PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB At The Crossroads - 12/25/11 05:06 PM
Another BIAB/RB tune (all except for the lead guitar, horns and vocal). Love these programs!
Merry Christmas to all.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11315357

Regards,

Bob

At The Crossroads

©2011 Robert Randall Burke

Standing at the crossroads
Of Pleasure and Pain
Both roads lead back to you
But I can't go again
Something so perfect
Can be perfectly wrong
You filled me with weakness
But now I must be strong.

I remember Amarillo
The night that you stayed
We danced in the moonlight
While mariachis played
We were young and in love
But love does not last
Now I'm standing at the crossroads
Of the future and the past.

The road that I'm on does not lead me home
The road that I'm on
I must walk alone.

Key=C , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=14:33
No intro. 120 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 120. Repeat x3 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Soloist is saved with the song : Herbie H. Blues(even 8s)Pno (51)
Style is _POPCAL2.STY (Pop Calypso w/ Electric Guitar 2)
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1173:Accordion, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1176:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealDrums in Style: PopCalypso^6-OpenHat,WashyRide
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: At The Crossroads - 12/25/11 06:28 PM
bob, wonderful song! nice story line. good writing and choice of instruments. thanks for sharing.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: At The Crossroads - 12/25/11 06:39 PM
Good one Bob, nice arrangement and vocals.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: At The Crossroads - 12/25/11 07:58 PM
Excellent work Bob, the simple lead guitar is perfect in the mix. My least favorite part is the drums, i just don't like the beat for this song for some reason. Maybe another listen will settle it in.

Your mix is right on, with maybe on change, a tiny bit and i mean tiny bit less reverb on the vocal.

The kind of reverb is right, just a very very bit to much.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 02:10 AM
Thanks for listening guys, and your kind comments.

Rob, I am a recovering reverbaholic. I am trying, but it's an uphill battle.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 03:57 AM
Hi Bob,

I really like this alot. The beat makes me want to dance. I love the vocal. Maybe a little less verb but I didn't mind that. Great guitar and horns. The lyrics are simple and powerful.

Well done!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 10:17 AM
Josie,

Thanks for listening and your kind comments. Wishing you and Robert a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 01:24 PM
I enjoyed my listen -- good stuff. You make good arrangements in BIAB! Reverb is just a bit heavy, just cut that back a tad. (I wrote this next part over at JPF) Song construction wise, I would consider a "refrain" of some sort at the end of each verse (maybe Now I'm standing at the crossroads Of the future and the past) and I would look to change the lyrics somehow in verse 3 (instead of just repeating verse 1).

The lead break is perfect.
Posted By: JBlue7 Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 01:46 PM
Hi Bob,
Wish I had a voice that good. A great song, superb mix and sound quality. A beautiful Country feel. I'll be playing it more.
Happy New Year.
Jeff
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 02:04 PM
Quote:

I enjoyed my listen -- good stuff. You make good arrangements in BIAB! Reverb is just a bit heavy, just cut that back a tad. (I wrote this next part over at JPF) Song construction wise, I would consider a "refrain" of some sort at the end of each verse (maybe Now I'm standing at the crossroads Of the future and the past) and I would look to change the lyrics somehow in verse 3 (instead of just repeating verse 1).

The lead break is perfect.

Thanks Kevin. I was going for a vintage vibe with the verb (probably used too much!). As for the structure, I am intentionally trying to get away from conventional structure (AABA, etc.); whether it's detrimental to the song or not. It's very liberating. Some of these songs, like this one, are merely exercises in composition and not intended for the market. If I only wrote with the intent of being commercial, I think I would go mad.

I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 02:05 PM
Quote:

Hi Bob,
Wish I had a voice that good. A great song, superb mix and sound quality. A beautiful Country feel. I'll be playing it more.
Happy New Year.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Happy New Year to you as well!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 04:35 PM
I like the composition to the song very much, short and to the point, not over done. I keeper.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 04:59 PM
Nice Job Bob ,very country indeed !
Posted By: rsdean Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 08:37 PM
Hey Bob,

This is a really cool song. I enjoyed it very much. Love the lyrics...

Peace and Happy New Year.

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 09:38 PM
Nice tune, well written.

As others have mentioned, the mix needs adjusting - but that bit's deceptively harder than it seems.
Posted By: tributeman Re: At The Crossroads - 12/26/11 10:19 PM
Even though Im a Brit I love country this is country.Lyrics are great but hope you dont mind me saying the one line "but love does not last" might be better on a personal view "but that(or our) love did not last" as saying love does not last gives the impression that no love everlasts.Loved the song\lyrics and that true country voice.Cheers Frankie
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/27/11 03:12 AM
Thanks guys.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: At The Crossroads - 12/28/11 05:44 PM
Hi Bob,

Yet again you've come up with a belter!! The lyrics are superb tho I have to agree with Frankie that "Our love did not last" or something like it would be better.

Now I understand your comments about writing commercial material and that's fine. But this is too good a song to waste.

Now you've written what you want, why not write a commercial version?

Just write a chorus and this is a winner all the way! Please do - you deserve it!!

All the very best.

Martin
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/28/11 07:26 PM
Thanks for the kind words Martin. I think this is a little too "retro" to get a cut these days. If you heard Country music in the States right now, it sounds nothing like this. It's actually rock with a Southern drawl.

As for "commercial"; we've decided not to post any of the stuff we're actually pitching from now on, for a variety of reasons. We will, however, post some of these ditties from time to time just for kicks.

I'm having so much fun with BIAB/RB I just can't stop! What used to take me 6 months to do now takes a couple of hours. Incredible software.

Hope you and yours have a Happy New Year!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: At The Crossroads - 12/31/11 10:45 AM
Did I say that henceforth you shall be known as "Pinky?"

Man, that doesn't fit this song at all! You'll just have to be "Floyd"... that works in both genres.
:0

seriously, a very nice song. More!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: At The Crossroads - 12/31/11 11:39 AM
Thanks for the kind remarks Pat, although I'll have to think about that "Pinky" thing.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums