PG Music Home
Posted By: Shockwave199 New- What you put me through! - 05/07/11 07:14 AM
Well, the end of a LONG road of getting this song done while doing a documentary video with the whole thing. This was really fun! Thank you all for coming along for the ride. Such a great and talented group of people here. It's an honor to be amongst you! And...thanks for spinning this one!

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=84551

Dan
Posted By: George Nelson Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/07/11 09:37 AM
Hi Dan,

Very good song.

Learning about how you produced it was great fun.

Kudos to you.

Best regards
George
Posted By: rsdean Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/07/11 05:46 PM
Dan,

Very nice! A really fun song and a great mix!

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/07/11 07:42 PM
Dan,

I love it! Fun song and sounds great. Super arrangement, excellent vocal and you remind me of Vince Gill on those harmonies - great work! And knowing you did it all while making an instructional video.....sheesh. Salute!

And I must say, that documentary was really inspiring. And well produced - especially knowing it's the first one you've ever done. Thank you for working so hard and letting us watch the whole song come together. I learned, I laughed, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/07/11 11:08 PM
Good Job! I really like this one and I enjoyed watching your process. I only wish I had a dedicated room. My "studio" is the family room.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/08/11 01:43 AM
Thank you all for listening and Josie- thanks so much for your kind words. That means a lot. It was fun sharing the experience with everyone. Thanks for listening- and watching too!

Dan
Posted By: Curt Young Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/08/11 12:53 PM
Great song!

And another "thank you" for the instructional videos...
Posted By: MarioD Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/08/11 03:42 PM
Great song! Loved it!

This reminded me of Rodney Carrington!

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: gibson Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/08/11 03:52 PM
I saw Mario mention Rodney Carrington and so HAD to listen as I like that guy's material
And so thoroughly enjoyed your song.
brilliant.
Alyn
Posted By: Pierre Julien Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/08/11 04:45 PM
Hey Dan

Don't know too much about country (Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson) that tells were I'm at, but nonetheless, really like your song. From what I've listened too, I know that country music can be like the blues. Nostalgia, broken love, departures. But still, I also liked these more humorous lyrics. Same as the last comments I've made, voice, lyrics and arrangement works perfectly. Hope that the cowboy comes back though, maybe it wasn't only his lady's fault...
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/09/11 08:12 PM
Hey Dan,

Very nice, I really enjoyed this.
Also a great job on your instruction video's, some very informative & helpful stuff going on there.
I'd highly recommend it to all users, (especially new ones) I'd say it will save you loads of time in the long run!

Excellent job all around.

Greg
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/09/11 10:08 PM
Dan, this is good stuff! I also want to congratulate you on doing such a stellar job on the instructional videos. Like Greg said, very helpful, especially to newcomers. And when you stopped to sip your coffee in video #1, I knew you were a man after my own heart! But you really have to come to Texas if you want to say "y'all" correctly!

Great work!

Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/10/11 01:18 AM
LOL! Thanks Steve! And you too Greg. Much appreciated.

Dan
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/11/11 01:16 PM
Dan,
Great job! I really enjoyed the song and learned so much from the video series. As you can see from my small number of posts, I'm new to the forum and usually in receive mode.
It was very helpful seeing the music engineering process you use. I've been using trial and error for a while and get impatient fumbling through the technical aspects of BIAB and RB. I think the tips you demonstrated will really help me out. I've been reading all the user manuals and tutorials from PG and although they're great for learning aspects of the programs, I couldn't grasp the whole process. Thanks for the recognizing need and taking the time to share. I particularly enjoyed and learned from the two studio segments watching how you performed and constructed the vocals. Thanks again.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/12/11 01:38 AM
Thanks for listening, watching, and commenting! Here's one more tip- this board is FULL of amazing people who really know the ins & outs of this software. There are SO many tips to be gained, beyond my video series. Keep reading the wealth of info at this amazing place full of experts. But I'm sure glad I could contribute some things too!

Thanks again.

Dan
Posted By: mglinert Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/12/11 09:48 AM

Very carefully produced vox tracks

Intriguing lyric – makes the listener wonder what she did?!

This is a very professional production and a great mix with everything right where it should be.

Something about the ending does not sound quite right to me -

I would have one more repetition of the “what you put me through” chord sequence that begins at 1:46, then a final repetition of that line but with the chord sequence that resolves, but that’s just me!

And, Dan, a lesson to us all, this one comes in at just 2.00 and is all the better for it.

Yee ha!

Marc

ps I don’t know why the county genre lends itself so readily to humour, but it does.
(if you will forgive the self-promotion, I did exactly the same thing )
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/12/11 06:38 PM
'Intriguing lyric – makes the listener wonder what she did?!'

You don't want to know! ;>)

But, some things I have told you,

-She got cold to the core
-She throws kitchen utensiles- HEAVY ones!
-She make him fear for his life
-She's a potential stalker

That's some critical info! LOL!

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Dan
Posted By: retake Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/12/11 07:21 PM
Dan, I really enjoyed seeing how you made this great song. I wish I only needed a little pitch correction in my songs. I have one request. I know it will be a lot of trouble but if you have time maybe do a video on the process of how you chose the style and instruments you used in BIAB and the writing process for the lyrics. Don't forget to cover in the video: Which came first the music or the lyrics? Did you have a chorus in mind that you wrote the verse around or vice versa? I know that this would help all of us who are looking for ideas on how to better write our songs.

You are a very talented individual.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/12/11 10:55 PM
Hi Steve,

First off, thank you very much for your kind words.

I don't think a video is needed to cover that info. My process for song writing has always been to have the chorus first. I always feel that when I have the chorus, I have the song, even if that chorus gets tucked away and the rest unfinished for a bit. This way the verses and bridge follow more easily because they have a direction home- the chorus- already done. And with the chorus of course comes the music, which dictates the style, tempo, and key of the song. The writing of the chorus is done almost simultainiously between the words and music, although I often have the music first- words second. This is typical of how I write country music, where structure and formula remain fairly consistent. Other generas allow for different approaches if need be.

The first thing I look for in Biab is simply a style that matches the type of song I have at hand, as close to the tempo as I need. I don't really need a style persay. I could assemble the real tracks separately. But I find it helps to find a style for a sort of 'package' where the included instruments work well together already. For me, the drums are everything. Bass too. They need to be what I'm looking for in a style. When they're playing what I'm looking for, in A B and/or C parts, the choice is clear. Having the ultra pack helps a lot- everything is in there. I usually don't have to search long to find what I need and if something is used out of the norm and still works, that's even more cool too. I really need to pick up 2011 in a big way, and grab the newest real tracks.

Anyway, that's my usual progression of things. Thanks for the interest. Everyone is different and works differently though. That's what makes songs and writing them so unique.

Dan
Posted By: retake Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/13/11 05:07 PM
Thanks Dan. I have learned so much from you and others on this forum. Another cool thing is, before I watched your videos I had been doing a lot of research on mics. I had pretty much settled on the Shure SM7b for father's day but not 100% sure. When I saw you using it on your recording that made up my mind to get it.

Steve
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/13/11 06:01 PM
The sm7 is a wonderful mic no doubt, but be adivised it needs a fairly substantial high gain preamp to wake it up. It's a low volume dynamic mic. Even my Avalon is goosed pretty high to get a proper signal. A computer interface offering little to no additional gain won't cut it.

These are great little pres for short bucks. I have them, but have not used them with the sm7. Either one could do well, and the VTB-1 would be the better of the two all around, I believe.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studio-Projects-VTB1-Tube-Blend-Mic-Preamp?sku=180360

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

Dan
Posted By: Daisy Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/13/11 06:44 PM
Terrific song, Dan!

And I most especially appreciated watching all the videos - learned a lot, and plan to watch again.

I can't think of a better way to remind Peter and the good PG folks that we really do want to see envelope automation come to RealBand sometime soon (so I don't have to learn Reaper).

Kudos,
Daisy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/15/11 03:43 AM
Hi Dan,

It's all been said. This is excellent work. Pro all the way! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I compliment you on your video series too, it's incredibly well put together and very informative.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: tributeman Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/15/11 09:37 AM
surely this is country to the core but I havent watched the video yet.Though Im not into comedic songs this is really funny are you singing about anyone in particular Dan hehe.Cheers Frankie
Posted By: GHinCH Re: New- What you put me through! - 05/15/11 01:00 PM
Being a fairly new user of BIAB your step by step explanations opened my eyes for some possibilities. I especially like your that*s-what-I-do-approach, making it very valuable while giving everybody else the opportunity to agree or do something different.

Thank you.

Guido
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: New- What you put me through! - 07/03/11 06:03 PM
Hey Dan, late to the party (I just discovered your series yesterday) and wanted to say what a great job you did on the series! I know how much work goes into one of them and how time consuming they can be (I did a 1 1/2 hour one on mixing in the Kristal Audio Engine)

I learned a LOT of tricks for the next time I create a tune in BB, and wanted to say that BB 2011 is WELL worth the upgrade just for the time stretching alone.

And as for the pre amps Dan suggested, go with the VTB-1. I have both and the VTB-1 is WAY cleaner & more versatile, plus it works well with ribbon mics.

Thank You again for creating this great series!
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: New- What you put me through! - 07/04/11 08:14 PM
Thank you very much for listening and watching! I also agree, the VTB-1 is very good and don't forget it also makes a great DI for guitar & bass too.

Dan
© PG Music Forums