PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 07:02 PM
I woke up one morning with this song in my head and I don’t know why as my wife is alive and well. Anyway I wrote about 90% of the lyrics and the rhythm guitar part. SteveS wrote the balance of the lyrics and does the lead singing. BobH finished and played the guitar part. I did all the rest of the instrumentation.

There is always a touch of PGMusic’s products in virtually all of my/our songs, even those like this that did not originate in BiaB. Used in this song are two of my favorite go to effects, PGMusic’s 10 band EQ and the peaklimit.

We hope you like it and as always constructive criticism is welcomed.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 07:39 PM
Hi Mario,

I've just finished listening to your song. My wow-meter got very excited and even flew off the scale. I really, really like this. Bob, Steve and you have done a sensational job putting this together. As I was listening, I wondered if you have tried adding a little more brilliance to the vocal (say boost the 5,000 - 8,000 Hz region). Steve's got a great voice and I think that to bring out the edge of it a tad would lift the production. Some plugins that I have been playing with lately that might help are Upstereo and Schmidt EasyQ. If you don't already have these and are interested, they're free (always a great price!) and available at..

http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_UpStereo.html

http://www.rs-met.com/

I've gotta say, I'm a real fan of your work

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 09:03 PM
Hey Mario!
Great song! I really loved the lyrics and flow. Good job. I agree with Noel. Add a little EQ sparkle to slightly brighten the mix and you will be on track!
Marty
P.S. Where did the background chorus come from? Super sound.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 09:06 PM
Mario,

I just listened to this a couple times (ok now it's about 4 or 5) and... A very nice song. I liked it except for one thing.

I don't like the drum part in the verses. It's just too busy and seems to fight with the acoustic guitar part, (especially at the beginning) as well as I think it detracts from vocal. A simple part with a rim click would be much more effective in my opinion, especially when the vocal comes in. JMHO The chorus is great!

Overall I really like the song.

Good Job!

Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 10:21 PM
Noel, thank you so much for the very kind review. Thanx also for the both the vocal suggestion and the plugin web sites. I have Dled both and hopefully will give them a try soon – meaning the wife has me remodeling the dinning room so I’m under the gun (or thumb) right now

This is becoming a mutual admiration society as I’m also a big fan of your music!
Posted By: MarioD Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 10:35 PM
Thanx Marty for taking the time to listen and for the kind review. I’m going to work on the vocal EQ as soon as I can.

The chorus is made up from two voices, Jenny A Vel and Sabrina A Vel, Angelic Vocal Pads, from Precionsound. These are sounds I purchased for Kontakt. They are some of my favorite vocal chorus sounds.
Posted By: MarioD Re: God Took My Angel by PSR - 10/22/10 10:39 PM
Hi Greg, Thanx for listening and the critique. I fought with the drums on this one. Drum parts are one of my weak spots as I have a propensity for overkill. That may be what happened here. I’ll take a look.

Thanx for pointing that out!
© PG Music Forums