PG Music Home
Posted By: toucher Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 12:58 AM
Here is my contribution to the christmas challenge.

http://www.box.net/shared/75qf5hv9de
Posted By: Daisy Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 01:15 AM
Very tasty, Robert -- a finished, balanced song. Smooth.

The only thing I was waiting for was a clue as to why he/she wasn't there... (But maybe I'm just too nosy).

Care to tell us how you played or constructed the tasty fiddle break in the middle?

Daisy
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 01:35 AM
Robert,
Great writing! It was easy to get into the song. I really liked the flow and lyrics. Good job.
Marty
Posted By: Sundance Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 03:40 AM
Hey Touoher,

I really like this and agree with Marty. Nice flow and well written.

I especially liked the way you let us in on things without getting overly specific - our hero went from good to bad - her gift is under the tree but there's nothing there for him. It doesn't feel right but he's decorating anyway and wishing. Great job of painting the scene with the lyrics and music. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: retake Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 02:48 PM
Robert,

Excellent writing! Excellent song! I enjoyed listening to it.

Steve
Posted By: davemilleruk Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 03:53 PM
Hey Robert,
Great stuff buddy, I enjoyed that immensely. Very easy on the ear!
Well done.
Regards,
Dave.
Posted By: toucher Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 04:07 PM
Thanks for the responses y'alll.........

Daisy in regard to your questions, I played the fiddle intro, break and ending on my yamaha keyboard, interfaced thru my edirol UA4FX directly on a Real Band Track. Everything else started out as midi then I substituted realtracks for every track. I did the rough vocal track and decided to leave it so I could post this before Christmas haha. I then used TC harmonizer for the backing vocals.

I can only assume that she wasn't there because the dude spent too much time on BIAB instead of with her

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Rob
Posted By: Daisy Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/02/10 05:38 PM
Great, thanks for the clarification, Robert.

It's important because you made the fiddle sound real, and the harmonies as well. Much better use of the TC option than we usually get, which tends to sound canned. I thought the harmonies were being sung.

Daisy
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/05/10 06:33 PM
What a movie opening! I'm picturing camera creeping in on an isolated diner/service station, light snow falling, night's settled in, a couple of cars parked outside, slow zoom into a picture window ringed with multi-colored lights to a closeup on a Christmas tree in the corner . . . .

Great tune and production, Robert. I love the "open" feel of the mix, every instrument has its sonic space - your voice is beautifully relaxed. What vocal mic did you use?

Merry Christmas.
Ian
Posted By: toucher Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/06/10 05:59 PM
Thanks for the input Ian, it was a fun song to play with. I used an MXL 990 condenser mic, on a shock mount. It's a relative cheapie that you can get at Musicians Friend.

Rob
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/07/10 12:19 AM
Toucher,

Very nice job in every category, writing, arranging, mixing and performance.

Congratulations on a job well done . . . You should be very proud of this one.

Later,
Posted By: toucher Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/07/10 06:01 AM
Hey thanks Danny, I appreciate the listen and the compliments. I don't get here as often as I used to but when I have the time, it's a great place to be.

God Bless

Rob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/09/10 09:14 PM
Quote:

Toucher,

Very nice job in every category, writing, arranging, mixing and performance.

Congratulations on a job well done . . . You should be very proud of this one.

Later,

I agree 100%.

Great job!
Posted By: toucher Re: Christmas Won't Be Christmas - 12/09/10 09:49 PM
Thanks Mario, input is always appreciated. I used a rough cut vocal, but it was close and I was running out of time due to other demands. Your stuff is always inspiring.

Rob
© PG Music Forums