PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Lamented Sadness by MarioD - 03/22/11 01:53 PM
Lamented Sadness is a song I wrote so I could practice my wind controller.

This is my first wind controller song that I was able to play all the way through without any punch-in or punch-outs. It is also the first one that had very limited midi editing. I’m slowly learning this beast.

This started in BiaB with the Karma-New Age Smooth Jazz midi style and was morphed into this.

I hope you like it for what it is.

As always constructive criticism is welcomed.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Lamented Sadness by MarioD - 03/22/11 03:44 PM
MarioD,

This is FIRST CLASS! Well done! Very well arranged. And very well produced. You are definitely coming along nicely on your wind controller!

Steve
Posted By: Brian Scarratt Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/22/11 07:01 PM
Hi MarioD i thought your song was beautiful,i love drifting sounds that stir up emotions and a sadness that creeps up on you and has you trying to control ones inner feelings ,in my opinion ,this beautiful tune is excellent ,my very best wishes Brian.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/23/11 01:04 PM
Steve and Brian, Thank you very much for listening and the extremely kind reviews.
Posted By: gibson Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/23/11 02:36 PM
I am listening to this sitting out in the sun, looking at a wonderful blue sky. PERFECT.All I need now is a view of the clear blue sea
Very relaxing.
Wish I had such good control over my wind
Posted By: Skyline Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/23/11 03:45 PM
You know I'm a staunch fan of yours Mario, and this was another excellent piece. Memorable, well executed. Nothing else to add; just playing it for the third time...
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/24/11 01:30 AM
This is really beautiful. Very well done Mario. The only thing I would suggest is to bring the guitar up and center it more. I'm guessing that's you playing. There's room in this landscape you created here to make your guitar part more precious- more prominent, more center stage, and perhaps more effect such as maybe a ping pong delay to really open up the ears. At the moment, the arrangement is lush but the guitar part is a bit anemic sounding. The notes are fine- the part is fine. Give it a sailing life within the lush lanscape and it will be a very strong feature. Not blasting loud- I don't mean that. Just...give it special life, if you follow. Figures right, I pick up on the guitar and you killed yourself on the wind controller part! LOL! Yes, it sounds very nice too. But the importance of it to you may have taken up a lot of your ears at mix time. Don't forget the love to the supporting role- the guitar too.

Really nice movement!

Dan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/24/11 01:10 PM
Thanx for listening and the words of encouragement.

Gibson – this is the only “wind” instrument that I have midi control over

Skyline – that’s for the HUGH compliments.

Dan – Yep that is I on the geetar. Thanx for the suggestions and as time permits I will try them. You re right in that I did concentrate on the wind controller and just threw everything else together.
Posted By: Paul Young Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/24/11 02:56 PM
Hi Mario,
Being a newby to the forum I stumbled across your song last night and was blown away.
Hauntingly beautiful...I've been dabbling in music production for a few years and when I
heard the song I couldn't resist downloading it and having a play.
About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players...I hope that makes sense!.
I also added a tiny bit of reverb and bottom end EQ to bring out that beautiful bass.I must stress at this point that my playing around is not in any way a reflection on your musicality or production skills, they speak for themselves, however it is just one persons interpretation using the software that is available out there to enhance the music. I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended and I look forward to more inspirational music from your pen.
If you would like to hear the results contact me at paulyoung at dodo dot com dot au and I will Email the MP3 to you.

Best regards,

Paul.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/24/11 07:12 PM
Quote:

Hi Mario,
Being a newby to the forum I stumbled across your song last night and was blown away.
Hauntingly beautiful...I've been dabbling in music production for a few years and when I
heard the song I couldn't resist downloading it and having a play.
About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players...I hope that makes sense!.
I also added a tiny bit of reverb and bottom end EQ to bring out that beautiful bass.I must stress at this point that my playing around is not in any way a reflection on your musicality or production skills, they speak for themselves, however it is just one persons interpretation using the software that is available out there to enhance the music. I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended and I look forward to more inspirational music from your pen.
If you would like to hear the results contact me at paulyoung at dodo dot com dot au and I will Email the MP3 to you.

Best regards,

Paul.

Thanx Paul for the outstanding review.

I’d love to hear what you have done with this and I’m sure many others here would like that as well. Why not just upload it so we can all here it?
I have no problem with that.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 11:35 AM
Mario, just beautiful. Really great job on this.

Bob
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 01:46 PM
Downloading Lamented Sadness (this is like called a double entendre)...really catches the "windmills of your mind"....it's a ten minute download on broadband here in Florida...
but I know it'll be worth the wait!!
I was playing one of your other gems that I had downloaded long ago, to try out the capabilities of that WAVEMAX SOUND EDITOR...that I gave people a heads up on...because it was a giveaway of the day offering, and I used it to "perform" some editing...to see how "neat" it could be to work with.

<snip> Please read rule 7: "No" advertising </snip>

Alright...your wave came out with "flying colors"...frequency analyzer, excellent range...I added a bit of phaser effect for a few of the ending measures...
and...
VOILA!!!
Another genius recording...I also use my lil yamaha B-1A on my Yamaha CS6X keyboard...

See you in Key West, someday....we'll set you up at the new Mario's Hilton Jazz Club!!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 03:23 PM
Beautiful Song very methodical. Expertly put together. Thanks for sharing this fine work!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Paul Young Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 03:32 PM
Hi Mario,
Here is a link to your song...hope you like it

Regards,

Paul

http://soundcloud.com/yo-5/lamented-sadness-2
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 05:49 PM
That's a very cool sight
I just signed up and it's got a good forum going...
Who was that artist doing Matilda...you???? Excellent!!!
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/25/11 07:34 PM
"About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players"

I listened. Ok at first, but it did something weird to the positioning- pushing the lead instrument back. Sounded more like a room effect. That plug could possibly be more effective mixing into it, rather than applying it to a stereo mix after the fact. But more verb in general sounded good, although overall- the original sounded better compared, to me. But the original could use some specific ambiance treatment as well.

Dan
Posted By: Paul Young Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/26/11 02:44 AM
Hi Dan,
You are are right on the money re CLAS. It is specifically designed to be used right from
the start of a project (post)and once every track is recorded it completely changes the way you
approach the final mix down. I've also noticed that when it is applied to the mix sent to the
performer's headphones, while doing a take, it seems to inspire their performance... I
know that is subjective, however it is just an observation. Regarding Mario's song, I didn't set
out to do a remaster, only to show the possibilities of a great song and I totally agree with your comments.
You may have noticed some songs on the web site where I posted Mario's song. CLAS was an integral part
of all of them and I am very happy with the results. I suspect that major studio's around the world
have known about CLAS for some time however, they have kept a lid on it for commercial reasons...again,just
an observation.

Regards,

Paul
Posted By: Paul Young Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/26/11 03:30 AM
Hi GDaddy,

No it isn't me singing, however, if I thought an operation would help me sing like her, I
would be fist in line!!. Her name is Norma Kelly (full blown Irish) and she has been singing
country around the traps here in Perth for some 25 years. She has won numerous awards from
the Australian music industry for her performances and is now semi retired. What we are doing
together musically is all about fun for both of us. She has always wanted to step outside
her musical comfort zone hence songs like Matilda and Misty etc. In all but one of the songs we have
done so far the vocal was done and dusted in one take. She never rehearses a song prior to recording
and simply trusts her instincts at the time in fact in years gone by she was know around the local
recording studio's as "One Take Norma" and they all loved her because she saved them so much time
and money. I'm looking forward to many years of musical fun with her in the future..sometimes the dice
falls in your favor.

Regards,

Paul
Posted By: tributeman Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/26/11 01:17 PM
For me Pauls version took something away from the song maybe you are right saying it might work if it was mixed with the track.Marios sounded perfect to me and didnt need changing at all...and Im listening to it with one tweeter blown in one of my studio monitors Frankie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/26/11 03:31 PM
Many thanx for listening and the very generous comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/26/11 03:35 PM
Paul, that sounded very good. I'm going to have to look into CLAS. Or as my wife says I'm going to have to get some CLASS ---- ---
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/28/11 12:41 AM
Very nice Mario !! I wished I had a Wind Controller here to use with my Tyros. Loved the landscape you created with this, could be used in a sad movie setting, IMO.

Fantastic mix and production. Love the guitar tone and chops as well, first class stuff brother.

Trax
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/29/11 09:00 AM
Hi Mario,

What a great opening. It was a very skillful use of pedal-point that was perfectly placed for maximum emotional impact. In my opinion, this composition is exceptionally good. I floated along on the music all the way.

When Winamp first opened and said that the work was 4:00 mins long, I thought, "How unusual to have a song exactly 4 minutes. That's longer than most." Then, when the song finished, I thought, "Is that it? Surely 4:00 minutes hasn't gone by yet." I was impressed.

This is a work of beauty.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/30/11 06:17 PM
Trax, thanx for the kind review.

Have you looked into a breath controller

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-Y...edium=feed&

for your Tyros? They are a lot cheaper, $80, than a wind controller but can do almost the same thing.

If your Tyros doesn’t accept a breath controller the you will need a breath controller to midi converter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RDX...D77X70PK49GVY1J

These little suckers cost $160! Hopefully you can use just the breath controller.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by Mario - 03/30/11 06:19 PM
Thanx Noel for your very impressive review.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Lamented Sadness by MarioD - 03/30/11 09:12 PM
Mario,

Very, very nice. Really enjoyed it. It sure doesn't seem 4 min. long!

Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lamented Sadness by MarioD - 03/31/11 12:34 AM
Thank you very much Greg.
© PG Music Forums