PG Music Home
Posted By: Powderman An Angel In The Sky - 01/02/11 04:11 PM
Have not put anything together for a while - but pulled this one out of the bin and put some real tracks to it.

used ALLISF.sty Fast Ctry Bal w Fiddle

ran my Seagull through a vibrato box for the chorus - recorded in Real Tracks - 1st time I have ever used it to record - then moved it all to Sonar

threw in a little midi for a choir effect on the outro

The end gets a little cluttered - I will go back to it later. This was more of a practice project.

An Angel In The Sky
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/02/11 06:04 PM
Interesting Gordon Lightheart vibe here, including the fade out at the end. I would mix the violin a little further back during the verses. Your vocals sounded honest and on key but I would embellish the melody some.

Keep Writing!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/02/11 08:00 PM
Hi Powderman,

Nice to see you have another song for us.

I agree with Robb, this song definitely has a Gordon Lightfoot feel about it. Nice! I'm listening to the mix on my headphones at the moment and I really like the sound and the clarity-of-mix that I'm hearing. As I listened, I found myself thinking, "I wonder how the mix would sound if the vocals were, say, 0.5 - 1.0 dB louder?". That being said, though, your singing is clear, and each lyric is very easily understood. I'm a huge fan of your voice!

I'd be a happy man if my "practice projects" sounded this good!

Happy New Year!
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/03/11 01:38 AM
Hi Powderman,
I was listening to this to hear what happened next and almost burned my dinner LOL. So I came back to give it a proper listen without worry of setting the house on fire.

FWIW, I'm listening through headphones and during the first verse here the lead vox seemed only present panned left and right. As the song progressed the center lead vox was more audible.

This is my fav song of yours so far. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: rsdean Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/03/11 03:05 AM
Powderman, really nice. I do hear a hint of Lightfoot in your sound and it really suits you. Excellent job!

Bob
Posted By: Powderman Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/03/11 12:10 PM
Robb,
- I had been thinking the fiddle was fighting with some things and had started to play around with its placement - I surely appreciate your thoughts - kinda confirmed what I had been thinking.

Noel,
- thanks for listening. It is sometimes hard to make a decision on the vox - especially when it's your own voice - it's on my list.

Josie,
- hope I did not cause any culinary disasters. Upon listening closer - I think I hear what you are talking about - I went back and watched the meters - it looks pretty balanced that way - but I think it may be something with a compressor setting - thanks for the thoughts.

Bob
- I use to listen to a lot of Lightfoot - but must say I have not for years - ' guess I'll have to pull some up for a listen. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: MarioD Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/04/11 12:47 AM
If this is a practice project you don’t need to practice much anymore!

I liked the words and the chord progression. Of course I’ve always liked your voice. Like Robb I would put the fiddle a little farther in the background when you are singing. Plus I heard what Josie did regarding your vox. However even if you did nothing else to this song it still would be a very good song.

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Powderman Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/05/11 08:41 PM
Mario,

Thanks for the thoughts - always appreciated.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/11/11 11:49 AM
Reminds me of Lightfoot as well. Nice mix, great vocal. thanks for sharing!

My Music
Read My Blog

[url=http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttaylor4christ]My Reverbnation
Posted By: Powderman Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/13/11 12:07 PM
Robert

Thanks for listening - I have always liked Lightfoot - but had not listened to him for years until a couple of these posts pointed to him, so I searched out some of his tunes again. Not sure if I hear any similarity - but one hears oneself differently than others.

' Appreciate the listen
Posted By: Steve Young Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/15/11 04:09 AM
Powderman,

Nice song. Good job on the mix. I agree that the melody could use some embellishing. But nevertheless, it sounds good!

Steve
Posted By: Powderman Re: An Angel In The Sky - 01/16/11 10:32 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the comments.
© PG Music Forums