PG Music Home
Posted By: Jay23 Short Film Soundtrack - 10/20/10 08:18 PM
Here's something different I've started fooling with that I'm pretty excited about. This audio is for a Super 8 film festival I entered. $25 entry fee, they loan you an old school super 8 camera, you shoot your 3 minutes 20 seconds and there is no editing. You can submit a soundtrack but you don't get to see the final result until the night of the showings. I think the quality is just about as bad/good as my film is going to be!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9783464

As far as what I did:

I looped a lot of short segments of realtracks and then exported to garageband where I added some Apple percussion loops and played a little bit of a garageband synthesizer. All the stringed instruments are Real Tracks except for the bass which I played. Long story short I had to record vocals on my old Snowball USB mic but I think the quality is sufficient for the overall level of the entire project.
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/20/10 09:10 PM
Hello Jay,
Talk about thinking out of the box! I loved it. Good mix and great editing of RT. It just shows what can be done with BIAB in any type of media. Keep up the great work and good luck in the contest.
Marty
Posted By: Sundance Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/21/10 12:58 AM
Hi Jay23, LOL. Very creative. Let us know when/where we can see it. Hope you win!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/22/10 10:44 PM
Hi Jay23, yes this is very creative. Excellent mix also. Good luck on the contest.
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/23/10 02:10 PM
Vocals are fine, as are strings, and the structure's cool too, nicely mapping to things in the poetry. The bass seems kind of "boomy" on my subwoofer system, and wonder what that track might sound like if it were eq'ed with less low end and more mid-range. Would love to see the visuals when it sweeps the competition.. Best of luck...(And you can throw my opinion of the bass track in the drainage ditch in ten pieces, just as long as it doesn't end up near the mistake by the lake!) Peace..
Posted By: rharv Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/23/10 07:56 PM
You got me to laugh
Reminded me of "Heathers" .. nice job. Soundtrack fit very well.

You can read the hieroglyphs on the bathroom wall .. that was good.

Bass may benefit from a touch of EQ, but not a deal killer here; rest of project more than compensates.
Nit-picking, the reverb cutoff (or damping) could be lower on female vocal track, with less predelay

But this is a great job IMHO.
Posted By: rharv Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/23/10 08:06 PM
Quote:

...(And you can throw my opinion of the bass track in the drainage ditch in ten pieces, just as long as it doesn't end up near the mistake by the lake!)

.. or wash up on the West Virginia side..

if you didn't listen, you ain't gonna get it
Posted By: DrDan Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/23/10 08:37 PM
Super job, but you say there is a video to go with this? Got to see that too.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/23/10 08:47 PM
It's all been said, Jay! This is incredibly clever. You've taken BIAB to a whole new planet!

All the best with the competition,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/24/10 09:01 AM
Wow. Original, enthralling. The real deal. Congratulations on putting that together.
If it doesn't win, just send the track to David Lynch and he'll make a superb TV six-parter from it!

John
Posted By: jim111 Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 10/26/10 12:12 AM
Hi Jay23,

I can't stop laughing long enough to post. lol

I think we get our drinking water from the Ohio river. I have a filter on it and it tastes ok, but dang, wish I had the money to spring for some bottled.

Really good, thanks for sharing.

Later,
Jim
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 12/13/11 02:30 PM
Heard the tune ready for the movie! Great job
Posted By: Superbron Re: Short Film Soundtrack - 12/16/11 02:33 PM
Quote:

Heard the tune ready for the movie! Great job

ditto!
© PG Music Forums