PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/08/12 05:02 PM
Canadian Limited is the top tune on the list. SoundClick says it too short to chart so, with a little encouragement, I will lengthen it. Per Tim Lawrence's suggestion, I added a haunting steam whistle and train sounds as a first experiment. Let me know what you think. I intended to have the whistle pass through the listener's head from left to right but it came out dead center. Oh well, back to the drawing board. When Edison was asked for a progress report on the electric light he said:"Progress? Yes, we are making progress...we now know several thousand things that won't work!"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
Posted By: vzudell Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/08/12 06:05 PM
Don,
That old train whistle sounds good to me and I can hear those wheels clacking on down the track! It's a special treat for those of us that are old enough to remember that sound and associate it with fond memories. When they were phasing out the old engines in our area, they offered free train rides to those who wanted to make a memory so we took our grandson and climbed aboard the last steam engine for a trip down the tracks.

Yes, Edison was so right, one does make progress by learning what won't work. Time is not wasted in the learning process.

Val
Thanks for listening and commenting, Val, Much appreciated. I'm such an FOI that I can remember when the engineers would still wave to kids from the cabin ala Tom T Hall's song The Engineers Don't Wave From The Trains (Anymore). Kinda sad, that.

When my Dad had to work a double shift, I would rendezvous at a predesignated spot and I would bring his second lunch. I was probably 8 or 9 and still eager to sit on his knee and blow 2 longs, 1 short, and 1 long, the crossing signal. I knew them all as a lad. My Dad could tell who's at the throttle by their "signature" hand at the whistle. Very fond memories, m'lady.

Here's Tom T Hall with his sad farewell to the trains that you and I remember so fondly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQxYWiY4fM

Abrupt ending and amateur computer graphics, sorry.
Hey Don,

Sounds great with the train sounds in there.
One more suggestion.
Do a fade at the end. With train and whistle. I think that would sound great and would be symbolic.

Tim
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/08/12 08:09 PM
Very cool tune Don. The train sounds are great. I think the fade with a long whistle is neat.

I hear that train a comin' it's comin' around the bend!

I ain't seen the sunshine since i don't know when!
Quote:

Hey Don,

One more suggestion.
Do a fade at the end. With train and whistle. I think that would sound great and would be symbolic.

Tim

Tim, it does fade at the end but I didn't fade to nothing intentionally. Maybe if I add another series of whistles in the distance it would serve a dual purpose and make it long enough to chart at the same time.

Thanks Robh for listening/commenting. The nostalgia in doing this one was especially gratifying to me, my Dad was my best pal. He died in 1984 at age 85, (1899 - 1984). I miss him terribly. Perhaps you will meet him in the not too distant future.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/08/12 09:12 PM
Quote:

Hey Don,

One more suggestion.

Tim

Yo Don,

I also like the tune and agree with Tim's suggestion above as it would be a very nice touch both to the tune and the story.

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/08/12 09:18 PM
Fun Don. Great sound effects.

I've wondered what it would be like to take a long trip where you eat and sleep on the train like you see in old movies.
Josie, in my and Val's day (era) you'd be pickin' cinders out'cher teeth and coiffure, LOL. I guess Val and I have selective memories. (Chuckling)
Okay, I added a long, gradual fadeout at the end. I think it sounds better and it will allow charting, it's over the minimum length. Don't forget to rate me up. I learned a bunch with this one. I'll probably go back and do that cross-fade through the listener's head. That'll be way kewl! Stay tuned, Simon!
Don, I would pull down the volume of the train whistle in the middle section a bit. One other thing you could do on the fade out at the end would be to put huge hall reverb onto an aux bus, while you are fading out the song, gradual dial in the reverb on the aux buss. Along with that fade IN of the aux bus, gradually dial out some high frequencies using EQ. This will simulate that train moving out of the scene even more.

-Scott
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/09/12 05:30 AM
here's another consideration if you're looking for a sound that accurately portrays the whistle of a passing train:

When a train goes past the listener,the sound not only gets quieter, it also reduces in pitch due to the doppler effect.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Sound/dopplereffect.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzWAox8NCM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJL5oyDFIYY

Upshot is that the farther away the train gets, the whistle's pitch should sound progressively lower.
Okay, friends, I made the suggested changes - cut the middle series of whistles by 10dB; added both reverb and echo to the last two whistle series; then faded out the ending to nothing.

Sorry Pat, I played hooky when they were teaching Doppler Effect. One doesn't get much Doppler Effect in Proctology School and I eventually dropped out due to worldwide shortage of rectums. Them my Mom immediately jerked me slap outta college when she learned that the boys and girls were both having to share but a single curriculum. But you are certainly welcome to experiment with the track.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Another Train Tune In Memory Of My Dad - 04/09/12 08:09 PM
This sounds great to me Don. Excellent work.

Two thumbs up.
© PG Music Forums