PG Music Home
Posted By: kerkenat It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 01:06 AM
I have created a song in BIAB, called "It's Been an Honor" which I would like to share with the forum on this user showcase.

It is my own lyrics and chord progression, and I'd love recommendations on fine-tuning, polishing the chords, applying any audio processing or effects, (there are basically no effects or audio processing) but I can't change the lyrics. They have been copyrighted (the lyrics) this year, so I will leave those as is.

Anyway, my question is:

What format should I show it in. I haven't completed a video for it yet, but I have that all planned.

And I really don't prefer to present it as an audio waveform that plays along with an mp3 like on Soundcloud and those.

What I'd like to do is prepare a basic Youtube-type video that scrolls the BIAB note-based lyrics, in the Big Lyrics window.

Does BIAB have such a feature? You know, render to mp4 video or avi?

Doc K
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 06:37 AM
Hi Doc,

You'll get more answers to your questions if you'll post them in the BIAB user or the off topic forum. This forum is only for showcasing your BIAB/RB created song with a link to an mp3 or video so we can hear it. Please read the sticky st the top of this forum titled "User Showcase Info and FAQ".

BTW, welcome.
Posted By: Skyline Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 09:58 AM
What's the problem with Soundcloud exactly? You can paste both the lyrics here and a link to the Soundcloud post, and we're all set to listen!

John
Posted By: kerkenat Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 01:50 PM
Nothing at all is wrong with soundcloud. It is a wonderful service. But I just wanted you all to see the scrolling lyrics. No biggie.

The BIAB screen capture is up on YouTube now.

I am a flower delivery guy by day, and I wrote these lyrics about 'a day in the life'. Hope you like it.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYGWpIM0iQ

Doc K
Posted By: Noel96 Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 02:13 PM
Hi Doc K,

I congratulate you on a very inventive presentation. It's really good to see BIAB in action while it plays the song. Thank you for taking time to put this together. I enjoyed it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 05:18 PM
Hi Doc,

Nice song and presentation. Thanks for posting it. Perhaps you could describe for others how you made the video and posted it. (ie what software used, how did you record the audio etc.)
Posted By: kerkenat Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/26/11 10:26 PM
Sure Peter,

I'd be glad to tell how I did it, in a step by step manner.

If you read my initial post on this thread, I was wondering how I was going to present the song on this 'showcase'. I wanted more than just an audio file and some read along lyrics.

I wanted the Big Lyrics window to scroll the words, at the point they are sung. It would be nice if BIAB had a utility that accomplished what I did here, but maybe in the next release.

Plus I like the idea of people who are not familiar with BIAB, like we all are, to see just how utterly empowering this program is to people who are looking to express themselves musically. Basically in any genre you like.

So instead of saying, "Here is how to make music in Band in a Box", I just put a song out there, playing in BIAB, for all to see, but didn't really say anything about BIAB.

Anyway, ... I did a google search for screen capture 'utilities' and I found a $30 one called TotalScreenRecorder Gold-

http://www.totalscreenrecorder.com

It said it would record whatever was on my screen, video and audio, so

I installed it,

made a few options configuration settings in the utility,

closed all other apps and windows except BIAB, (It's Been An Honor was already loaded and ready to go),

clicked "started recording" on the utility,

alt-tabbed to BIAB, clicked Play,

moved my mouse cursor out of the way

and when the song was over, I alt-tabbed back to the utility

clicked "stop recording" on the utility.

Then I had an avi file (compressed so that it was <2GB, (YouTubes basic file size limitation) which I then uploaded to my YouTube account.

The trickiest part was configuring the audio settings in the utility to record from my ASIO device, which BIAB uses, instead of my Windows default sound card.

Thank you for your interest. I have only just discovered BIAB, and I have a whole bunch of songs (lyrics, with tentative melody and basic unembellished chord progressions) in my queue, waiting to be completed.

Rock on, or whatever your genre is.
Posted By: rsdean Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/27/11 02:37 AM
Doc,

That was very entertaining and well put together. Great presentation.

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/28/11 04:21 AM
Doc K,

Now you've gone and done it.....I'm wanting flowers.

Very enjoyable.
Posted By: kerkenat Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/28/11 08:38 AM
Thanks Josie and Bob,

Then my next song might make you wanna go to the Philippines! Intrigues? Stay posted.

Doc K
Posted By: Skyline Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/28/11 09:13 AM
Well done Doc!
It never occurred to me before how rewarding it must be to get so much joy expressed towards you in a job like yours! It certainly warrants a song.

John
Posted By: kerkenat Re: It's Been an Honor! - 09/29/11 10:30 PM
Yeah John, it is rewarding, and it pays real good except in the summer months.

But I've always wanted to be a songwriter. But alas, I don't have a band of my own, (except BIAB).

Someday, I'd like to hook up with some talented musicians who are tired of the 'covers' scene, and are looking for a twisted lyricist. Then I won't have to make up the lyrics AND music. Although BIAB sure helps with that part.

Posted By: Steve Young Re: It's Been an Honor! - 10/01/11 04:53 AM
Hey Kent (Doc),

Really good job on this song! It's all been said. Keep up the good work!

Steve
Posted By: anieyo Re: It's Been an Honor! - 10/07/11 10:42 AM
Nice song and lyrics, Doc! Kudos.
© PG Music Forums