PG Music Home
Posted By: musiclover Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 12:44 AM
Hi folks,

Just finished this little song called “Foreman for Murphy” about a guy who goes to work on a building site in London on the advice of his friend but ends up exploiting everyone in order to further his own ambitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQ8wvzg2z8&feature=plcp

-nnsh ^ 09.sty Nashville Shuffle

I step edited the notes for the intro and verse accordion in the notation edit window, not perfect but passable I think

Hope you might give it a listen, and comments gratefully appreciated

Thanks very much
Musiclover
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 12:56 AM
Ahh! very refreshing.
Just what I need in my life a bit of a jig.

Great job.
Thanks for posting.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 01:00 AM
Thanks Rob, glad you liked it, hope you take up Irish dancing after listening to that!

musiclover
Posted By: Sundance Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 01:21 AM
"rant and rave and always sack a few" LOL! Very entertaining musiclover. Nice job on the video too.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 10:26 AM
Thanks Josie, unfortunately working on building sites in the past was very much like this, hard working men during the day at the mercy of a ganger or foreman, and then when the days work was done it was either back to a lonely bedsit or downing about a dozen pints in the pub to get rid of the loneliness.

Hope everything is going well for you and your songwriting.

musiclover
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 12:19 PM
Quote:

"rant and rave and always sack a few" LOL! Very entertaining musiclover. Nice job on the video too.

yeah, I liked that line too! It calls for a new meter:

S A C K - O - M E T E R
RANT________/_RAVE

Great storytelling! Storytelling used to be the mainstay of folk music, but its not as common as it once was. But I like it. The closest thing I've heard on this side of the pond is the Cape Breton style of storytellin' songs. (Seems like everybody from Cape Breton has a story to tell)

And if your song is all MIDI, I have to comment on the accordion! Sounded great to my ears!

And one last thought: if you're from the UK, you should put that in your BIO so it shows up when you post.I like the fact that we have such an international group here on the forum. Let it be known!

thanks for posting!
Posted By: musiclover Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 01:14 PM
Thanks Pat. love your Sack-O-Meter, you should patent that idea

The accordion is accordion 2 in GM2 I think, that style has a nice rhythm accordion so it was just a matter of putting in a lot of triplet notes as a soloist part, can't read music very well so its a bit of an experiment trying it out, thanks to everyone who give me advice on the biab forum on how to enter notes in the notation. I use the vsc dxi with windows 32 bit as I like that synth.

Realtracks are great too, but its nice to be able to be able to edit the midi part as above.

musiclover
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 01:45 PM

Very nice! And I agree, the accordion really works. I also really enjoy story songs.

Steve
Posted By: Mandolin Mike Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 02:57 PM
Hoisting a pint! Wait, it's only 10am here... hoisting a Bloody Mary instead!

Nice job, very good!
Posted By: musiclover Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/24/12 07:47 PM
Thanks very much for your comments Steve and Mike. I probably should correct myself that its an all midi style except for real druns, as I probably thought that for some reasons the drums don't count as part of the style, I think they do give a more live feeling to things.

musiclover
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/25/12 07:13 PM
Big smile here! Reminder that there are, in fact, interesting every-day situations that one can write about and create something interesting...after all, we can't (most of us) fall in love, out of love, etc. everyday!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 07/31/12 06:01 PM
Musiclover,
Great tune! You just can't help smile while listening.
SD
I am London born and half a Murphy on my mum's side(orange and green).Was half expecting to hear the terms "donkey jacket" or "navvy" in this wee ditty...much enjoyed,tanks!
Regards,
Tony C
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 08/02/12 11:37 AM
Great Song! I think the rant and rave and always sack a few happens on any job any where!
Posted By: pinglis Re: Foreman for murphy-original song. - 08/04/12 12:42 PM
Good song. The accordion sounds surprisingly real! I like the storyline and the song builds nicely - I was half-expecting the story to run out of steam but you surprised me: it actually got even better as it went along.
© PG Music Forums