PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 04:54 AM
Hi all,

I just wrote another new song called Distant Thunder, and thought I would share it with you. All the instrumentation is RT/RD. Hope you like it.

Distant Thunder

I hope you all had a very Blessed Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Steve
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 02:00 PM
Quote:

Hi all,

I just wrote another new song called Distant Thunder, and thought I would share it with you. All the instrumentation is RT/RD. Hope you like it.

Distant Thunder

I hope you all had a very Blessed Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Steve

Hi Steve, I really enjoyed this song and you have done an exellent job with the story and music.

Bless you and Happy New Years
Brian
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 06:39 PM
Thanks Brian! Glad you liked it. Blessings to you as well!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 07:19 PM
Very nice production and vocal. Overall excellent work!

My Music
Read My Blog
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 08:20 PM
Quote:

Very nice production and vocal. Overall excellent work!

Thanks Robert! Have a blessed New Year!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 12/31/10 11:24 PM
Hi Steve,

Great singing, great production, great arrangement! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your song. It's got a terrific vibe. What realtracks did use? I haven't stumbled across these ones yet!

Happy 2011,
Noel
Posted By: toucher Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 12:58 AM
Nice arrangement,

Good job overall..........

Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 02:51 AM
This is great work! I would have liked to hear it lift to a definitive chorus and even a bridge, but it sounds good and the vocal is great. Keep up the good work- I think you have some serious potential- most especially in that vocal. Very good vocal.

Dan
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 03:10 AM
The only question I have is “why aren’t you signed yet”?

This is fantastic! Great vox and backing tracks.

Well done!
Posted By: mglinert Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 11:10 AM
Nice fresh feel to this one with that acoustic rthm gtr.

In response to DAn's post, I quite like the way the piece builds organically without any firm chorus/bridge in the structure - a bit U2 like. But I agree with Dan there is some pretty serious potential here!
Posted By: Jan Romanoff Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 03:24 PM

Steve

I really like your songs. Excellent vocal, mixing and mastering.

Could you elaborate a little on which styles you have used, I believe you have blended different styles and instruments - I do hear the new "Celtic" style.

Thanks for sharing

Jan
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 05:20 PM
Thanks for your kind words, Noel!

Quote:

What realtracks did use? I haven't stumbled across these ones yet!

I used...
1190-Bass, Modern R&B Rock
Drums-Smooth Jazz Poppy (I think the drums with the droning Celtic guitar are what really set the tone for the song. I liked the "clean" feel this new RD gives.)
1304-Guitar Acoustic, Celtic Reel
680-Guitar Electric, Rock Brit Soulful
832-Guitar Electric, Alt Country Moody
1263-Piano Pop Shining Sync
686-Organ Pop
and throw in a little 669-Slide Guitar Easy Southern

Thanks again, and hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 05:24 PM
Thanks Toucher! I appreciate the encouraging words!

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 05:30 PM
Dan & Marc,

Thanks guys for your input, and all the kind words!

I thought about building the song more with chorus/bridge, etc. But in the end decided against it so as not to lose the focus of the song. Also, I kind of would rather have you asking for a little bit more, than have you wishing it had less.

Thanks again!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 05:33 PM
Thanks Mario! You are too kind! (But if you know anybody interested in signing me...)

Hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 05:42 PM
Jan, thanks so much!

In my reply to Noel, i listed the RT/RD instruments I used.

I generally don't pay as much attention to the style (NOT that the style is not important), since I pretty much only use RT/RD.

When I arrange a song, I spend a lot of time playing around with different groupings of instruments until I find the right cohesive blend that I am looking for. I try not to limit myself by preconceived ideas of what one instrument might sound like with another (unless I just really know up front). Sometimes you can come up with some pretty delightful combinations.

Anyway, with all the new RT/RD available to us, it's a pretty exciting world for us songwriters these days!

Hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 08:54 PM
Quote:

Dan & Marc,

Thanks guys for your input, and all the kind words!

I thought about building the song more with chorus/bridge, etc. But in the end decided against it so as not to lose the focus of the song. Also, I kind of would rather have you asking for a little bit more, than have you wishing it had less.

That's ok too Steve. If this is the way you want the song to be, then that's the way it will be and it's a nice tune regardless. It's a good sounding track with a better than average vocal- much better. Put it this way; in cold hard terms of scouting, I'd say the song- forget it. The singer- GET HIM. That's the kind of vocal you have there Steve. Just know that is your strength at the moment and it's a big one. In case you didn't know or didn't fully appreciate that fact, I'm here to tell you and I know what I'm talking about. The strength of your vocal alone can open up doors for you if you try. Match up your song writing ability to that vocal and it's just cream on the cake. No one says you must be a fantastic song writer. And I'll let you in on a secret- with that vocal you don't need to be. People who can't sing all too well or just don't have that certain something BETTER be a good song writer. People who have your vocal potential don't need to write anything. Just hand them good songs. That's what I'm getting at. My advice- persue recording work. You could be a demo singer in Nashville at least, and an artist at most. I kid you not.

Far as song writing, this particular song needs more writing to make it bloom. You can keep the focus of the song and have it branch out to chorus/bridge too. Doing so is strength in song writing. Not doing so is not realizing full potential of the song, and not helping your song writing potential. I've said many times to myself through the years- this song of mine is done, can't imagine anything more, the focus is solid, but with a wee little reservation of those feelings. Know what? Every time I was wrong. When I have even the slightest of question, I know that I truly realize something isn't quite right. When I finish a song and I have no more question about content and form, it's done and it's right. And that happens, oh, 50% of the time. That percentage grows though,like building muscles. It does so the more you write and the stronger you get at it. So call this one done. But next one, push yourself more. The listener and the powers that be don't want to be left wanting more from a song. They want to be completely fulfilled within that 3 to 4 minutes and then if they want more they can replay it. Not an easy task for any of us, but we keep on trying, right?!

I've gone against my descion to just say 'nice song' and that's it, with my post here. I generally get flammed for saying much more. But flames be damned- you deserve the attention. Ya got skills Steve. Looking forward to hearing much more from you!

Dan
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/01/11 09:40 PM
Steve, great song and awesome vocal! Great job!

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/02/11 02:45 AM
Hi Steve,
Cool arrangement. Excellent use of RT's, mixing, and sound. Your voice has a wonderful tone and a youthful vitality that I really like. Your mic and mixing technique capture it so well - sweet. Altho this song doesn't move me as much as some of the songs on your cd. (Which imho you should link to in your sig. ) I enjoyed the listen very much. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/02/11 06:08 AM
Dan, thanks again for your input! I appreciate your honesty. Constructive criticism is always a good thing, so you don't ever need to feel bad about that. Right now I am pretty satisfied with the song, but if any more inspiration comes (or perspiration), I will gladly make changes. I also don't expect every song I write will be a Grammy winner. But I do get a great deal of joy from the creative gift God has given us! And I do think that is what it is really all about. That is not, however, to say that I am lazy about my craft. I do work at it, and will continue as long as I am able.

Again, I do appreciate your kind words, as well as your words of wisdom.

Hope you have a blessed day!

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/02/11 06:09 AM
Thanks so much, Bob!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/02/11 06:15 AM
Hi Josie!

Thanks so much for your input! I (finally) got around to creating a signature, thanks to your kind (and h ) suggestion.

I particularly like your comment about "youthful vitality" in my voice! At my age, I always appreciate any reference to youthfulness!

Hope you have a very blessed day!

Steve
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/02/11 06:30 PM
Great voice! I enjoyed the melody. Good vibe and choice of tracks. Nice mix.

I didn't mind the structure of the song -- no need for cookie cutters if the song doesn't need it.

Now keep in mind that every listener brings something of themselves to each song, but I was a little confused about the metaphor. Distant thunder to me has an ominous sound (part of my brain was expecting G. Brooks "Thunder Rolls") that conflicts with the pep of the track. Was your Distant Thunder a positive force? It seemed to be.

Just my unqualified nit.

Anyway, nice work. Keep writing!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Song - Distant Thunder - 01/03/11 01:08 AM
Steve,

I just got to your song and happy I did. For starters I agree with someone before me who commented on your nice work with realtracs as you really blended them nicely. Besides that I really ejoyed both the lyric and performance.

Nice work man!
© PG Music Forums