PG Music Home
Posted By: Curt Young I Still Do - 06/06/12 03:21 AM
(Deep Breath) Here Goes...

I am a regular listener to some of the great music that is posted on this site, but have been apprehensive to contribute anything myself.
This is my first attempt, and it still has a long way to go, especially on the vocal. I've been trying in vain to get a solid recording, but this is a start - hope you like it.

http://soundcloud.com/cryoung

I'll try to fix it & repost later with the style and instruments used.

Thanks to all of you who have challenged me to get started - I have several tunes I've written that I hope to put together.

Thanks PG Music for the top-notch software and website!
Posted By: seeker Re: I Still Do - 06/06/12 04:53 AM
Curt,

Really enjoyed your song.
You have have a very crystal clear nice voice.
Touching lyrics you have created.

I've been married 47 years this last may, so listened intently
to your lyrical story.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: I Still Do - 06/06/12 05:44 AM
Sounds good to me. Maybe add a touch of reverb to some of the instruments. You nailed the pedal steel. I agree, your vocals are clear and outstanding. Nice recording.
Posted By: Beagle Re: I Still Do - 06/06/12 01:11 PM
very nice, Curt! I like the tracks you've chosen and they're mixed pretty well. love the vocals and lyrics. very good stuff!
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Still Do - 06/06/12 01:23 PM
To be blunt this is one hell of a first attempt! This is one great song. I loved the lyrics and your vocal was spot on! You chose the perfect backing tracks for this one. Your mix was super.

Like jptjptjpt I thought just a tad of reverb on your mix would make it sound more like a live recording but this is nit picking to the nth degree.

Also you do not have to fix anything on this one. Keep everything as it is, with the possible exception of adding a tad of reverb. It is fantastic the way it is!

We will be celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary this July 1st and your song expressed exactly how I feel about my wife. Thanx!
Posted By: Curt Young Re: I Still Do - 06/07/12 02:08 AM
Your comments are so kind... Glad you enjoyed it!!!

I sang this at a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for some dear friends in Justin, Texas & promised them a recording of it... I'll add some reverb as suggested. I also want to redo the vocal as it is just a quick scratch, and add some harmony, which I struggle with.

What I could really use is "George-Strait-In-A-Box", or (Alan Jackson ?) as that is the sound I wish I could end up with.

Oh, we'll - we make the best with what we have, after all.

Congratulations, Frank and Mario!!! We just reached 31 years on May 9th...
Posted By: JCJazz Re: I Still Do - 06/07/12 12:45 PM
I really love the song. Everything about it was perfect . Grate 1st attempt .I was really hearing some Jim Croce feel coming threw, he is one of my all time favorites. Grate job again.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Still Do - 06/07/12 01:57 PM
Hi Curt,

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your song. You've got a wonderful sense of melody and harmonic texture. I'm envious! The crafting of the song, lyrics, arrangement and mix are first rate. If this is a "first effort", I can only imagine what few months down the track is going to bring.

I'm heading back for another listen now
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: I Still Do - 06/08/12 02:47 AM
No need for apprehension there. This is a great song and you definitely sang it from the heart.
Posted By: Curt Young Re: I Still Do - 06/08/12 09:40 AM
JC, Noel, John,

Thanks for listening! And thanks to all again for the suggestions and the words of encouragement!

It means a great deal to me to hear feedback from musicians and writers from this forum...
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: I Still Do - 06/08/12 03:46 PM
Solid song. Great use of BIAB. Outstanding lyrics. The production is good too, so I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I might change is instead of say "...that I still do," maybe just say "...I still do" and hold the words a little to cover the area where the "that" was. I think it would be smoother. But, that's just me. This has hit potential. Good one.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I Still Do - 06/09/12 07:41 PM
Curt,

Very good song! And you do have a nice voice. I really enjoyed this!

Steve
Posted By: Danny C. Re: I Still Do - 06/09/12 08:57 PM
Curt,

I can only echo what's been said already . . so I'll add to the list, great song very well performed.

Later,
Posted By: Curt Young Re: I Still Do - 06/10/12 01:19 AM
jp,

I'm sure I will take your advice on the ending when I am able to record the final vocal. Thanks!

Steve,

I'm glad you like it - I only hope that when I complete this I can get something remotely close to a mix & background vocals I've heard on so many of your songs.

Danny,

I appreciate your thoughts as well.

And thanks again to all of you who post great songs on a regular basis! Listening to what others accomplish reminds me that if I will continue to work at it, I can get past the learning curve & have fun with this!
© PG Music Forums