PG Music Home
Posted By: George Nelson Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 12:33 PM
Hi All,

I wrote a song some time back and would like to let you hear it.

listen here:
Stay With Me

Now I would like you to listen to another version of the same song.
This one is done by Richard Child:(Richard called me and asked if he could do his version)
Stay A While

Just thought I would let you hear how a song can change for the better.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: rsdean Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 05:31 PM
I like them both - I prefer "Stay A While". This version has a great light feel - very Everly Brothers - really nice job.

Bob
Posted By: tributeman Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 06:46 PM
nice tunes George.I agree with Bob I prefer "Stay A While" it had a nice feel and you have really done an excellent job with biab Frankie
Posted By: Sundance Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 07:52 PM
Good sound Michee. (Walk With Me with you singing is still my fav tho. )
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 09:59 PM
Hi Bob,

Quote:

I like them both - I prefer "Stay A While".

So Do I

Thanks for taking a listen.

Regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 10:01 PM
Hi Frankie,

Isn't it funny how a song you write can have more than one life?

Regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/09/11 10:02 PM
Gee Josie,

I'm all blushing now

Thanks for that.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 01:09 AM
Hi Michee,

I really like these songs. In my opinion, they're your best yet! Both versions are really well put together. The fact that it's possible to make two really convincing arrangements of this song is a testament to the high quality of your songwriting.

Which is better? That's tough one for me. I like both. Richard's "gentler" backing appeals more to me because it's more akin to styles that I use. I'd love to be able to sing like him.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 02:22 AM
Interesting comparison. I'd consider it an honor if someone else wanted to do their own version of my song. That is a compliment of its own. Congrats!
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 03:43 AM
Great song.

One version is rockin, the other is easy listening with harmonies. I like the second take on this one and it's interesting why, for me. Simply put, the mastering, or lack thereof. The original version is so loud and blaring that it completely hides the good song that this is. The lyrics and melody are in there but they are overpowered by arrangement and crushingly loud mastering, to which I assume is a home grown attempt with something like T-Racks. And what happens? A very good song is hidden under it all. Food for thought- always service the SONG- not the music. It's not that Stay a while is easy listening or whether or not I prefer that. It's just that with more sensibilities for the song when the arrangement and vocals were put together, the song rose to the top. If you re-mastered the original version and perhaps mixed it a little different for starters, that version could be a great one too. I don't mean to offend with my comments. Bottom line, the song is excellent and a perfectly viable commercial hit- tell you the truth, whether you intended to create one or not. I'd only suggest that when assembling a track, keep your ears on the big picture.

A+. Fantastic work.

Dan
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 10:13 AM
Hi Noel,

Even the fact that I wrote the song I have to admit that I prefer Richards version.

Just goes to show that a song can have many lives.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 10:14 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the nice comments and for taking a listen.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/10/11 10:18 AM
Hi Dan,

I agree that the 1st version i.e. my one, is too much in your face.
But that is how I heard it at the time of writing the song.

I much prefer the laid back version (and Richard has a great singing voice)

Thanks for the positive comments and for taking a listen.

Best regards
Michee
Posted By: dcuny Re: Hear the Difference - 01/11/11 02:15 AM
The second version is clearly a lot more polished - nice work! But I miss the energy in the vocals that you did. It makes Richard's version seem a bit too laid back in comparison.

Plus, the first has an excellent guitar solo - always something to consider!
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Hear the Difference - 01/11/11 08:59 AM
Hi David,

The purpose of posting both song versions was to show how one song can have different versions.

Why I like the second version is that I had no input (other than writing the song) into how it would turn out.
It's always nice when someone else decides that your song is worth the effort to compile a version.

Just showing what can be done in Band-In-A Box

Thanks for your input David.

Best regards
Michee
© PG Music Forums