PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Feedback on mix..please! - 05/06/12 12:40 AM
I like this new composition, but I'm worried that I keep making mixes that are flat, or mushy...not taking advantage of best mixing practices...so I'd like to lean on all the sage experience here to give me some tips on how to sharpen this up:

http://soundcloud.com/tanomusic/sing-life

Song: Sing Life!Z
BIAB styles used: WR_HHop, WR_FAST, Salsa, Zawinul
I used 2 vocal tracks sung in unison, each panned slightly off center.
Also used "Clone Ensemble" VST to add a voice emphasis at end of verse.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Feedback on mix..please! - 05/06/12 09:28 AM
Sounds good to me TanoMusic; I'm not sure what you want to work on in order to improve it.

It's a very unique and individual piece, so I don't have any readily available benchmarks in my head to compare it against in order to offer mixing advice. The mix is very good as I can hear all the different instruments, i.e. they all have their own sonic space, which is good.

If you just want more overall zing and punch, then some overall compression and EQ can help with that, and an easier way to do that is to use mastering tools such as TRacks3 or Ozone5 for this.

Maybe you could let me know more precisely what you feel needs improving?

John
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Feedback on mix..please! - 05/06/12 12:18 PM
Thanks John...I was just looking for another set of ears...I really appreciate your comments...
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Feedback on mix..please! - 05/07/12 12:23 AM
This song has a pretty interesting feel to it. It kinda reminds me of some of the contemporary gospel musicals from way back in the 70's (Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc.)

The mix sounds good to me. Like John said, there is not a lot of "traditional" stuff out there to compare it to (that comes to my mind), so it's hard to have much of a baseline to compare. But as John said, every part has its space, and everything gets heard. I didn't hear any glaring problems to point out.

A pretty intricate arrangement here. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Feedback on mix..please! - 05/08/12 03:02 PM
I love the Latin rhythm. The chord changes are truly unique and interesting. All the half-steps in the melody are pretty cool too but I'll it was hard to sing.

I can hear what you mean about the mix. Perhaps it's just a little too low overall.

SD
© PG Music Forums