PG Music Home
Posted By: Bruce B Valentines' Night - 04/17/11 12:34 PM
I use BIAB mainly for practicing solos over standards, but with the advent of Realtracks, it's become useful for backing tracks for the duo (The Elderly Brothers) I play in. This track is really just an improvisation over the chords for My Funny Valentine that I did as an experiment. I'm a guitarist, and I played my Strat (not known for Jazz tones) with my Line6 Pod Farm using an original sound. It sounds to me like a path worth following. Take a listen if you like, and feel free to comment. Just paste the URL into your browser.

http://soundcloud.com/bruce-boome/valentines-night
Posted By: Bruce B Re: Valentines' Night - 04/17/11 12:51 PM
Woops, just read the rules. The backing track I used was done with Band In A Box, useing SJAZZC2, as is, nothing added or removed. I burned it as Audio (each track seperate), and put them into Sonar. I also used a free graphic eq plug-in to brighten up the Rhodes a bit, and one to give a touch more edge to the bass guitar. I recorded the guitar in one take, there is one note at the end that is a bit crunchy, but on the whole it was a good performance that I wanted to preserve. I burned it with Kajerhuis Master Limiter inserted into the Master Bus.
Posted By: mglinert Re: Valentines' Night - 04/21/11 08:15 AM

I'm not a jazz man myself. Is this an original compo or not? If not, I'm not altogether sure it should be posted here.

YOu certainly seem to know what you're doing with that electric guitar!

And Bruce, if you don't mind my saying so, you might want to change the name of that band you play in.
Posted By: Pierre Julien Re: Valentines' Night - 04/21/11 11:47 AM
Hi Bruce

Really liked your improv on my funny valentine. Must say that smooth jazz is not really my cup of tea. I think it's just the accompaniment that bothers me a bit. But that being said, I think the guitar is more suited than the sax for smooth jazz. The guitar blends a lot more in that type of jazz.

I find your guitar sounds just right to my ears. When I hear your sound, the name of the belgian jazz guitarist Philip Catherine comes to my mind. From one chorus to the other you renew yourself very tastefully in the improvs paths you take. Great job. Don't know if I agree with Marc though, on your band's name. Seems like the band as a long and bright future ahead. Hey, we do live longer nowadays...
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Valentines' Night - 04/21/11 06:39 PM
Very tasty Bruce

Trax
Posted By: MarioD Re: Valentines' Night - 04/21/11 06:44 PM
Now this is music!

Great chops here man. Who says Strats can’t be used in jazz? It’s not the guitar it’s the man playing the guitar!
© PG Music Forums