PG Music Home
Posted By: redguitars New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 02:53 PM
Hello, back again with another one.

This one is also from 1992.
I was trying to write a song of hope. I don't know if it came out that way.
If you have the time, give it a listen.
I hope you enjoy it.

I transferred this from cassette to PC, using Powertrack12.
Vocals and guitar are me and the rest is MIDI, BIAB, using a Roland Sound Canvas Module.
Wayne,

"No More Sad Songs"

The man on the radio, said please stay tuned
After this next message, I've got some real news
Late last night, a man came home and he cried
He prayed to God, keep his wife alive
So for tonight, there's gonna be a little change

There'll be, no more sad songs, for awhile
Just songs of hope, to help him raise a smile
There'll be, no more sad songs, for awhile
We've got to show him that we care
And let him know, he's not alone out there

So there'll be, no more sad songs, for awhile
Just songs of hope, to help him raise a smile
This gentle man needs all your prayers

Wayne Whiteside, Copyright December 28,1992
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 04:00 PM
Nice Sangin on some great Country Wayne ! Incredible if you count the porta-4 to boom box to comp rendering !
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 04:06 PM
Thanks a lot Tommyc. I wasn't sure it was country when I had to pick a category. But it sounded country to me.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment. I appreciate it.
Wayne,
Posted By: Jan Romanoff Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 04:14 PM
Wayne

You sure have a great voice. Great mix/master and great lyrics. Lets hear more!

// Jan
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 04:20 PM
Thanks Jan,
I so glad you liked it. It means a lot to me when people take the time to listen and then comment.
I really appreciate it. I have more songs here:

Blueslogic MusicPage

There are a few really hard rock songs, but most are mellow and a couple are mellow Blues.
It's kind of a mixed bag. Thank you again for your kind words.
Wayne,
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 09:36 PM
Well sung and very well written. Is that a harmonizer on the slide or are you tuned to an open 6th? Sounds very unique. Kind of a hawaiian tuning. This one stands up so well it should be a candidate for a rerecord with the new technology. I really liked the message. Well done. Tom
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/08/11 11:50 PM
Thanks Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to listen and glad you enjoyed it.
I just overdubbed the guitar. I played the first part then rolled the tape back and played the harmony.
I don't know if there were harmonizers back then. If there were, I'm sure I couldn't afford one.

My biggest investment at the time was buying a good condenser mic. It was an Audio Technica mic for home recording. It was about $500.00 dollars at the time, but it changed everything. After that, recording Vocals and Acoustic guitar was a dream. I also got a Mackie Mixer as soon as they came out and an Alesis Reverb unit.

What surprised me most about finding these old songs is that I played slide. I don't remember playing slide.
Go figure....lol

Thanks again Tommy,
Wayne,
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/11/11 03:37 PM
I really liked this one, Wayne. Very haunting, very engaging. And this was done on your Portastudio? I bought an 8-track Portastudio about that time to record my songs and also got into BIAB and PT about the same time. Set up with time code in hopes of using together. But the computer side of things took off so I used that - now the Portastudio is my soundcard interface.

You've done some wonderful work with it. In this song is that slide guitar played by you - what a beautiful hook.

Good stuff. Ian
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/11/11 04:06 PM
Thank you Ian,
Yes the guitars are me. I completely forgot about the slide until I found these tapes.
When I recorded these there wasn't recording on the PC yet. Roland was coming out with the 8 track digital recorders. I remember them being thousands of dollars.
I did do the striping the tape with time code. That left me with 3 tracks, but it worked great because I could just run the MIDI direct to my mastering deck when mixing down and use the 3 tracks for Vocals and Guitar.
It only worked with my Atari ST. I never got it going on the PC. Those were fun times. I felt like a mad scientist programming my synths. Oh, and you also had to have about 4 hands....lol

Thanks again Ian, Much appreciated.
Wayne,
Since I started again, I use my PC, an Alesis Multimix Mixer and a decent mic. BIAB and Powertracks. It's like heaven.
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/12/11 08:44 AM
That's a great song Wayne, beautifully delivered. Your voice is first class, and I loved the slide guitar work: simple but very hooky.
And all done on a Portastudio! Ten years on and we have more audio toys than we can use and this totally illustrates that it's all about the message not the medium.

John
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/12/11 10:14 AM
Thanks John,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post. Very kind words. I played the slide like a lot of my solos, I tried to just follow the melody or make them melodic. Almost all these songs wer made as demos. So I recorded them the way they wanted them. Bring out the melody, vocal and make sure it can be understood.
19 years ago I was criticized by other musicians for not getting 8 track machines and big mixing boards. I didn't have the money and I didn't need it. Half my songs were recorded with 2 or only 1 mic. I played the Guitar and sang alone. These were Demos. I recorded these the way the record companies and Publishers wanted them. Clean and understanable.

Thanks again John,
Wayne,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/12/11 11:41 AM
Hi Wayne,

It's all been said. This is a beautiful song and you have a fantastic voice. I found the lyrics exceptional. They really work incredibly well for me. It's a terrific premise for a song.

Last year, I was at a songwriting seminar with Beth Nielsen Chapman (co-writer of "This Kiss" - sung by Faith Hill a few years ago). Anyway, Beth is an amazing singer-songwriter and one of her major philosophies is that lyrics should resonate with truth and believability. She'd love this song of yours.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: redguitars Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/12/11 05:31 PM
Hi Noel,
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment. I so glad you enjoyed this.
I just went to your song page and listened to a few of your songs. From the first note I was instantly a fan. Your compliments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Wayne,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song, "No More Sad Songs" - 06/13/11 12:18 AM
Hey Wayne,

Thanks for having a listen to some of my songs. I appreciate the positive feedback!

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums