PG Music Home
Posted By: PgFantastic My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/22/12 07:26 AM
Here is my latest song and this time I added harmony, lol. I will post the instruments tomorrow, I forgot to write them down. The lead vocal has no pitch corretion; here are the steps used to create The harmony in Melodyne. The instruments include

As promised here are the instruments.

1122 Acoustic Bass
826 Finger Picking Acoustic Guitar
830 Electric Guitar Rhythm
829 Electric Guitar Rhythm
831 Acoustic Piano
Real Drums Nashville Classic Waltz HH SD ST RD SN

The steps to create it were as follows

1. took a copy of lead vocal and correct pitch 100% (did not use the corrected vocal in the mix as I was trying to create a wider space between the harmonies and a more realistic feel.
2. made 2 copies of it one raised 3rd the other 6th
3. once the harmonies were done i added random pitch, and offset timing in between 1/8 1/16 1/32 notes throughout.
4. hand moved individual notes randomly to hit ahead of lead vocal and then the other back of lead vocal randomly.
5. trick I used to get the spacious sound for the harmonies was to put the reverb effect on the actual channel strip. I then added a group bus and ran the harmonies to it. What that created was a very wet harmony and then another completely dry version so to my ears made it sound as though there are more than 2 voices.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know what you think of the song and the harmonies. Thanks!

My Redeemer Lives
Posted By: Tommyc Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/22/12 11:11 AM
I Love It Robert! Your songs always make my day!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/23/12 02:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback Tommyc. It is appreciated!
Posted By: musiclover Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/25/12 11:10 PM
Great song and harmonies Robert. When You made a copy of the vocals and moved by a third and sixth did you then have to change many of the notes so that they would fit harmony wise?

I have a copy of melodyne myself so just wondered is it very difficult to do the harmony using it?

Thanks very much Robert, love your music

Musiclover
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/26/12 03:12 PM
Musiclover, thank you for your feedback. To answer your question, just about all the notes fall correctly. I did have to correct the pitch shift on 2 or 3 notes after moving them. Which is also done in Melodyne. It is very simple to do. Right click and go to pitch shift.

To make harmonies;
1. correct the pitch of the original to your taste, I used 100%

2. use command to copy track to a seperate track.

3. click on the copied track and begin creating your harmony, by highlighting the notes you want to move. Either up the scale or down.

4. Once that is done move from side to side the notes so that they are a just a very very very small amount ahead or behind the lead vocal, as a harmony singer very seldom is perfectly timed with the lead. Remember to erase all of the notes you do not want. There will be a list containing all of the tracks. Use the down arrow to find the track you want and mute all others. Once the harmony is the way you want it, make an audio file to use in your daw. Continue until you have made an audio file for all of the harmonies you have created. I hope this is helpful. If you have anymore questions feel free to post. I will get back to you as soon as I read it.

I created 2 seperate harmonies from start to finish; I did not time it but it probably took 15 minutes total. I hope this helps if you have any other questions feel free to post.
Posted By: Beagle Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/27/12 02:57 PM
Robert, this is quite nice. I love the song, very nice use of melodies, very laid back vocal. the harmonies turned out quite well this way. I've used this method before when I didn't have anyone to record harmony with and you've done a good job on it.

the mix is pretty good, too. not too much to critique!

thanks for sharing - this is good work!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/29/12 06:02 AM
Thanks Beagle for the critique, it is much appreciated; as well as all who have taken the time to give a listen.

My Music
Posted By: rsdean Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/29/12 05:27 PM
Robert,

Great song - love the way you worked the harmony in on this one. Very nice!

Bob
Posted By: furry Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 06/30/12 10:58 AM
Love the song Robert. Nice arrangement as well.
Posted By: MarioD Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 07/01/12 02:07 AM
Great song, mix, vocals and lyrics, as always in your songs.

I would love to hear this with a choir backing you up!

Great song!
Posted By: musiclover Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 07/02/12 10:19 AM
Quote:

Musiclover, thank you for your feedback. To answer your question, just about all the notes fall correctly. I did have to correct the pitch shift on 2 or 3 notes after moving them. Which is also done in Melodyne. It is very simple to do. Right click and go to pitch shift.

To make harmonies;
1. correct the pitch of the original to your taste, I used 100%

2. use command to copy track to a seperate track.

3. click on the copied track and begin creating your harmony, by highlighting the notes you want to move. Either up the scale or down.

4. Once that is done move from side to side the notes so that they are a just a very very very small amount ahead or behind the lead vocal, as a harmony singer very seldom is perfectly timed with the lead. Remember to erase all of the notes you do not want. There will be a list containing all of the tracks. Use the down arrow to find the track you want and mute all others. Once the harmony is the way you want it, make an audio file to use in your daw. Continue until you have made an audio file for all of the harmonies you have created. I hope this is helpful. If you have anymore questions feel free to post. I will get back to you as soon as I read it.

I created 2 seperate harmonies from start to finish; I did not time it but it probably took 15 minutes total. I hope this helps if you have any other questions feel free to post.

Sorry for the dealy Robert in saying Thank you very much for this explanation, which I have saved for future reference.

musiclover
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My Redeemer Lives with harmony - 07/03/12 05:17 AM
Thanks Furry, MarioD, Rsdean for the kind critique. Musiclover, I am glad I could help. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask. If I know the answer I will try to convey it.
© PG Music Forums