PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Feedback please....Christmas In Montana - 07/31/12 07:52 PM
What can I do to sharpen this up? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/tanomusic/christmas-in-montana
Lovely song. Gonna be close to 100 degrees here today, so images of Christmas are more than welcomed.

Good job....
Posted By: dcuny Re: Feedback please....Christmas In Montana - 08/01/12 07:27 PM
Here are some random thoughts:

I don't think the bass and piano supported each other well on the introduction. Hold off on the bass until the verse begins.

It's good to hear the vocals in front, but the instruments - especially the piano - are just too far back in the mix.

The doubled vocal sounds like two voices. I suspect that you want it to sound more like a single voice, but stronger.

I like the addition of the harmonies. More! And more parts!

Adding in the slide guitar makes for a good change in texture. If you could do something similar in other parts of the mix - changing things for contrast - it would help. For example, you could add strings on the second verse.

You're aiming for a big ending. How overdubbing a bunch "ooohs" and "aaahs" underneath, and 3 part harmony on the final chorus?

Hope this helps!
Hi Tano,
This tune and it's sentiment kinda remind me of "The Green Green Grass of Home",which is a classic indeed.
Here are my suggestions in hopes that you might find them useful.
The steel guitar might need to be comping throughout and a solo break would be nice.I found that the BIAB session player's tasty licks really helped my vocal phrasing when I used it.You can then edit to your taste afterwards if necessary.
Instead of the double tracked vocals,maybe try doing multiple takes with careful phrasing(might have to lose an "and" etc or two)You can then comp the best of these takes to sound as fab as possible(I do it all the time..usually works pretty well).
The Christmas list verse could be done as "spoken word" and might be a nice touch(it sure worked for Elvis,George and Tom Jones)
Definitely some harmonies on most of the "goin' home for Christmas in Montana" lines(a female voice or two would be a treat here).
I enjoyed listening to your song,thanks!
Regards,
Tony C (who believes he's someone named Anthony Fabulous these days)
Thanks all for the suggestions...I will work to get them in by Christmas!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Feedback please....Christmas In Montana - 08/02/12 11:02 PM
I think the piano needs a little more volume, if you are anything like me you will be lucky to get it done by Christmas! lol Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums