PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Civil War Song and Video - 06/06/12 09:02 PM
Howdy all,

My wife and I have been working with BIAB for a short period and have completed about a dozen efforts. We played in a bluegrass band for years (bass / rhythm guitar) and have immensely enjoyed recording different genres with BIAB. However, this link is to a acoustic "roots" song we wrote and just recorded that features all BIAB realtracks other than my wife's vocal. We set the tune to some actual Civil War photos to help tell the story. If interested you can view it here and thanks for taking the time:

Dear Mama on Vimeo
Posted By: seeker Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/06/12 09:25 PM
Mootsman,

I was enamored with the story and how you put it together with the photo's.
Excellent use of the banjo and violin.
Felt like I was there with your wife's vocals delivering the lyrics.

Thanks for you hard work and sharing with us!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/07/12 01:42 AM
Very Cool Song and Video! Nice Sangin too!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/08/12 08:33 AM
Well done on both the song and video. Well put together, and the vocal recording was excellent.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/08/12 01:53 PM
very nice. thanks for sharing.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/08/12 03:35 PM
Wow! That is all BIAB instrumentation? That is so great. Outstanding song. Great video too. I love it!

I did a Civil War song and video too a while back. It was before my BIAB days. It is me playing piano. It's called "Rose Hill":

http://youtu.be/v4KvTrHQXwA

It's a slow, sad one.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/09/12 06:27 AM
Love it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/09/12 06:57 AM
Hi Mootsman,

Congratulations to you and your wife on a great song. The slideshow is an excellent fit. Your wife's singing is superb and showcases a really well-crafted and well-presented song. It's a standing ovation from me!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/09/12 01:14 PM
Thank all of you very much for your kind comments. We appreciate everybody taking the time to remark. I wish I could post some of my wife's singing on our other non Bluegrass efforts but they are covers -- mostly alt-country or light jazz versions of Mellancamp, CCR, Allman Bros, John Hiatt, Lucinda Williams, etc.

Having played in nothing but bluegrass bands it has been both interesting and fun to explore other genres. So far we have used only Realtracks and one Blue mic for vocals. We transfer the tracks from BIAB over to Garageband for effects and mixing.

One thing I've found, at least for us, is that it is much harder to create Bluegrass tunes than alt-country or country rock. We have the complete catalog of Bluegrass Realtracks but it remains pretty limited. I have to do a huge amount of cut/paste, etc., to get the rhythm guitar and bass tracks to fit my notion of a good track re the runs, etc. For the solos I generate many many versions and piece them together. I'm sure you folks do this with your respective genres -- it's just that I can put together a drums/electric instruments/horns track a lot quicker than I've been able to with acoustic instruments.

Again, thanks and I'll post one of our straight ahead Bleugrass songs that we wrote. I don't know if there are many hardcore Bluegrass fans here -- so you might have to go to a "Bluegrass Exposure" support group after listening!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/09/12 02:28 PM
Simply beautiful! Thank you.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/09/12 07:21 PM
Mootsman,

Very well done. Janice has a fine voice for Bluegrass/Country. Good job!

Steve
Posted By: Curt Young Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/10/12 01:23 AM
Mootsman,

Such a beautiful song... and your wife's voice is a perfect fit for it.

I hope to hear more from you soon!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Civil War Song and Video - 06/21/12 07:37 PM
Several folks have told us that they had problems playing the Vimeo version of our song. This is a link to the same video on Youtube but the file is smaller and should load easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMx6Jui1Cw

Thanks again for the nice comments! Janice and I have been on the road but plan soon to sit down and listen to many songs on this forum -- just doesn't work out well on the iPhone!
© PG Music Forums