0:44 Enter RT825 Acoustic guitar strum
1:18 Enter RT621 Pedal Steel
2:01 Enter Nashville drums
2:41 Enter RT820 Electric guitar
3:30 End

thanks for listening,
Martin
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/23/12 05:56 PM
Hey that's pretty good. It's got that raspy texas troubadour feel to it (like Ryan Bingham).

It might be a little "left-heavy". The picking guitar is left and then the strumming guitar comes in on the left too (and the electric guitar is left). I would let the fingerpicking guitar go on and bring the strum guitar on the right. Or start with the picking guitar nearer the center and pan out as more things come on-board.

Nice one.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/23/12 07:58 PM
Martin,

Very nice! Like Kevin said, it's got a nice raspy Texas troubadour feel to it. I am listening on my Jawbone Jambox, so I don't really notice to separation issues that Kevin heard. To my ears, the steel is just a tad too dominant in places under your voice. I would maybe bring it back a little in the mix, or even cut it out in some places. But it's certainly not enough to make the mix bad, and again it could be the speakers I am listening to.

Great job. Keep up the good work!

Steve
Posted By: mnich Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/23/12 11:28 PM
Thanks guys

I guess since I had the pedal steel right, I was keeping all the gtrs left. Maybe I should center the pedal steel more, and spread the gtrs out.
Posted By: Sundance Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/24/12 05:56 AM
+1 enjoyed it.

Josie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/24/12 06:21 AM
hey, I liked this!

Your voice was a bit back in the mix on my speakers, but man, your voice sounded so good in that song!

I also like the way you phased the different sounds in to build the song slowly
Posted By: mnich Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/24/12 01:29 PM
Thanks Josie,

Thanks Pat, fellow NC'r.

Mixing is a big challenge to me, with all the speaker options of the "end user". My ringing ears, from too much rock 'n rollin' in the past as a bass player, doesn't help. My neighbor is a professional musician/studio owner. I am thinking of getting him to mix my songs. He is a member of The Hellecasters. Maybe he can add some tele licks if I offer to start cutting his grass.
Posted By: MarioD Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/25/12 03:42 PM
Quote:

hey, I liked this!

Your voice was a bit back in the mix on my speakers, but man, your voice sounded so good in that song!

I also like the way you phased the different sounds in to build the song slowly

A BIG +1

You live by one of the best Teli players around. Which one of the three is it?
Posted By: PRearden Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/26/12 02:28 AM
raspy texas troubadour. Whatever, It works. Ever think about shifting the key up a step or two? Chicks dig a strained country voice.
Posted By: mnich Re: An Alt-Country Waltz - 01/26/12 02:43 PM
MarioD asked:

Quote:

You live by one of the best Teli players around. Which one of the three is it?

Will
© PG Music Forums