PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Life Of A Gun - 06/02/11 03:25 AM

Style is CRAY1.STY
Style Instruments are : Fender Bass (34),,
RealTracks in song: :Organ, B3, Background Blues Roadhouse Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: RockHardLA^1-ClsdHt,HlfOpHt
Added Guitars and Vocals mixed and mastered in Garageband.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10708329

Life Of A Gun

He brought it home from the pawnshop in the pocket of his army coat

He laid it on the kitchen table he could almost smell the smoke

He pointed it in the mirror and said you lookin at me son

It’s just another day in the life of a gun

He found him standing on the corner and walked up to him real slow

I heard you’re sellin some young ones he handed him a bullet and said you better go

the next ones comin faster and you had better run

Blood spilled on the sidewalk blood splashed on the street

The outline of a criminal was drawn for all to see

He looked down at his trembling hands and said man what have i done

Posted By: Steve Young Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/03/11 02:16 AM
Tommy,

Nice job on this one. I really liked your guitar work on this. Nice mix. Keep up the good work.

Steve
Posted By: rsdean Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/03/11 02:20 AM
Tom,

This is excellent! Love the instrumentation and vocal. I can hear some Stax-Volt sound in here - very nice...

Bob
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/03/11 02:46 AM
Tommy I'm an old folkie and currently play around with varying tempos of country
but I Love The Grit of this tune and the instrumentation. The B3 takes me back to college days
and dancing to the Spencer Davis Group.

So how did this song come about? Dare I ask?
I find sometimes I can just load a certain style and the lyrics are ready to write themselves. Strange how that happens.

Anyway - great song - Ian
Posted By: tommyad Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/03/11 11:47 AM
Ian, Back in the day, I learned to play keyboards after hearing Stevie W with Spencer Davis. Nobody Knows when youre down and out. A killer rendition. Short answer- Going thru styles I had the concept of a song from the guns point of view. Style fit. Changed out the drums and B3. Added rhythm and lead and vocal. Done and in the can in an hour. I play a variation of this solo live every weekend for the last twenty years so that was one take. Lyrics are based on the movie Taxi Driver. A very fast write. This style is a tribute to the great bluesman Robert Cray. Thanks for asking and for listening. Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/03/11 09:44 PM
Hi Tommy,

What a great sound you've got happening with this one! You managed to pull me right into the heart of the mix. I was with you all the way. It's a great hook, too, "A day in the life of a gun".

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: redguitars Re: Life Of A Gun - 06/07/11 08:20 PM
Tom,
I just listened to this. Another great hook. I assume you're playing a Strat. What ever it is, it's a great guitar sound and really nice playing. Don't you love nailing the guitar in one take. I love when that happens.
The vocals were just right. The lyrics take you right there. It's a solid song.
You used the Cray Style. I used that style on my first new recording. It's a good style. Well done, You got a fan here,
Wayne,
Posted By: PRearden Re: Life Of A Gun - 08/31/11 12:14 AM
Like your playing here. Hooky... wish I had that talent. But dude, guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Life Of A Gun - 09/05/11 08:46 AM
Wow.....what a great lyric idea. This works so well.

You're a talented fella and I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Wish you every success with it.

Martin
Posted By: Mike. R. Re: Life Of A Gun - 09/05/11 02:23 PM
Nice sound Tom.

It springs into life straight away and it's very well mixed - I can hear what you are singing ... Crystal clear.

That B3 is sitting well and the guitar solo is crisp and clear - this is a real foot tapper.

Nice phrasing.
© PG Music Forums