PG Music Home
I thought I'd put a song on here that's "NOT" done using Band In A Box for comparison. On eight of the twelve songs on my album, I used BIAB for the entire music tracks...on this song, I'm using studio musicians.

If you listen to this song and then to those where I used BIAB, you'll notice that 'yes' it's hard to beat Nashville session musicians...but then consider that this song cost about $1,700 to produce...the BIAB tracks were just the one time cost of the software...

Even so, this is still just a demo. I named the album "Nashville Demo Sessions" for a reason... the album is just a unique way to 'pitch' songs to publishers, producers, and established artists. Had this song been a 'master' session, the 'Union' recording session would have ran between three thousand and thirty five hundred dollars. Recording masters in Nashville isn't cheap!

That said, it's the 'song' that matters...and this is a pretty good one. I think you fathers with daughters will appreciate it! I did a pretty good job of singing it too considering I'm 65 I wrote it for my daughter's wedding.

"Father Daughter Lullaby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypi4VfbqMfk
I heard you song, and it's really, really, good. So you mentioned that you had this song done professionally? Did you use BIAB in much of your song, or was it just real live musician's? I am thinking of starting to record this way, I.E. Paying a real live demo service. I found one called "Nashville Demo Studio" Cost aren't to bad. Can get a song recorded for about $679.00 So, what I am asking would my money be better spent if I go this route? Or could I do just as good of a job with "Band In A Box"? Well, I hope to hear from you soon. Song sounds excellent..
Hello,

Very nice stuff. Is the nashville demo better than the other ones? Yes -- but to be truthful, not by too much. But of course, you need that extra 10-20% when it comes to pitching.

Have you attended Doak's 3rd Sunday get together: http://www.nashvillemuse.com/about . If not, do so on the 20th -- you'll love it.
Hi Bob, I use BIAB to record all of my demos... The ones that are actually picked up by publishers are usually re-cut by them. That's the case with this one... I rarely sing on the studio demos. I'm a pretty good singer, (former artist with Mercury and Warner Bros) but I'm not as 'country' as the publisher usually wants...They liked my voice on this one so I did the singing on the re-cut as well.

You can get some very nice demos using BIAB. I've pitched a lot of BIAB songs and had wonderful success with them. The key is in taking your time and making as good a demo as you can. All of the writers here pitch demos that are practically masters. The competition just demands it.

The 'union's are very powerful as well. Once a publisher picks up a song, they'll re-cut it as a 'union' demo session. That about doubles the cost of the demo. I get by just fine by doing everything myself.

"Father Daughter Lullaby" was all studio musicians. I have two other examples on here though that are all BIAB. Check them out. I'll be pitching them soon... I'd say, use BIAB for your demos and then if a publisher picks up a song, let them spring for the 'union' demo!
Journeyman, thank you for the 'tip' on Doak Turner and'The Nashville Muse.' I'll be looking up Doak's 3rd Sunday get together soon. I also signup up for his newsletter...

There's a lot of helpful things a songwriter can do in Nashville. Another one is to join the Nashville Songwriters Association International. (NSAI) They have chapters all over the world, but the heart of the organization is here in Nashville...

This is a fun town. It's easy to see how it gets its name of "Music City." But along with the fun, it's incredibly competitive here as well... the best songwriters and singers you'll find anywhere live and work here... I often think everyone in this town is a singer, songwriter, or musician. I hardly ever meet someone that isn't. Then again, I'm around 'creative' people in my business so it probably just feels that way...

Thanks again for the heads up!

Randy
© PG Music Forums