PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - Of All The Things - 01/31/11 04:56 PM
Hi Everyone!

Since Valentines Day is approaching, I thought I would write another sappy love song! I have marvelous inspiration in my wife of almost 35 years. I just got a Mac computer so this is my first "learning" experience with a new OS and Logic Express (I have always used Sonar/PC). Anyway, I hope you like the song!

Of All The Things

All the instrument are RT/RD, except I added the strings (virtual string section that came with Logic)

Here's the breakdown...
Bass: #1190-Modern RnB Rock
Drums: Raggae Classic (#3)
Organ: #1155-Organ B3 Rhythm Reggae EV16
Guitar: #1072-Electric Rhythm Smooth Jazz Ballad EV16
Guitar: #365-Acoustic Fingerpicking EV
Guitar: #833-Electric Rhythm AltCountryMoody EV
Guitar: #542-Electric Rhythm Dreamy EV
Guitar Solo: #576-Electric Soloist Blues BB EV

Steve
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 01/31/11 05:09 PM
Hi Steve,
I enjoyed listening to this.
Nicely done & quite tasty.

Mick
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 01/31/11 06:09 PM
Nice song Steve, with some nice changes. Your voice is superb. I enjoyed this.
A nitpick would be the kick drum which sounds far too light for some reason. It doesn't seem to match the rest of the kit which sounds ok. Add a bit of bottom EQ on the drum track maybe? I couldn't hear the strings you mentioned? I was expecting them to make their presence felt in a big way in the last choruses.

John
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 01/31/11 10:17 PM
Hey Steve, very nice song - great job on your new Mac!

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/01/11 12:00 AM
Hi, Steve.

Most importantly, I liked the song. Nice vocals and lyrics.

But - and I hate to say this (because I like your stuff) - the arrangement didn't hold together well for me.

Part of the problem is the drum - there were too many times when the kick didn't work. I really liked the idea, though.

The instruments were too quiet, made the processing on your vocals feel out of place. I just don't think everything "clicked".

But I really liked what I heard you trying to do.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/01/11 02:37 AM
I have to tell you Steve- this is absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't change a single thing. Not one thing. Right on man. Super great job and I mean that. I also think you should be ready for lots of huggin and'a kissin cause this one is gonna get the wifey goin....and I really mean that too! LOL!

A+ my friend.

Dan
Posted By: jon47 Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/01/11 11:22 AM
Thanks for giving me insperation to write a song for my baby daughter.
Are all the instruments from band in a box. (except vocals and strings)
Wow that is amazing!
A few years ago I used the program from worship songs we sang on a evening. I would play acoustic guitar with them to give a more real sound. But I see and hear the new real traxs sound really great.

Best regards
Jon
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/01/11 09:28 PM
David,

Good call, my friend! Coincidentally, after I had uploaded the song, I listened to it again, and redid the arrangement, changing the drums and organ, and tweaking a couple things here and there. I was out most of the day, and just uploaded the new arrangement, and just caught your review. I guess great minds think alike! Anyway, if you will give it another listen, I have made some changes.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/01/11 09:38 PM
Mick,

Thanks so much! I truly appreciate the listen. I just uploaded a new arrangement of the song. I wasn't fully satisfied with the way the bass and drums interacted with the arrangement, or with the organ sound, so I made some changes. Hopefully for the better! The foundation of the song is the same, though. And the feelings behind the song haven't changed, either!

John,

Thanks for the input. If you will give it another listen, as noted above, I have made some changes.

Bob,

Thanks for the listen. I am enjoying my new Mac! It's a learning progress for this old dog to pick up on all the power of Logic, but I am having fun.

Dan,

Thanks so much! I am glad you like the song just as I did it. I thought it was okay, but was never fully satisfied. So as noted above, made some changes. I hope you like it.

Jon,

Thank you very much! Nothing like the people we love, to give us inspiration to write! Go for it! I know your daughter will be blessed to hear it. And yes, Band In A Box is an awesome tool, especially with the new RT/RD's!

I hope all of you have a very blessed day!!!

Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 02:30 AM
I listened- it's good but I prefered the first one. Now everything is kind of numbed out. As far as instruments go in an arrangement, if nothing makes a statement, there is nothing to grab onto. The original version had something good going for it. Yeah, maybe there were a couple of misplaced drum hits or fills, but it had a charm- and that stuff could have been adjusted. With that groove wiped out, it all just kinda lays there. This is a prime example of how sometimes we're so close to an arrangement we can't get it ourselves. A good producer needs to guide the way. And sometimes following even well meaning suggestions leads to a wrong turn. Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful track. I like it a bunch. But it had a certain bounce- a certain something that's been numbed out now, rythmically speaking. The feeling and delivery of the vocal is great and in the end, that's the most important part really. Really nice job and song. I don't think there's a better gift than a special song like this to give to loved ones. Good for you Steve.

Dan
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 03:08 AM
I like the changes!

The only thing that I'd suggest changing would be the guitar solo - I think it's too far back in the mix.

I hear where Dan is coming from, though. I forget where I'd read someone's comment that with a good mix, you're going to make someone unhappy, because it's going to have a specific viewpoint.

But it's your song... The one that really matters here is your wife.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 03:17 AM
Dan,

Thanks again for your input! I guess that's why we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream...everybody has their own favorite - but it's all still ice cream! Who knows, maybe I should release both versions, and sell twice as many copies! Seriosly though, I had already made the changes before reading any of your comments. I do like both versions, but I just wasn't totally satisfied with the drum part on the first version. I was looking for a little more intimate feel, and with the new drum part it gives a little more breathing room to have a big buildup at the end. Just my thoughts, but I can see your point as well.

David,

Glad you like the changes. This is not a "final mix" anyway, so I am sure the solo will be addressed when that is done.

By the way, I have seen both of you guys pictures, and Rachel (my wife) is much prettier, so her opinion really is the only one that counts here!

Thanks again!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 03:39 AM
*Sniff*

I thought I was the pretty one...
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 01:05 PM
Steve, I think this version is better, especially now the strings are up there! We all have different perceptions, likes, etc. as you point out, the main thing is this is a cracking piece of work delivered with total sincerity and it hits the spot.

John
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/02/11 11:27 PM
Sorry David. Maybe if you shave...

John,

Glad you like the changes. One of the things I love about good music is that it communicate on so many different levels. One performer may interpret a song totally different from another, and both have astonishing results. Thanks again for giving your time to listen, and I truly appreciate you (and everyone's) input.

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/03/11 06:58 AM
Hi Steve,

This song iss what my mother would smile and call "a really, really good listen". You've certainly got a wonderful knack for getting the most out of BIAB/RB/RTs.

I thoroughly enjoy your music.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: toucher Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/03/11 02:44 PM
I enjoyed that very much. I thought the mix was pretty close to perfect for my ears. Nice arrangement and feel.

Great Job

Rob
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/05/11 03:20 AM
Very nice song! Excellent production! Thanks for sharing!

What He Did For Me

Roberts FAWM
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: New Song - Of All The Things - 02/05/11 03:32 PM
Great song and production Steve! minimal details lack importance next to the principal fact, the love of a beautiful wife. Well done. Thumbs UP !

Carlos
© PG Music Forums