PG Music Home
Posted By: Marty Wittmann In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/08/10 08:51 PM
Hello Friends,
I have just finished a new song, In The Springtime Of Our Love. As usual, all the backing tracks are BIAB R/T and I am doing the vocals and lead guitar.

This tune leans more to the pop side. The style used is Baladr EV16 RockBallard. I dropped the dreamy guitar and added electric piano # 910. The tempo is 65bpm.

All comments are welcomed and I hope you enjoy.
Marty

In The Springtime Of Our Love
Posted By: rsdean Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 01:48 AM
Marty, I really enjoyed this. To my ears it has a real John Denver vibe to it - very nice. Great job!

Bob
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 03:33 AM
Another great one Marty. Nice vibe this one has. Nice vocals- harmony. Mix is happening. Great song!

Dan
Posted By: dcuny Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 07:32 AM
The melody has a very melancholy feel to it, which made it hard for me to connect to the upbeat lyrics. My loss.

The introduction seems to lack something. The song doesn't really have any hooks, and it's too early to bring the lead guitar in, so I don't really have any suggestions. It just seems a bit barren.

As for everything else - excellent work. I especially loved the guitar solo.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 10:01 AM
Hi Marty,

I really, really liked this song. To my ears, the harmony made the song sound like it was neither 100% major nor 100% minor. It felt like the song's tonal center was floating on a gentle river of music. I loved it. Coupling such harmony with the haunting melody at an easy tempo resulted in a song that I found reflective and thoughtful. The words and the music were like hand and glove. It worked beautifully for me. There's nothing I'd change.

As usual, your ability to write songs, sing them, harmonize them and mix them is outstanding. I have to say that you are amazingly versatile and consistent with all you do.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: tributeman Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 12:16 PM
Quote:

The melody has a very melancholy feel to it, which made it hard for me to connect to the upbeat lyrics. My loss.

The introduction seems to lack something. The song doesn't really have any hooks, and it's too early to bring the lead guitar in, so I don't really have any suggestions. It just seems a bit barren.

As for everything else - excellent work. I especially loved the guitar solo.

Dont normally disagree with you Dc but saying "the song didnt have any hooks"...The hook is "In the Springtime of our love" unless the word hook is different in the US than in the UK.The hook as far as Im concerned is what you nearly always sing after listening to a song.I liked this song and wasnt put of by the minor chords in relation to the lyric.Though I loved the guitar solo I felt that to give it some extra lift maybe some quite solid guitar rhythm should have played alongside it otherwise a good listen.Frankie
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone for listening. I really appreciate every ones input. Each comment gives food for thought from a diverse group of listeners. It makes me feel appreciated when others take their valuable time to hear what has been created.

I have just ordered the latest BIAB (2011) and can't wait to get it installed. Is anyone using it yet?
Marty
Posted By: dcuny Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 04:52 PM
Quote:

...but saying "the song didnt have any hooks"...The hook is "In the Springtime of our love"

You're right, I'm wrong here. I was thinking in terms of not hearing any obvious instrumental hooks that could be used to lead into the first verse.

And in case I wasn't clear - the lyrics might not have moved me, but the craftsmanship behind the song certainly did.
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 05:30 PM
Hello Dave,
You are right about the instrumental hook. I really never thought of an "instrumental hook" when arranging my songs. I will approach that idea in my next writings. As I think of some cover tunes that have been written, notable instrument and vocal hooks are employed.
Thanks,
Marty
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 06:05 PM
It is very difficult to include musical hooks with only real tracks. You have to search through all the phrases that are there and see if any of them can work. Sometimes you have to literally piece them together to make the hook. And sometimes it's sheer luck if there's something strong enough there at all. I would suggest playing a musical hook yourself on the guitar and supporting it with real tracks. Often times a musical hook for intros, out-tros, and in between verses invlove the melody structure of the vocal hook, in this case- the melody of the line spring time of our love. But every rule is made to be broken and in this case, the strum guitar leading into the drum fill for the intro works. Nice job Marty.

Dan
Posted By: MarioD Re: In The Springtime Of Our Love - 12/09/10 09:01 PM
Marty, it’s all been said. I really liked the vocals and your lead guitar, great job. The mix was outstanding as well.

Super song.
© PG Music Forums