PG Music Home
Posted By: Mandolin Mike New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/30/12 03:47 AM
Here's the follow up to my last 'low profile' song submission.

This one is more of a bluesy/rocker. Here is the Memo song profile:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Title: She's A Mean Heartbreaker
File:She's A Mean Heartbreaker.MGU
Key=A , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:50
No intro. 111 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 111. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 95 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo , Time signature,Volume Changes,
Style is _RKUPBM1.STY (Rock Uptempo Brent Mason)
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: ~~1011:Bass, Electric, BritInvasion Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~496:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 1 Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~502:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 2 Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^7-a,b:Snare, HiHat
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eventhough there are already 2 rhythym Real Tracks used in the song (dang hot too!), I layered in another rhythym track using my Strat, and also added my own lead solo and a couple of other fills.

My original intention was to get my guitar slingin' friend to add his touch to it, but we only get together and jam once a week or so, and I wanted to get something out here so that I could start work on another project. Still, he likes what he has heard of the song and has graciously accepted my invitation to record on it. Accordingly, I might post another version, when we get around to getting his part done.

In the mean time, I always appreciate your thoughts, ideas and suggestions on this piece 'o work.

Thanks, Folks!

PS - The lyrics are extremely cliche (among lots of other things, I need to work on lyrical creativity) and I haven't had a chance to type out all the lyrics yet, but here is the main chorus:

She's a mean heartbreaker
She always makes me feel so blue,
She a mean heartbreaker, thru and thru..

She's a mean heartbreaker
She hurts me just as much as she can,
She breaks my heart and gives it to another man

And here's the link:

She's A Mean Heartbreaker
Posted By: seeker Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/30/12 04:35 AM
Mike,

I really like the song, not my normal genre "Like", but
with the great dance beats, and guitar work, and your vocals
cliche or not makes the song. Liked the ending.

A lot of hard work, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/30/12 01:16 PM
Mandolin Mike,

Where's the mandolin? Just kidding!

Good job. I enjoyed this one.

Steve
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/30/12 01:31 PM
This would be a great song for a live venue... it's bouncy, has appeal to the demographic that tends to hang out in taverns with live music, and you are clearly having fun with it.

There are lots of songs posted here that I admire technically, but they're "listenin' music", not dance music. Dance music can get away with things that wouldn't work in other songs. You mentioned cliche-ridden lyrics... IMO, that works fine in any song that shoots for a wide audience (because cliches are the collective knowledge of the masses)

If you were writing a love song to your wife, THAT'S a good time to make sure you don't use cliches, because that song would be specific to one person.

Anyway, Fun song! I enjoyed it!
Thanks for the early comments.

I'll pull the mandolin down again at some point. At the moment, I guess I have some 'edgier' oats to sow for now.

I don't have much experience with writing lyrics, but now I'm certainly paying much closer attention to what others write - both pros and non-pros. My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing James Taylor recently and were blessed with 3rd row seats. In the past, I would have listened more to the instruments and the performance aspects of the concert and this time I found myself more focused on the lyrics; not just the words themselves, but the cadence/timing of the words, enunciation, emphasis, etc. It is a whole new dimension for me to explore and something I want to develop in my own music..

Posted By: seeker Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/30/12 04:53 PM
7 or 8 years ago got involved in a back and forth
poetry writing thing on another music forum.

In the process ran across this. Its an invaluable tool.

http://www.rhymezone.com/

It will also identify phrases and letters ending with word entered.

As you use it, hesitate just for a moment after typing the word,
and a drop down alternate words will appear.
Posted By: Buford Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/31/12 01:51 AM
Nice down-n-dirty rock and roll with a cool "Honky Tonk Women" vibe. You could sing almost any lyric and it would work. But rockers do love their cliches. I'm trying to figure out the line "she breaks my heart and gives it to another man"...does that mean she's also a man, or is "it" a euphemism for...well...you know.

I'd like to hear some slapback echo on your voice. Kinda rockabilly style.

Such fun. Keep 'em coming.

Bob
Thanks, Bob.

Reflecting on the "it" in the lyric, it does indeed refer to that sometimes elusive commodity most men crave. It is a bit of an awkward way to convey the line, but it is what "it" is...

Yes - I will try to slap-back the vocals some and see how that sounds. 'preciate the tips!

Frank - I came across that rhymezone link just the other day and used it to wordsmith a place or two in this particular song. Thanks, though...makes me wonder what we ever did before the Internet????

Thanks again, guys...
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 07/31/12 06:15 AM
Thsi is a mean tune.
Good work Mr Mandolin
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 08/02/12 11:34 PM
ROCK and ROLL! Cool Song Mandolin Mike, Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Rob and Tommy..

I'm still re-working the song, and have added in song cool new honky tonk piano from one of the new Midi Super Tracks...

Guess I need to move on from this particular project and onto something else soon. This one is wearin' me out!
Posted By: Buford Re: New Song - She's A Mean Heartbeaker - 08/04/12 04:47 AM
That's how you know when they're done; When you're just one play away from barfing on your shoes.

Bob
© PG Music Forums