PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/28/11 03:16 PM
I had the lyrics and melody for this song a long time ago but shelved it when I couldn't find the right genre and arrangement for it. I recently revived it and tried it with a 'Neil Young/Poco' feel, which I think works quite well, but I'll let you be the judge!

I programmed the drum and bass parts and did the vocals. I had help from Jammer Pro for the piano and acoustic guitar strumming part (played through RealGuitar 2). BIAB supplied the 'Strat' rhythm guitar part and the lap steel bits which I cut and pasted into Sonar from three different solo versions, using style _DIRE_MD.

Lyrics and other notes here
Song MP3 here

John
Posted By: George Nelson Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/31/11 06:04 PM
Hi John,

I really like the "feel" of this song.
It resonates with me (as I live on my own and music gives me life)
I have been moving home and just recently got my broadband connection (Wow it seemed like a lifetime without it)

Keep on writing and playing and singing

Regards
Michee
Posted By: pikeyh Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/31/11 07:08 PM
nice song John with some great changes... good work. Ade
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/31/11 07:55 PM
I do not agree with the lyrics, the music is very well produced, you have a great voice. Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My 50/90 Songwriting Challenge
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
Posted By: Skyline Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/31/11 09:04 PM
Many thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Robert, sorry, I didn't mean to offend. If you have a look at the song's notes on my web site link you'll see that the verse I think you might have a problem with is actually a dig at those who cynically exploit other people's need for meaning for their own selfish ends, setting themselves up as false prophets, e.g. some politicians, cult leaders, etc. The middle eight sounds a positive note and points to a more valid spirituality.
I hope that clarifies!

John
Posted By: rsdean Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 08/31/11 11:34 PM
John,

Very nice - like this song a lot. You accomplished getting the Young/Poco feel.

Bob
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/01/11 05:01 AM
You did not offend me. Thanks!
Posted By: dcuny Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/01/11 07:47 AM
Lyrically, it didn't really grab me. Not a huge deal, since that sort of thing is very subjective.

But from a production point of view, I really liked what you did with the arrangement. It's very clear, and has great stereo placement on the drums. Lots of changes in texture, but still very restrained and not too busy or fussy. Very impressive.

The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps bringing down the volume on the ride cymbal on the introduction, or drop it entirely during the introduction.

Nice work!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/01/11 03:35 PM
Music helps me through my Daze too. Good job !
Posted By: Marty Wittmann Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/01/11 04:31 PM
Hey Skyline,
What I really liked about the song is it kept me listening and wondering what was coming next. Super job. I got the lyrics and loved them. Vocals were great for this song. Nice chord structure and arrangement. Keep up the good work. You thought out of the box on this one and I commend you for it.
Marty
Posted By: Skyline Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/01/11 08:37 PM
Thanks Bob, Robert, David, Tommy, Marty, much appreciated.

Marty, here's how the chords and arrangement came about. Around the time I wrote the melody I had recently listened to Tony Hatch talking about how he liked key changes when writing his songs, so in this one I tried moving from D in the verses up to E in the choruses and then back again to D for the next verse, with a final jump to F# for the last chorus. I'm not a formally trained musician, but after a bit of experimentation I got something that sounded good to my ears!

John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 'Too Many Questions' - new song - 09/02/11 07:26 AM
Hi John,

I was with you all the way as I listened. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The composition and arrangement are excellent and your singing is perfect for this style.

I'm going back for a second listen now

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums