PG Music Home
Posted By: McCann Song: Gone - with youtube video - 07/28/11 11:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPDvk13YvCA

I thought I just posted this last night on this forum, but didn't see it out there. So, posting again. You can probably tell what instruments I used BiaB for. Let me know what you think of the song, mix, etc.

Other recording tools used:
Propellerhead's record and reason
Cubase 5 (final mix)
Avalan (vacuum tube mic pre-amp)
Blue's baby bottle mic
Posted By: Sundance Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 07/29/11 01:37 AM
Really pretty, current sounding and Mary's voice is wonderful. Great mix imo. I enjoyed it very much.
Posted By: MrEd Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 07/29/11 01:52 AM
Very emotional. Beautiful, moving lyrics and the music is outstanding. Mix is superb. The pictures in the video really fit the song well.

Very well done.

Mike
Posted By: McCann Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/05/11 10:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it.

Strangely, I don't know what style of song I would classify this. Is it easy listening or soft rock or country?
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/08/11 08:37 AM
Such a nice song. Everything is right with this lyrically and melodically. Like it a lot.

One minor criticism, but only on the mix, not the song. I'm no expert here but the snare sounds very sharp and "splashy" in the chorus which detracts and distracts from the oh so sweet vocal.

Maybe it could be lowered in the mix or have some top end taken off so that it doesn't cut through the vocal so much.

Lovely song though....keep em coming!!

Take care

Martin
Posted By: Skyline Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/08/11 09:04 AM
A really excellent song, beautifully sung. Nicely recorded, especially the intimate vocal.
Sorry, but some odd panning distracted me. The snare drum is panned hard right, with a second snare panned in the middle at 2:20! The cymbals are panned far left and right, so if the main snare were centred (out the way of the violin) that would sound much better.

John
Posted By: retake Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/09/11 08:40 PM
McCann, I was listening to your other recordings on your web site and really like your music. I was wondering what mic you used on your vocals such as on Waiting for the Dawn? Also, what type of processing do you do on vocals?

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/10/11 02:48 PM
McCann, what a beautiful song! And Mary did a great job on the vocals. I agree with some of the comments about the mix, but nothing there that really distracts from the beauty of the song, or overall sound to me. Keep up the good work!

Steve
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/13/11 06:08 AM
Very beautiful voice and song. Mary's voice reminds me of Sara Groves.

I enjoyed listening to this. Great job using Biab to write and produce this song. Way to go !!

Trax
Posted By: McCann Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/13/11 10:12 PM
Thanks again for the great feedback, Sundance, MrEd, Mr_Songman, Skyline, retake, Steve, Muzic Trax! And yes, the singer has a very beautiful voice. I can't wait to record with her again.

Mr_Songman, Skyline - Thanks for that insight. I'll try the snare with a little less "harmonic exciter" and try panning closer to center. I was trying to get the 'slide' feel from the cymbal to the snare. I liked it because it added some dynamic interest, but (like you said) it was distracting.
Posted By: McCann Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/13/11 10:32 PM
Quote:

McCann, I was listening to your other recordings on your web site and really like your music. I was wondering what mic you used on your vocals such as on Waiting for the Dawn? Also, what type of processing do you do on vocals?

Steve

Thank you.

I should probably write this stuff down for each song! I will now start doing this thanks to this question... otherwise I might have a hard time repeating past successes.

Most of my vocals are done with Blue's Baby Bottle mic. It is a highly sensitive mic and requires a little bit of time positioning the mic/singer so as to get a great sound - since it can pick up 'everything'. However, on occasion, Sure Beta 58A and rarely Sure SM57. I almost always go through my Avalan VT 737 SP (vacuum tube mic pre-amp) unless I'm just trying things out. For example, the "boston_-_joseph_-fm-v1a" song was recorded with Sure Beta 58A and ART Tube MP Studio (pre amp).

I was using Digi001 for my music interface. I've now switched to Motu Audio Express.

For the processing of vocals, it varies based on the song. Avalan does a good job at getting rid of the sibilance(Ss, Ts, etc). I usually add a little compression, chorus, delay and some other dynamic effects found in both the Propellerhead and Cubase tools. One plugin I love (and probably over use still since I'm still learning it) is the BBE Sonic Sweet plugins. I'm still learning how to get everything to sit in the mix and not crowd out the other sounds. I usually try to let the vocals sit without tweaking frequencies as much as possible... everything else I almost always put hard limits on.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Song: Gone - with youtube video - 08/14/11 05:26 PM
Great Singer !
© PG Music Forums