PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 12:33 AM
This quarterly’s song category over at Kara-Moon is Storms. Below is the message and song that I posted there:

In this Saturday night special titled Lighting Strikes. I tried to capture how frantic our three Shih-Tzu dogs can get during a thunder and lighting storm. They have a propensity to go absolutely nuts when this happens. Either my wife or one of my kids has to sit on the couch so they can all sit both next to and on their lap.

This is not the most melodic thing I have written but it was good to get out of my comfort zone. It is basically just some high speed, or at least high speed for this old guy, rifts over backing tracks. I am playing the guitar, bass and synth parts and the drums are from the Hvy Met, met.guit (85RT) style of Band-in-a-Box.

I hope you like it for what it is.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 03:17 AM
Where did you get the storm sounds. It sounded like I was in a storm. Very nice work MarioD. Some nice guitar riffs indeed. Clean sound.

My Music
Posted By: gibson Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 05:19 AM
I can imagine your Shih-Tzu's going beserk with this piece.
I will wait until later in the day to play it through my PA to get the full effect or the missus may go beserk, like your dogs!!
Sounded like you had fun!

Alyn
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 06:10 PM
Robert, thanx for listening and those very nice comments.

I got those storm sounds from http://www.freesound.org/

You have to register but it is free. They have lots of sounds and loops over there. Have fun!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 06:12 PM
Thanx Alyn. Actually the dogs did go nuts when I turned up the volume so they could hear it.

I did have fun with this one. Thanx for listening.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 06:25 PM
Mario,

This is great - a lot of fun. As the owner of a storm-crazy Shih-Tzu, I can relate!

Bob
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/20/11 08:24 PM
He stood in the middle of a parking lot during a storm.... Mario likes to be authentic!! LOL!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/21/11 12:39 PM
Thanx for listening.

Bob – Shih-Tzus are great little dogs but they can get a little hyper during storms can’t they.

Eddie – standing in the parking lot during that storm wasn’t the hardest part. It was holding that 20’ aluminum pole with the mike attached to it that was the hardest
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/21/11 04:51 PM
That guitar pick must still be smoking Mario ! Your song Peace would go good after this on a CD.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lighting Strikes - 09/26/11 01:11 PM
Hi Mario,

This one slipped by me. This is incredibly inventive. The whole atmosphere that the storm sounds created really did this work justice. Brilliant guitar work, synth work. You're definitely a musical force to be reckoned with.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Superbron Re: Lighting Strikes - 10/09/11 09:56 AM
Wow, MarioD!

Excellent track! I loved the atmosphere. Just one little thing: shouldn't it be called: Lightning Strikes instead of Lighting Strikes?

Cheers,

Superbron
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: Lighting Strikes - 10/27/11 03:30 PM
Hi Mario, very good mix, alot going on. Enjoyed listening

Cheers

Nels
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Lighting Strikes - 10/27/11 07:51 PM
Hey Buddy, I like the "speed"! Wish I still had some of it!!

I wouldn't dare play this thru anything but earphones to protect my "thunderstruck"
doggies...two year old Jack Russell, two year old Maltese and nine year old Cairne!

I have to triage them every time we have just this kind of storm down here....and we
have them often down here in the swamp, Mario. Glad you live off on a mountain top somewhere!?

Oh...and when I hook up the guitar in acid rock mode, they take off in a bigas hurry!!

Good to hear that talent again...
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lighting Strikes - 10/27/11 09:54 PM
TommyC – thanx for listening and the kind comments.

Noel – thanx – I’m not sure about the musical force statement though!

Superbron – thanx for the kind words and for catching that typo! It should be Lightning Strikes!

Nels - thanx for listening and the kind words

Gdaddy – Thanx for the kinds words. Having two terriers must be a handful, even on a good day let alone during a thunderstorm! Actually I’m far from a mountain. I live on some very flat land near Rochester NY and Lake Ontario.
© PG Music Forums