PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline New song: "All That I Need" - 04/13/12 03:43 PM
For the main chords to this song I have to thank Steffen, on the Musician’s Collaboration site, where this song is still a collaboration in progress. I changed the middle eight a bit, added the lyrics and did all the instruments and vocal.
I think we have a show-stopping West End/Broadway-type song - what do you think?
"All That I Need".
Lyrics can be seen here.

The BIAB MIDI style I used was CR_SARAH Cr_Sarah Crossover Style.

John
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/13/12 06:08 PM
John,

Wow! I think you've got a winner here.
The music is just great and the lyrics just resonates universal appeal.
I mean who couldn't relate to the message in this song.
Back before I met my wife some 25 years ago I pretty much felt the way the character in this song does.
I look forward to hearing any updates to this one.
Two thumbs up sir.

Oh also gave a listen to your song Zero Sum World.
Another wow! Only thing wrong with it I can see is that I didn't write it. LOL.
You really have a gift.

Tim
Posted By: Superbron Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/14/12 05:55 PM
Hi John,

Great song, very good use of midi style.

Cheers,

Superbron
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/15/12 12:23 AM
I love it John, Great Singing! Great guitar picking! That would be all I need too!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/15/12 01:59 AM
Hi John,

What a great song! This is a credit to you songwriting ability, your arranging skills and singing. I was with you all the way. Since you mentioned that this is still a work in progress, one lyric thing that occurred to me as I listened was to wonder if you'd tried "All I need" with no "that". It could sound quite effective to hold "All" for the extra time that "that" uses. As I said, it's just something that popped into my head. Given your talent with music, though, I suspect you've been there, done that and decided against it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. It's a gold star from me.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/15/12 12:18 PM
John,

I haven't been around much lately (working six days a week), but I'm glad I caught this one. You're right about the 'Broadway' thing. This sounds like the singer is standing center stage in a Broadway musical.

Love the song, but particularly liked the change-up. Very nice work!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/15/12 03:02 PM
The simplicity of the arrangement, the clarity of the tracks really shine.

Very smooth and nicely done. Nice to hear a song that is clean, clear, and on pitch.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/15/12 10:58 PM
Quote:

The simplicity of the arrangement, the clarity of the tracks really shine.

Very smooth and nicely done. Nice to hear a song that is clean, clear, and on pitch.

A big +1.

This is a winner, even though it isn't done. Or is it?

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/17/12 07:40 AM
Many thanks guys for taking a listen, and for the kind comments.
Noel, I might give your suggestion a try, thanks!

John
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/18/12 07:39 PM
John,

What a nice song! Good arrangement, mix and vocals. My only critique would be that some of the midi instruments sound a little more midi than I would like. However I can relate to sticking with the midi instrument... The song I just posted has a midi piano part that I tried to change to a RT, but I just couldn't get a piano RT to generate as simple a part as the midi track (and I tried a bunch!) so I stayed with the midi piano.

Anyway, great job! I liked it.

Greg
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/19/12 08:03 AM
Thanks Greg.
Yes, that's a dilemma I have with RTs. Sometimes I tweak my MIDI tracks a lot because with most of my songs I know in my head how I want a song and its parts to sound. I do use RTs when they fit but I steer clear when I feel they are creating my song rather than me.

John
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New song: "All That I Need" - 04/21/12 06:45 PM
John,

I always enjoy your work, and this one is certainly no exception! You really nailed the vocals here. As to the "midi" sound, there are some really good midi piano sounds that are available, and would make a difference on this one, in my opinion.

Really enjoyed it!

Steve
© PG Music Forums