me. I especially like the ending... it was perfect. Did you have to generate the pedal steel multiple times to get that closing riff? (reading back through the other posts I see that you used the first take... that is a good testimony to the intelligence of the real tracks and their ability to put appropriate riffs in the right places)

As I listened, my ears wanted to hear more vocal harmony. And I agree with your comments about artifacts and vocal processors... but why not just record a natural harmony? It's one of your strengths, my friend! Not all of us are good vocalists, and we HAVE to rely on vocal processing... but I don't think that's the case with you.

Reading through the comments I see that you started in one key, then changed it. Congratulations on that. I think many of us are trying to embellish the music with vocals instead of letting the music support the vocals in a key that is right for the singer. The music accompanies YOU, not the other way around. This song is a good example of getting the idea down, then finding the right key and adapting the backing track to enhance the melody. Good job!
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/24/10 08:40 AM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking a listen and your nice comments.
I didn't have to do anything with the ending, the Pedal Steel has that ending (try it and see)
I tried to give it harmony (with me singing) but I just don't get it down right.
It sounds all wrong hence the TC Helicon.
Isn't it funny that you can sing one song in a specific key i.e. F, but when you try another song that key just seems wrong.
You'd think the songs you write (by you, I mean me) would all be in one key?

Thanks once again Pat

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 09/24/10 11:31 AM
Quote:

Hi Pat,
I tried to give it harmony (with me singing) but I just don't get it down right.
It sounds all wrong hence the TC Helicon.
Isn't it funny that you can sing one song in a specific key i.e. F, but when you try another song that key just seems wrong.
You'd think the songs you write (by you, I mean me) would all be in one key?

Thanks once again Pat

Best regards
Michee

Harmonies can include a LOT of different options... notes above or below the melody.. 3rds, 5ths, 7ths etc. Surely a man who sings as well as you can find SOMETHING that works!

Maybe if you experiment you'll find that there's an obscure aspect of the harmony that bothers you and not the notes themselves. Maybe if you post some experiments in harmony, somebody will offer a comment that turns on a light that you might not have considered. Group intellect is a powerful thing.

Song after song you sing flawlessly... I just can't believe that your harmonies would be be any less.
Posted By: Powderman Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 10/02/10 02:04 AM
Michee,

I was listening before I started reading the rest of the post and "Hank" came to mind right away. Great job. Slightly less verb on the vocal maybe. Sounds great for the short time you have spent on it - wish I could put them together that fast and that good.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 10/02/10 10:29 AM
Hi Pat,

I have tried to do what you suggest, but I am at a loss as to how you do a harmony correctly.
I have tried to do the following.
1. Use the TC Helicon harmony and use that harmony to follow with my real voice ( sounds awful )
2. Tried using transpose the chords and sing in a new key ( sounds awful ) must be doing something wrong?

Just don't get it.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 10/02/10 10:33 AM
Hi Powderman,

Thanks so much for listening to and commenting on my song.
I think that the songs that just fall from above in less than 20 minutes are the ones that work much better, in my opinion, than songs that you have to keep modifying and tweaking.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 10/11/10 10:25 AM
Hi All,

I have updated this song with a new version.

I hope it is sounding a little better as I have been learning some new mixing techniques.

Thanks
Michee
Posted By: Buford Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 10/11/10 09:20 PM
Michee...

Wow...This is really starting to sound good!

Check your private email for the info you requested.

Great job,
Bob
Posted By: seeker Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/15/12 04:49 AM
Michee,

Absolutely fantastic, like others commented sounds like "Classic" country.

Love the beat the background and especially your vocals.
As many other mentioned "If Only I".

Thanks for sharing you "Epiphany" with us what a treat.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/15/12 09:42 AM
Hi seeker,

Thanks for taking a listen.

I appreciate your kind words.

Best regards
George
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/15/12 04:37 PM
Very nice song George, still to me there is to much reverb. It does not allow the vocal to sit atop the mix properly and it kind of sinks down inside it. I also struggle with this, and on my last one i use to little reverb i think.

Overall a right proper country tune!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/15/12 04:47 PM
Classic country sound for sure. A little too much reverb on the main vocals. You also need to bring the main vocal a little more to the front also. Listen to some songs that sound like this and notice where the vocal sits in the mix.

I have the same issue with vocals not being up-front enough -- I think it is because that I "hear" my voice so well and turn it down (ha, ha). Probably an argument for NOT mixing your own stuff!

Kevin
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/16/12 10:26 AM
Hi Robh,

I have updated the song as per the reverb (I removed most of it)

I would appreciate if you would let me know if it sounds any better.

You can find it at the original link.

Thank you for listening.

Best regards
George
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/16/12 10:29 AM
Hi Kevin,

I have removed most of the reverb from the song and added some harmony.
I would be grateful if you could give it another listen and let me know if it sounds any better.

You can find the new version on the original link.

I appreciate your feedback.

Best regards
George
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/16/12 03:22 PM

What a difference! Super George.
The harmony works very well and gives it a lift.

You might want to take a listen again to the ending -
seems to me the bass trailing out was cut off - makes the ending a bit abrupt.

Well done song. 2 Thumbs up.

Ian
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/17/12 10:11 AM
Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking a listen to the updated version.
I appreciate the comments.
Like yourself I have a hearing problem.. lost a little of the low end due to sitting under the North Sea in an engine room whilst moving oil rigs around

I just don't hear the bass cutting off at the ending of the song.. sorry.

Best regards
George
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/22/12 03:54 AM
George,
I just gave it another listen... this is a very natural sounding style for you, and you sure have done a nice job all around with this song

The harmonies ended up sounding just right, however you did them
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/22/12 04:19 PM
michie,

i think your writing and singing continues to mature. as stated, find your vocal "comfort zone" and let the music support the vox. i too was impressed by the psg. very believable licks. it fooled me completely. more please.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/22/12 08:59 PM
That's country. Very nice production. Voice fits style perfectly for this style.

My Music
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/23/12 12:38 PM
Hi Pat,

Thank you for your nice comments.

I did the harmonies in Band In a Box with the settings for volume up at max (sounds horrible)
I then imported them into Realband and lowered the volumes to just about audible (much better)

Best regards
George

P.S.
I have McAfee installed onto my computer and it warns me that Box.net has a history of propagating virus's
So I shall be moving all my music onto YouTube.
See my Signature for the link.
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/23/12 12:41 PM
Fit' Like Min'

You are always kind and gentle with your words.
Very much appreciated.

May yer' lum' aywis reek

Best regards
George
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/23/12 12:42 PM
Hi PgFantastic,

Thank you for that.

Best regards
George
Posted By: PRearden Re: Welcome To My Heart - Country Song - 01/26/12 02:34 AM
Yep. That's Country.
© PG Music Forums