PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Snyder Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 12/19/10 05:49 AM
This is a song I did using RealTracks/RealDrums and the AKAI EWI USB with the Garritan Jazz Tenor.

Tenor Trials
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 12/21/10 01:47 AM
Loved it!

You have that EWI USB down pat! That is the best Garritan Tenor I’ve ever heard! Super job.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Jim Snyder Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 12/21/10 08:58 AM
Thanks for listening. I had a lot of fun making it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 12/21/10 06:24 PM
Very nice!

Now you've got me lusting after more toys I'll never have the skill to use...
Posted By: Jim Snyder Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/07/11 01:59 AM
Thanks for the comment dcuny!

It is easier than you might think. The Aria player and the Garritan sounds that come with it are really first rate and well programmed for the EWI. It takes a bit of practice, but I have gotten good at sax, trumpets (horns), flute, clarinet, and even .... violin. I played a 5:25 minute piece with no rests using circular breathing with the EWI, and it was surprisingly easy to learn (took about 3 weeks).

Anyways, think of it this way, you can learn violin or sax while using headphones... your friends will love you for it :-)

Jim
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/07/11 03:21 AM
Nice job Jim!
Nice to see another another wind controller player here.
I'm curious about which style that is?

Mick
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/07/11 03:49 AM
Yes, I would like to know which RealTracks were used, and which RealDrum style.
Posted By: Jim Snyder Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/07/11 04:54 AM
Hi Mick and Matt,

Thanks for listening. The real tracks/drums used were:

RD: SMOOTHJAZZCOOLSW16^1-XSTHHT,SNRD :
~902: Bass, Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 075, Vernon Barbary
~904: Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothCool Sw16 075, Jeff Lorber

I mixed the tracks in Sonar where each instrument track had its own reverb settings and the drums went through a bit of compression to get that "close in" feel. The mix settings had a big impact on the feel of the tracks.

Quote:

Yes, I would like to know which RealTracks were used, and which RealDrum style.

Posted By: Steve Young Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/08/11 11:16 PM
Jim,

Very, very nice work here! Nice relaxing song, very well executed. I agree with Mario, the tenor sounds very realistic. And a good mix to boot!

I'm impressed.

Steve
Wow amazingly good sound ,love the clear sound,makes yer tingle,best wishes Brian
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/11/11 03:10 PM
Soft on the ear. Nice arrangement. Is this an original? Love the horn runs!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Jim Snyder Re: Tenor Trials - New Song Using RT/RD - 04/11/11 05:28 PM
Thanks Pg,

This is a fairly standard chord progression, but the Sax melody/runs are all original. So in some sense it is an original tune.

I was really surprised how nicely the Sax mixed in with the RT/RD with just a touch of Reverb and Drum Compression to get a nice mix out of this. Also, the EWI USB with the Garritan sounds are nice matchup. This was all played without any MIDI editing.

Jim
© PG Music Forums