PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud A little original blues number..... - 08/04/12 10:14 PM
My wife and I haven't been feeling the love for the hometown lately so we came up with this little blues ditty the other day to maybe help work things out. We didn't do as much genre bending as we did on the ReggaeBilly tune but we did use a realtracks mix and match approach. I'll probably end up playing bass on it at some point as I can't get quite what I want with the realtrack. All pretty simple but it was tedious to get the realtraks to play the blues turnaround that I wanted and make it sound right (A/A7/D/Dm)

Vocal: My wife Janice via a USB Blue mic and her usual one take.

The rest of the tracks are all BIAB realtracks. The dobro and piano tracks are a composite of many renderings. Everything was copied to Garageband for mixing.

We have a couple of friends who are extraordinary harmonica and guitar blues pickers and at some point, if we don't lose interest in the tune, we may get them to play on it or an extended version.

Thanks for listening!

The Milledgeville Blues
Posted By: seeker Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/04/12 11:19 PM
Mootsman,

Really enjoyed the song. Your wife's vocals are really classy, she has great talent.
I do not know enough about blue's construction to comment there, but did like
the "blue's" feeling to the song.

One take....Whats wrong with that.... its great.

Thanks for nice song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/05/12 12:21 AM
Quote:

Mootsman,

Really enjoyed the song. Your wife's vocals are really classy, she has great talent.
I do not know enough about blue's construction to comment there, but did like
the "blue's" feeling to the song.

One take....Whats wrong with that.... its great.

Thanks for nice song.

Thanks! There's nothing wrong with her one takes - just something we joke about. I'll spend a of time setting up a rhythm section for her and then she will nail the vocal in one go around. About the only time she'll do several is on certain harmony parts.
I love this style of music, and you both have a knack for making it work. I, for one, would be very interested in the extended version, if that's what winds up happening. Otherwise, I'll look forward to your next submission. Either way is a certain "win".

BTW, an old boss of mine retired to Milledgeville. I think his wife might teach school around there. Haven't talked to him a quite a while, but I sometimes wonder if he gets a tad stir crazy living in such a small town. Until this point in his life, he'd been more of an "urban" type of fellow.
Posted By: Skyline Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/05/12 08:06 AM
Janice, Bud, that's really cool. Excellent track and the vocal is spot on bluesy. Loved it!

John
Posted By: wilko Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/05/12 12:01 PM
hello

very nice, it really shows real tracks possibility
your wife has a really nice voice and sing very well

could you post the lyrics as english is not my language ?
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/07/12 02:19 PM
Quote:

hello

very nice, it really shows real tracks possibility
your wife has a really nice voice and sing very well

could you post the lyrics as english is not my language ?

Here you go:

The Milledgeville Blues

We’re strugglin’ hard, trying to have a little fun
We’re strugglin’ hard, trying to have a little fun
Cause this town’s never been a walk in the sun

Y'all can tell us no, dontcha think of moving on
Y'all can tell us no, dontcha think of moving on
But the best thing outta here might be 441

Got a lot of good friends living all round this town
Got a lot of good friends living all round this town
But lots of times the Ville still brings us down

Sometimes it’s so bad we can't take our rest
Sometimes it’s so bad we can't take our rest
These Milledgeville blues, they're pushing us West

repeat

BTW, 441 is the main highway out of our town
Posted By: wilko Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/07/12 05:39 PM

thank you
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/08/12 11:45 PM

I did some tweaking on the tune today:

- changed the compression and EQ on the vocal
- lowered the rhythm guitar gain and panned it and the mandolin rhythm
- mixed in a completely new bass track (realtrack Jazz in 4's)
- slightly extended the fadeout
- cleaned up some of the dobro and piano fills

Think this will be it until I get off my lazy butt and play bass on it.

The changes probably aren't worth a relisten but here it is. Cheers.

http://soundcloud.com/mootsman/the-milledgeville-blues
Posted By: MarioD Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/09/12 12:55 PM
I love the blues and you did it justice! I really like your mix here, super job, as well as your wife’s vocals.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: A little original blues number..... - 08/09/12 06:34 PM
Love your Wife's Singing! Cool Song!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A little original blues number..... - 09/07/12 07:23 PM
Excellent vocal.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A little original blues number..... - 09/07/12 10:57 PM
Very nice! Your wife's vocals really shine on this one.

Steve
Posted By: Danny C. Re: A little original blues number..... - 09/08/12 04:54 PM
Quote:

Janice, Bud, that's really cool. Excellent track and the vocal is spot on bluesy. Loved it!

John

+1 a very enjoyable listen, great job guys!

Later,
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A little original blues number..... - 09/08/12 07:32 PM
Is your wife FROM Georgia? I don't hear ANY Dixie in that voice at all. Had I heard that without your location stated, I would have said Ohio or that state up north of us.

Nice tune, well constructed, and One-Take Wife nails it cold. Love the dobro.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A little original blues number..... - 09/08/12 07:57 PM
Interesting, she's spent her entire 50+ years in GA and is kidded about her North GA accent...but when she sings I just never know what is going to appear! Check out some of our Bluegrass on Soundcloud for a sample of her in full Southern mode. Thanks for the kind words re the song. I played in a BG band for 25 years with a great dobro picker so I'm pretty surprised at this real track.

http://soundcloud.com/mootsman
© PG Music Forums