PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv Put It Out - 10/23/10 09:01 PM

simpletonguru with Jazzmandan.
http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/PutItOutjmd2b.WMA

Most tracks recorded in PT12 and then mixed in RB.
Jazzmandan recorded his tracks separately, processed them, and sent them to me to mix in with the rest.
His guitar tracks brought it to life.
Thanks for the tracks, Dan!

There was a thread recently debating the need for drummers; this song is an example of the difference a good drummer can make.

Tim Dubay - drums
Jazzmandan -lead guitars
the rest - Barry and I (simpletonguru)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Put It Out - 10/23/10 11:53 PM
Hey rharv,

This is really good. The production, the arrangement, the song are absolutely spectacular. Dan's guitar work is sensational! I really like the voice of the lead vocalist. Is it you? The one thing that didn't work for me entirely was the vocal harmony. Every once in a while there seemed to be a note that jarred against the melody. It was only an occasional note and really didn't detract from the overall. It might have been my ears, though. I pass the comment on simply for what it's worth.

You've got my standing ovation on this one. The 5+ minutes just flew and the song did not seem long at all.

Thank you for posting this. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DrDan Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 12:35 AM
rharv called and asked if I wanted to have some fun? OMG, what a blast for me I got to play rockstar for just a moment.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 02:41 AM
Superb sound. Fantastic guitar work. I especially loved the bass - so punchy with no mud. I felt like I was right in the room with the band caught up in the music and the mix. Rock On!
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 05:13 AM
Thanks, especially to Dan.

Barry did lead vocals (as usual)
I think we both did backup vocals, so those couple notes may well be me. They could be tuned, but then some of the live feel is lost. For what its worth, Dan mentioned those couple notes too!

Bass is my Steinberger bass; I really like that sound. It is one of my better bass performances.
Barry did lead keyboards, I did chord comps.
Dan did lead guitar, I did chords on left side guitar.

My friend Tim Dubay sat in on drums, played to the click with rock steady perfection. His performance is a big part of this song, but he fits in so well you hardly notice him. Sign of a great drummer.

Posted By: Skyline Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 08:50 AM
Top marks to all concerned. Excellent musicianship on a cool song, with a nice 'live' vibe. Very enjoyable!

John
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 04:09 PM
very original sound! Kudos to all!
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 04:51 PM
Great song! I love it when artist think out of the box. Kudos to Jazzmandan! Nice flow and punchy bass audio. Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next hit!
Marty
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 10/24/10 10:24 PM
We had fun! Thanks for comments.

Looking forward to collabing with more members here.
Curious; how were we 'out of the box' with this one?
Posted By: jim111 Re: Put It Out - 10/25/10 12:26 AM
Hi rharv,

Very enjoyable listen for me and I would like to add my congrats to all involved.

quote/ Curious; how were we 'out of the box' with this one? endquote

I'm sure different folks will have different answers, but for me, nothing outside the box as far as genre. For me the label on this box is funk -- pure plain and simple. (not sayin' that's the correct label, just the one I'd put on it. lol)

Where this is a bit unusual (for me anyway) is the "live" sound it has. Josie mentioned it above and I totally agree. I'm playing this on a very good system and I can close my eyes and easily imagine being front row at a live gig. (sans the crowd noise of course. lol)

I think a lot of mixers (sadly me included) would have pushed your bass back a bit, pumped the lead out more in places, tried to "fix" the harmonies, added a ton of compression to every track, added a bit of verb here and there, more compression, run the final thru some finishing plugs for some added high end, add a little more compression, then finally, run it thru a good compressor.

I may have gone a bit overboard there, but the point is, I would never have got to hear the good "live" mix at all as I would have done at least some of those things almost automatically. lol

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Jim
Posted By: DrDan Re: Put It Out - 10/25/10 12:43 AM
Quote:

For me the label on this box is funk -- pure plain and simple.

Totally agree - its that thumping bass that gives it that vide. But the vocals are much more alt-rock. The combination certainly adds appeal.

Quote:

Where this is a bit unusual (for me anyway) is the "live" sound it has. Josie mentioned it above and I totally agree. I'm playing this on a very good system and I can close my eyes and easily imagine being front row at a live gig. (sans the crowd noise of course. lol)

This is something very characteristic of rharv's work. It drives my monitors also. It has a big "live" sound. In this respect I think we have a ringer in the group. rhave mixes and masters like a pro.
Posted By: retake Re: Put It Out - 10/25/10 06:10 PM
You guys did an outstanding job! I really enjoyed listening.

Steve
Posted By: MarioD Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 12:36 AM
I agree with everything that has been said thus far.

Outstanding work guys – keep it up!
Posted By: tributeman Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 12:00 PM
This type of music doesnt get me jumping up&down but I recognise quality in the performance and the singer has a great voice.It certainly had the live sound but I would have preferred a studio mix.. thats just my preference.cheers Frankie
Posted By: DrDan Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 12:23 PM
Quote:

This type of music doesnt get me jumping up&down but I recognise quality in the performance and the singer has a great voice.It certainly had the live sound but I would have preferred a studio mix.. thats just my preference.cheers Frankie

Frankie, thanks for listening and the nice words, but, the kicker here is this was a studio mix. Well at least the guitar was. Rharv can clarify but I believe non of the tracks were from a live performance. Getting a live sound, from a mix of stuido tracks, is indeed one of the highlights of this piece.
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 12:47 PM
Well, it was suppose to sound like a live jam. At least that was my goal.
Thought it would help give the song some life.

Thanks for lstening and commenting frankie, Mario, and retake.
We had fun.
Posted By: tributeman Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 01:33 PM
what I was trying to say but putting it badly was mixing the song as you would normally mix it without going for a "live sound" effect.I listened to the track through my studio monitors and found the bass right out in front and the drums way in the background and it sounded as if it was a rough mix.but I know this was done to get that live feel but it wasnt to my taste even though many people here had no problem with that type of mix.Frankie
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Put It Out - 10/26/10 08:26 PM
Late to the party here but also wanted to ad my kudos to you guys, this was very well done.
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: Put It Out - 10/27/10 03:30 PM
Definitely a nice sample of live and organical sound! Nobody would guess a computer behind the recording. I think is a honest work, full of human touch, a bit in the realm of "on stage jam" sound which make it even more enjoyable to me. Great guitars (love your mood way here Dan!), voice, drums, bass, moogy synth (cool touch btw!). Up Thumbs to the complete band !! thanks for sharing.

Carlos
Posted By: DrDan Re: Put It Out - 10/27/10 10:34 PM
Quote:

Great guitars (love your mood way here Dan!), .

Carlos

Understand that any favorable comment on my playing contribution is always appreciated (you guys are always the gentlemen ), however, you know how much I respect your playing Carlos, so this simple comment from you is one I appreciate the most.

Perhaps a bit lost in translation (..mood way?), - I interpret this as a "feel" which you heard. I know playing is technique, knowledge and heart. Technique and knowledge can be learned, alas it may take a lifetime, however, "Feel" comes from the heart, and that has to just be there. Your words encourage me. Thank you Maestro.
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: Put It Out - 10/28/10 04:41 PM
Cita:

Great guitars (love your mood way here Dan!), .

Carlos

Understand that any favorable comment on my playing contribution is always appreciated (you guys are always the gentlemen :grin:), however, you know how much I respect your playing Carlos, so this simple comment from you is one I appreciate the most.

Perhaps a bit lost in translation (..mood way?), - I interpret this as a "feel" which you heard. I know playing is technique, knowledge and heart. Technique and knowledge can be learned, alas it may take a lifetime, however, "Feel" comes from the heart, and that has to just be there. Your words encourage me. Thank you Maestro.

Hi Dan, thanks for kind words!. You see, I've been feeling more comfortable with English, therefore at times I try to play with the words in a not so usual way, my mistake. Luckyly I am understood . You are right, what I meant is I liked your feel in the song, the form as a performance reflects a 'state of spirit' , a special mood at a given time. I enjoy your playing and admire your passion for guitar.
Glad to be your friend. My respect Dan.

Carlos
Posted By: Buford Re: Put It Out - 10/30/10 11:48 AM
Great idea, guys. And good work all around. Esp. like Barry's voice quality. You don't find THAT everyday!

Bob
Posted By: mglinert Re: Put It Out - 10/31/10 04:59 PM
Just love the bass playing and lead vox on this one
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 10/31/10 09:43 PM
Thanks guys.

Nothing special on the bass or vocals (except Barry's abilities).
Barry is singing through his fave beat up SM58 and either the Behringer or Yammie mixer pre (probably Behringer as that is his default setup and he rarely changes it).
Bass is my very old Steinberger through a GMX210 guitar amp.

Run what you brung!
We have a lot of fun, usually a couple times a week.
Not sure what Jazzmandan used for guitar, but I think it was a guitarRig3 plugin he used before sending.
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Put It Out - 11/01/10 01:37 AM
Cool tune and nice mix.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Put It Out - 11/01/10 06:46 PM
Pretty cool song. Very nice mix and overall feel. Having a drummer really helps. Good guitar work and other instrumentation, too.

Kevin
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 02/25/17 10:10 AM
www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/putitoutjmd2b.wma

(link fix)
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Put It Out - 02/25/17 12:09 PM
Hi. The link doesn't work for me on my iPhone frown
Posted By: rharv Re: Put It Out - 02/25/17 01:10 PM
It's a WMA file; your iPhone likely needs something installed to play that format (Windows).
OPlayer seems to be a popular one.
© PG Music Forums