PG Music Home
Posted By: mnich If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/04/12 07:42 PM
Hello, Just started uploading my songs to my YouTube Channel, along with slideshows of some shots from my front porch here in the Smokey Mountains.

This song has fingerstyle acoustic guitar, bass, pedal steel, and drums. I spend most of my time running 3 or 4 tracks of pedal steel and auditioning each measure, and cut and pasting to best fit around my vocals.

thanks for listening.
Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86XnaM2kCY&feature=related
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/27/12 05:58 AM
Martin,

having listened to several of your songs, I want to say that I like your personal adaptations of western NC mountain music. Asheville is a great place for musicians... artsy and the mountains are awe inspiring. I hope to live there some day.

I look forward to hearing more of your music. I'm in NC too... maybe we'll cross paths one day
Posted By: MarioD Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/27/12 01:16 PM
Hi Martin, I like this song. Good backing tracks (great job on the steel guitar) and lyrics. Of course I like your country voice.

However on this song I think your vocals have to come up. They seem buried in the mix and hard to hear at times.

Just my two cents.
Posted By: seeker Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/27/12 06:23 PM
Martin,

Really like your nice, gentle not forced vocals. Great lyrics, simple but
every word tells a story. As Mario commented good backing tracks, Like the
finger picking intro and thru-out the song, the pedal steel level adds but
not too heavy, great ending with it.

Thanks for your hard work and sharing with us all.

More Please !
Posted By: mnich Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/28/12 05:40 PM
Thanks Pat for digging this up. I figured after this first submittal, put up 3 weeks ago, hit the 3rd page with no comments, it wasn't worth commenting on, and was buried forever. If you are ever over this way give me a call. Asheville is great, but I had to wait until I semi-retired to get here.

MarioD, I appreciate the feedback on my vocal level. Just wondering, what you and others listen thru when on this board? PC speakers, headphones, ear buds, nearfields, etc? Maybe I need to start referencing my mixes thru more than my 6" KRK's and a pair of cheap 5" Polk's that I have.

Seeker, On my YT page with this song there is one more I haven't posted here yet. I might put it up here next week. thanks
Posted By: Steve Young Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/28/12 09:10 PM
Martin,

Thanks for posting this song. I was out of commission for several weeks and missed this one. Good job. I agree with Mario, your voice is a little too far back in the mix.

I like the song.

Steve
Posted By: MitchC Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/28/12 09:14 PM
Very nice tune. You have a great voice... turn it UP a tad ?
Posted By: Sundance Re: If You Chose to be a Bird - 01/29/12 03:16 AM
Hey Martin,

I like this song too. It's got a great feel. But it's too hard to hear the lyrics clearly. So I'll add a +1 to the turn up your vox a little bit.

Josie
© PG Music Forums